Blue Spruce Root Problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penda7777

Reaction score
My neighbor has a 50' Colorado Blue Spruce they planted 3' from their house and 10' from ours (our attached garage). The only water it receives is from seasonal snow and rain at the edge of its canopy circumference 3/4 of that "edge is on my property. Many large, 8" diameter roots extend toward and within 5' of our garage's center and its foundation before disappearing under the dirt.

Our garage slab has continued to lift up over the past 8 years and we are now noticing cracks appearing on the side near the spruce. Additionally, our entire driveway is full of cracks and lifting sections. Is it possible that this spruce's roots are seeking moisture under our slabs and causing them to lift and crack? There are no other trees or shrubs planted within 40' of our slabs and our house has a full gutter system.

I don't want to replace and repair the concrete if we will only end up replacing it again in a few years due to the tree's roots. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

It is not only possible but likely that tree roots will cause damage to nearby concrete. Take a short trip in a shaded area of an old part of town and look at the sidewalks for what can and does happen with roots.

Excavate the area where you think the roots are by the cracks. Find out for sure if in fact the roots are the issue. If so, get your neighbor over for a look see. Find out how he feels about his tree. Be prepared to hire an Arborist to mitigate the situation.

Hard to advise without pics.

Like branches, roots can be pruned. Dig and rinse off and cut. Best done by experienced personnel.

Latest posts

Back