Anyone notice variation in metal when filing cutters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clark10

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a couple of Husqvarna H82 loops from a local shop to get me by until I get a new roll in to my shop. First time I touched them up in the field with a round file I noticed that most cutters were normal metal and the file smoothly went through them, but about 5-7 of them were hard to sharpen. The file just skidded off the face of the cutter, somewhat like when a file gets clogged with metal filings. However, I would make sure the file was clear and try again with the same challenges. The file would do just fine on another cutter. I would describe it as if the metal of the cutter has chunks of different hardness.

Just thought I would ask to see if this was unique or if this is an issue in other areas.

Thanks

P.S. Just read that someone noticed a similar issue with Oregon chain. Hmmm

I just picked up a couple of Husqvarna H82 loops from a local shop to get me by until I get a new roll in to my shop. First time I touched them up in the field with a round file I noticed that most cutters were normal metal and the file smoothly went through them, but about 5-7 of them were hard to sharpen. The file just skidded off the face of the cutter, somewhat like when a file gets clogged with metal filings. However, I would make sure the file was clear and try again with the same challenges. The file would do just fine on another cutter. I would describe it as if the metal of the cutter has chunks of different hardness.

Just thought I would ask to see if this was unique or if this is an issue in other areas.

Thanks

P.S. Just read that someone noticed a similar issue with Oregon chain. Hmmm
ground too hot, whether factory or resharpened, its fairly easy to turn the tooth red hot, and they are small enough mass to air quench and harden
My local saw shop will refuse to sharpen any chains that another shop has touched, because they run carborundum wheels, and it will ruin it without first going at them with a file, will ruin a file in a hurry too
As for factory sharpened chains, theres a reason I don't use Oregon junk.

That’s why I use Stihl chain. I like that Oregon stuff is made in the States, and I like the price better, but Stihl makes a better chain, and bars.

I’ve also had some experience with Oregon/Husqvarna chain. Grinding the initial profile probably got it too hot, then the air sucked the heat from it, quenching it and getting it hard. Nobody checks for that, and unless the steel is annealed those cutters will be hard enough for a saw file to skate right off.

Maybe the plating on the cutters is not consistent.

Have a look at them with a magnifying glass.

Not sure how to use a rockwell tester properly, or if you could test the filed cutter surfaces properly.
Or Better= shoot ggood pics w/ cell and enlarge?

Back