Blown Husky 350...now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that you have had the muffler off, make sure you keep it tight. Most 350s die because of a muffler falling off, and melting the oil tank. They are VERY common to get loose.

That was another issue I ran into when I opened it up, one of the bolts is stripped out. It goes back in OK and it tightens up as it bottoms out, just tough getting it in there. The other bolt looks perfect, just a bit of rust on top of the threads. Bad design. I have an allen key in my toolbox, will check them every time it's run. Thanks for the heads up!

Plug color was a dry dark brown when I pulled it. I need to get a tach so I can tune it properly, although it appears to have a black, unlimited coil. Shop supposedly tuned it but the clutch wants to engage and creep the chain at idle and it wasn't doing that before.

Here's an update on my 350. I've been chasing an air leak with this saw(been having issues with getting it tuned and running reliably), and decided to investigate. Found that the intake boot is loose, and the real kicker is that the fuel line was split at the tank end and the filter was loose in the tank! So the question now is, can I replace the boot without taking off the cylinder? I'd really rather not have to take it off because I have limited experience with working on saws. I'm leaning towards taking it to the shop and having them put on the intake boot and rebuilding the carb. I can put it back together from there...I think, lol. I'm glad I found these issues because the piston and cylinder is still in good condition(from what I can see through the intake and exhaust) but I don't think that would have lasted long with these issues!

IMAG0614.jpgIMAG0613.jpg

Definitely get a new fuel line and filter on there.
That intake boot clamp is the plastic style, and it can be prone to leak. There is an update for saws with that style plastic clamp that replaces with a metal one. You should probably get the new clamp ASAP! That darn plastic clamp has probably killed a number of 350/353/346/357/359's.....
Oh and I don't think you can replace that clamp without pulling the cylinder. Least I couldn't find a way when I updated the one on my 357xp...

Did the 350 have removable transfer covers? Or is that a 353 cylinder?
I don't know 350 ish saws that well.

I was afraid of that. If I weren't needing the saw for firewood gathering, now would be a great time to send it off to get it ported. But I'm needing a quick fix here. So it's probably headed to the shop tomorrow.

This 350 has the "45L" 45mm cylinder and a flat-topped 353 piston.

I need a lot of things but a new saw ain't one of 'em! I'll get this 350 running good if it's the last thing I do. :)

The old 400 might have to suck it up and git er' done in the meantime!

Tree Fiddy is getting sent out in the morning to Old Cat in beautiful WA state for some scenic views, fresh air and some TLC.

Well, the mail girl brought my saw back rebuilt, ported and squished this morning. All I can say is wow! This thing screams in the cut and purrs like a kitten at idle, no more chasing a good tune. A 1/4 turn out on the H screw after she warmed up and it just eats wood for breakfast. Might get some video next time I go out to cut.

Thanks again, Old Cat!

IMAG0632.jpg

The way it looks like you are going through the wood you might want to get a 372 to back that 350 up. Hats off to you and glad its up and going again.

The way it looks like you are going through the wood you might want to get a 372 to back that 350 up. Hats off to you and glad its up and going again.

I'm one step ahead of you with that idea, a clean 372xp is definitely on the wish list...but right now it's just that, a wish. "Tree Fiddy" is going to help that cause though, with the wood it cuts! And it cuts wood good!

Got a chance to get out and run the 350 through some wood today. Got a couple videos of both saws. I'm just tickled at how the 350 runs, it's very impressive. I had gone out the other evening and was going to do some cuts and wouldn't you know it, the first cut was to take off a knot and it threw the BRAND NEW loop of BPX and chewed up the drivers to where they wouldn't go back in the rail! Spent the rest of the evening with a triangle and round file cleaning up my mistake. But got it back on and man does she cut. The stock CS400 w/ 91VXL chain is no slouch, either!

It cracks me up how people can afford a 10-15K thousand dollar lawn mower and want a cheap saw....

And your chains are way too tight

Want and need are two different things, pal. Thanks for the opinion, I'll put it away in the smartass file.

Have fun swinging your cheap, limp wristed fiberglass Fiskars.

Latest posts

Back