Blown Stihl 036 with 1 hour on rebuild. What happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordsoll

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, today I blew my Stihl 036. I started it and just as I was about to cut I revved it and it stalled. As soon as I pulled the cord I knew I had blown the saw. I used a chinese piston with my oem cylinder with a base gasket delete, the saw had a ton of power. I think I knocked a hole in the piston. I will take it apart tonight but who has a good guess as to what happened? Spark plug looked perfect and the saw ran perfect until it blew.

Wrist pin circlip popped out and possibly the wrist pin slid out catching in a port.

Or- How come I have this little round G shaped clip thing left on the bench after building this saw?
Oh well, never mind- lets run it! :laugh:

Could be something as simple as failure to correct whatever took out the first piston that required replacing.
Could be the first one burned out, was replaced and then the saw was filled from the same gas tank that contained straight gas......

But without some kind of clue and or photographic evidence- we are just guessing at popular causes.

Pictures would maybe help answer your question(s). How much squish did you have without the base gasket with that chy-kneez piston?

Hopefully you didn`t ruin the cylinder. Put OEM parts in it next time. There`s a good reason why OEM Sthil parts cost a little more. A piston, rings, circlips, is not something you want to skimp $ on.

Hello, today I blew my Stihl 036. I started it and just as I was about to cut I revved it and it stalled. As soon as I pulled the cord I knew I had blown the saw. I used a chinese piston with my oem cylinder with a base gasket delete, the saw had a ton of power. I think I knocked a hole in the piston. I will take it apart tonight but who has a good guess as to what happened? Spark plug looked perfect and the saw ran perfect until it blew.
So how much money and time did you save with the china junk piston?

Sometimes the ring pin stop comes out.
That seems to be what happened. It dented the piston and caused the rings to get stuck. Well I have learned my lesson with these amazon piston kits. Luckily the cylinder is fine but I will try to clean it more before I put a new piston in. I also deleted the decompression button because I don't really care for them anyways and I didn't want to factor in the button whenever the saw is running bad. Maybe I will take pictures. Any piston and rings recommendations that ship to Canada?

That seems to be what happened. It dented the piston and caused the rings to get stuck. Well I have learned my lesson with these amazon piston kits. Luckily the cylinder is fine but I will try to clean it more before I put a new piston in. I also deleted the decompression button because I don't really care for them anyways and I didn't want to factor in the button whenever the saw is running bad. Maybe I will take pictures. Any piston and rings recommendations that ship to Canada?
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

That is a good by on the meteor piston. Clean the cylinder up good and that piston will make good compression.
I've got a nice MS 362 with a broken rear handle, listed in the Arboristsite trading post. I'm selling the whole power head for $125. Use my piston and cylinder, and part out the rest of the 362.

Latest posts

Back