Blown Stihl 036 with 1 hour on rebuild. What happened?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That seems to be what happened. It dented the piston and caused the rings to get stuck. Well I have learned my lesson with these amazon piston kits. Luckily the cylinder is fine but I will try to clean it more before I put a new piston in. I also deleted the decompression button because I don't really care for them anyways and I didn't want to factor in the button whenever the saw is running bad. Maybe I will take pictures. Any piston and rings recommendations that ship to Canada?
Ring ends (& pin) should be on the inlet side of the cylinder... are you sure you didn't put the piston in backwards?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WE NEED PICTURES!!!!
From the man who lives in a van down by the river.

Funny how this stuff comes up and I have one in the shop the same way. This is why I save the old pin keepers. I have not had one of the Stihl keepers come out, even reused.

Aftermarket style:

View attachment 1125004

Versus OEM style:

View attachment 1125005

Best not to use the aftermarket ones. Throw them away and fit OEM ones
Be careful about replacing oem circlips in AM pistons. Sometimes the dimensions don't match. That's the problem with AM stuff...no consistency dimensionally or metallurgically. The best you.can do AM wise is use the entire "kit" and hope for the best outcome. Mixing and matching isn't often a great option

Be careful about replacing oem circlips in AM pistons. Sometimes the dimensions don't match. That's the problem with AM stuff...no consistency dimensionally or metallurgically. The best you.can do AM wise is use the entire "kit" and hope for the best outcome. Mixing and matching isn't often a great option
I run Stihl cir clips in Echo pistons. Yes, they are a bigger groove but not smaller bores cut in. Going the other way can cause issues.

Edited

Back