Blown up 029 and 372XPW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COLD_IRON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So my BIL has a blown up 029 and a 372XPW. The 029 is in 1 piece, the 372 was disassembled by a shop and he was told it would be $400 to fix. The saws were suspected of being straight-gassed because they blew up at the same time and the same operator toasted them both (a friend of BIL).

I was wondering about your opinions on this because I would like to rebuild them so I could use them for backups and what not and to gain some small engine experience.

Specifically, I am wondering about the feasibility and the price I should offer him on these. I went on Baileys and it looks like I can get the 372 rebuilt ok but they don't offer 029 parts - ebay or AS then?

Build the 372, cant go wrong. Throw the 029 in the river. Never had much luck with them. Just my .02.

I have rebuilt dozens of 029's. You need an authorized Stihl dealer to get OEM parts. Baileys carries a few that they have bought at stores closing etc. Tons of stuff on ebay. I have had about a 50% success rate at cleaning up 029 cylinders. Your results may vary.

Lots of parts available for the 029. It's not my favorite saw, but it's not a bad saw either.

Other sponsors here other than Bailey's have parts for that saw.

Gary

Hi Gary! Nice to see the locals now and then.

I just want the 029 as a backup and for cutting really nasty stuff that I wouldn't send the 361 in to do.

So my BIL has a blown up 029 and a 372XPW. The 029 is in 1 piece, the 372 was disassembled by a shop and he was told it would be $400 to fix. The saws were suspected of being straight-gassed because they blew up at the same time and the same operator toasted them both (a friend of BIL).

I was wondering about your opinions on this because I would like to rebuild them so I could use them for backups and what not and to gain some small engine experience.

Specifically, I am wondering about the feasibility and the price I should offer him on these. I went on Baileys and it looks like I can get the 372 rebuilt ok but they don't offer 029 parts - ebay or AS then?

I could use the 029 if you decide you dont need it I broke the case on mine a couple days ogo

LMAO... only PITA is the clamshell design... But it's totally doable.

Gary

So it's doable for a total newbie to engine rebuilding?

I am more of a maintenance/repair guy, never rebuilt an engine before. Tore down my old echo weedeater a couple years ago and that's it.

There is a thread on here somewhere where Tommy Hall (I believe) did a complete 029/290 rebuild. Step by step.... :)

Gary

Yea at least the 029 is in 1 piece, which I like. The 372 is in pieces in a box. Not sure how long it's been there either.

Not sure what to offer either, after all I am taking a risk on both of them. I would hate to buy them and then have to part them out.

Is the case split on the 372? If not... again, that should be doable as well.

Gary

No, but the cylinder is unbolted from the case, the piston is still attached to the cylinder - so it just flops around lose. And of course the recoil, flywheel? and the plastic are mostly off.

I do need to get a good look at the bottom end to see whether that is bad or not. I gotta post pics when I get the chance.

It will be pretty cool when it's done. Needs fuel line, impuls line, oil pickup line, and manifold. All the rubber parts were pretty rotten from the saw sitting apart in pieces for so many years.

Gary

Latest posts

Back