Blue Cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrus Monk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've mentioned this to logging friends in the past but they discount the idea. What do you guys think?

Here is the situation:

You are piece-working in dirty wood with the chainsaw requiring periodic touch ups. The skidder is coming with another drag so you have to file your semi-chisel cutters quickly. But when do you stop filing? Everyone answers, "I can always tell which cutter has been recently filed by the shine ... and the residual filings..."

Well my eyes aint so great! They are also nearly 60 years old. Besides, when rain is pouring over your spectacles it would be nice to have one cutter (or tie strap) painted a different colour than the others. Then you would have a very easy time knowing where you are at (so to speak).
I do this myself at home. Instead of filing a mark on the tie strap I spray a drop of blue paint on one tiestrap/cutter. I can always tell exactly how far to go before I am finished filing cutters or rakers. Of course some of my other chains have a natural break in sequence and I don't need the "paint trick".

I know that some lengths/ (styles of chain) present a double left or right cutter or a gap... but I think it would be cool to have a bright blue or green enamalled cutter when chain has no asymmetries to use as a start/finish point.

What do you guys say?
Thanks in Advance

Stihl has a yellow tie strap on non-safety chains and a green one on safety chain.

I just use a Sharpie and color one of the cutters on Oregon chain

I use a red sharpie on the top plate of a cutter.

Also... In your near 60 years, if you've avoided nerve damage in your hands... you should be able to feel (when filing) the difference between sharp cutters & cutters needing a touch up.

Look or feel for the burr, fresh round filed teeth will have a burr, not so fresh will not, unless you rocked the dog snot out of it, or just carry extra chains, quicker and more relaxing to sharpen them at home when your not in a rush, plus you'll do a better job.

Sharpies work well unless there is rain falling upon said chain, or snow, or oil or you dropped the sharpie somewhere. Then believe it or not, even sharpies fail to work. The yellow thingy that is permanent on the chain works in all weather types.

I just guess I too can not longer see what I have filed and not filed, I am sure file one tooth more than once, I kind of go by feel and how much pressure there is against the file than by sight. If I am pressed for time a few quick strokes are better than none

Red Sharpie, yes....and one can get a small key-chain sized version for pocket portability...

IF I were going to be regularly needin' to file on-site under various conditions, with time pressures, I think I just might consider making up loops with a single skip to use as a readily-evident index. Can't imagine that would reduce cutting performance, noticeably....?

Mini Sharpies like THESE (I'm fairly sure the ones I have are Sharpies, not by another maker....?? And, they aren't really fine-point.) About 3" long, if I recall correctly, possibly less. - Sharpie® Mini Fine Point Permanent Markers, Assorted, 72/Pack | Staples®

Also, the Birchwood Casey gun paint sticks might work....as the paint dries fairly quickly. Only in black, as far as I know, but a shiny black coat should make a line sufficiently visible, I would think: Birchwood Casey: Product Details

Back