Blue Spruce and Norway Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affordabletree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did three separate quotes today and they were all on spruces seven blue and eleven norway total. They all have issues with excess deadwood. To me it looks like they all are dying from the inside out. all the limbs have very few needles near the tips and no needles at the center of the limb. I have told the home owners that I am unsure of the disease or issue with the trees and will find out for them. So if anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

Adam

Cyt
I did three separate quotes today and they were all on spruces seven blue and eleven norway total. They all have issues with excess deadwood. To me it looks like they all are dying from the inside out. all the limbs have very few needles near the tips and no needles at the center of the limb. I have told the home owners that I am unsure of the disease or issue with the trees and will find out for them. So if anyone has any info it would be appreciated.

Adam
Cytospora canker, maybe?

It is not unusual for a spruce to loose its interior needles as it matures. If you suspect a disease, take a sample and send it to your local extension agency. If it is fungal, they will be able to culture it out and tell you specifically what it is and how to treat.

It is likely either spruce needlecast or spruce aphid. You will have to do some more investigation to determine which it is. If it is aphids, you are too late to treat it this year as (at least in our area) spruce aphids need to be treated in February.

Spruce needlecast needs to be sprayed with fungicides. You will have to check your local regulations to determine which fungicides are allowed to be used in your area.

Both these conditions are treatable and the tree will recover. However, treatment may take a couple of years for the trees to totally recover.

Latest posts

Back