Blown up 029 and 372XPW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be pretty cool when it's done. Needs fuel line, impuls line, oil pickup line, and manifold. All the rubber parts were pretty rotten from the saw sitting apart in pieces for so many years.

Gary

That's the other thing I am afraid of. I don't know the condition of the rubber or if the saw was run with a dull chain. I know for a fact the saws saw multiple users :(

Parts are more readily avalable for the 2 saws you have than the little 028 I have. Especially since the 029/290 and 372 has been in production for so long.

Gary

That's the one good thing going for me. If it was some rare saw all it would do was sit idly on a shelf. These 2 I can at least put back to work :)

The clamshell 029 family along with the 025 family aren't that hard to work on honestly no matter what flows around AS. Yes they are a bit more time consuming the first couple times working on them vs changing the p&c vs a pro stihl...but not extremely difficult at all. The only suggestion I have is to buy the stihl ring compressor for that family of saws and it will make your life a lot easier. I've done it without their special compressor, but its a fairly slow and painful process.

Last edited:
If the 372 is a true xpw then its probably not too old... Both saws are about the same weight.... We all know which one would whomp the other.. If its an 029 not a 290 then its probably 10 yrs or so old.. Get the 372 and if you don't have any husky bars you can use an adapter for a stihl bar if you have a spare.

If the 372 is a true xpw then its probably not too old... Both saws are about the same weight.... We all know which one would whomp the other.. If its an 029 not a 290 then its probably 10 yrs or so old.. Get the 372 and if you don't have any husky bars you can use an adapter for a stihl bar if you have a spare.

It says XPW on the clutch cover I believe and it comes only with a full wrap bar. Both saws are PHO. The bar adapter...I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. I was thinking about just sticking a 16 inch bar on the 029 and either a 24/32 or 20/28 type setup for the 372.

The clamshell 029 family along with the 025 family aren't that hard to work on honestly no matter what flows around AS. Yes they are a bit more time consuming the first couple times working on them vs changing the p&c vs a pro stihl...but not extremely difficult at all. The only suggestion I have is to buy the stihl ring compressor for that family of saws and it will make your life a lot easier. I've done it without their special compressor, but its a fairly slow and painful process.

Yea the ring compressor was another thing floating around in the recesses of my brain.

Here's my big question though about the Husky...should I go OEM, Aftermarket, or Big Bore?

I guess i'd see if you could cleanup the cylinder on the 372..if you could I would just opt for a meteor. If you can't its all dependant on what you want to spend...maybe someone on AS has a good used OEM cylinder and you can fit it with a new meteor piston. If not, you may be fine with an aftermarket if you were working on a budget or move up to a big bore or OEM if your budget allows.

I guess i'd see if you could cleanup the cylinder on the 372..if you could I would just opt for a meteor. If you can't its all dependant on what you want to spend...maybe someone on AS has a good used OEM cylinder and you can fit it with a new meteor piston. If not, you may be fine with an aftermarket if you were working on a budget or move up to a big bore or OEM if your budget allows.

Yea it all depends on how much the BIL wants for the saws. He didn't really give me a price range so the budget will factor in the original purchase price. If I can get them cheap all the better but if he wants quite a bit for 'em I may just drop it and look more seriously at the mower he wants to sell.

Ok gotcha...thats understandable. In all honesty nice 029's sell for respectable money on ebay and other sources if you wanted to sell it. The 372 of course sells for good money also.

No matter what though comparible saw for comparible saw stihl always sells higher than husky, jonsered, or dolmar. Thats just what the market brings imo.

Ok gotcha...thats understandable. In all honesty nice 029's sell for respectable money on ebay and other sources if you wanted to sell it. The 372 of course sells for good money also.

No matter what though comparible saw for comparible saw stihl always sells higher than husky, jonsered, or dolmar. Thats just what the market brings imo.

Yup. The Stihl's always have the better resale. Great for sellers, bad for buyers.

I don't think they make an aftermarket piston for the xpw... Its 51.4mm most are 50mm or the BB are 52mm ... So keep that in mind even if the cylinder cleans up.

Yeah no aftermarket pistons for the xpw. If you don't want to mess with it send it to me.:cheers:

In my signature is a thread on how to rebuild that 029. I don't think they are that hard to work on but that's me. Not as easy as a ''pro" saw but not as hard a Pro Mac. Read the thread and hope it helps. If you get the 029 replace the fuel line. They are known to crack.

Another note on the 029. Get a good quality torques bit to pull the cylinder bolts. Cheep ones will snap off! They are tight!

Went to the dealer today and got some prices on parts...

Each saw would cost about $275+tax to fix. I told BIL it would be easier to part them out. We'll have to see what happens when we both find more time...

Went to the dealer today and got some prices on parts...

Each saw would cost about $275+tax to fix. I told BIL it would be easier to part them out. We'll have to see what happens when we both find more time...

Sounds a bit pricey if all they need is a few new hoses and P&C kits. Aftermarket is nowhere near that price.
As mentioned I'm not the 029's biggest fan but they are a pretty tough and reliable little saw (I've got one here to rebuild as we speak).
I'm actually thinking of putting a 390 top end on it and redrilling the carb. I read about that on here somewhere and you'll gain power and a few cc's :)

I would be willing to put that much into the 372. It's a $700 saw new so less than half of new and you've got a good saw going again.

Latest posts

Back