Blunders and freaky stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were dropping a dead cherry tree. The yard was wide open and the tree was fairly straight. I set a line and had a guy tension it. I made the notch and started the back cut. With about 2 " of hinge remaining the trunk split below the notch. The whole tree fell forwards and tilted on the trunk 90° from the cut. If it was a technical fall, i woulda smashed something

Last month i was chipping and a golfball sized nugget backfired and hit me right in the nipple! I expected to lift my shirt and see a missing nipple. Fortunately it was still there. A little bloody, but there. [emoji28]

Same thing happened to a friend of mine, only it knocked out his two top front teeth. Quite the bummer!

So my company is still small. We run a dump trailer. I was cutting the load down on a horse chestnut removal. Tipped my bar down and caught a chestnut with the bottom of my bar. I've gotta admit a chestnut to the chin really hurts!

I watched a groundie drop/throw a decent sized log on the bottom of a dolly causing the handle to bounce straight into his forehead. He laid himself out cold. I still laugh thinking about it. Straight out of Tom and Jerry.
I'm a little embarrassed to admit I have done exactly the same thing

My buddy was trimming a 90' mexican fan palm. He spiked up from the bottom and trimmed on the way up with just a lanyard. He brought a FS up and and one end of his 200' climb line hooked to his saddle.
Done trimming and goes to set his FS and line and somehow he dropped his rope.
Coming down on spikes suck's.
Jeff

Removing a small dead poplar in a park for a Homeowners association no climbing just drop it and clean up. Made my cut and take a few steps back to watch it fall. It hits the ground with a hard thud and out comes this Squirrel haling ass rite at me so fast i had to drop the saw run out of his was or get ran over. Never seen a squirrel move so fast before.

I knocked over a trunk onto a pile of long sticks , one flew out of the pile and cartwheeled all the way across the yard and was literally smashed right through the fence , and the neighbors mutt tried to eat us because he now traval from yard to yard . Quite hilarious actually

I was working on removing a hollow maple tree, just minding my own business when I was cutting away about thirty or so feet up in my bucket when this blurt of a squirrel flys right at my face barley missing it. It went right over my right shoulder. It startled the hell out of me. I almost had to go home and change my shorts. I'm not scared of squirrels but I wasn't expecting that close of an encounter.

I was doing a massive silver maple last year. It arched out over the house on one side and the neighborhood playground on the other. I lowered everything down on the playground side. Was chunking down the stem by making snap cuts and pitching it. I was probably 4 feet in the safe direction so i climbed down to drop a 6 ft section on to a log pile. It flipped once in flight, hit just right, bounced 8' in the air and smashed the playground fence.

Hmmm....the time a limb kicked around in the feed shoot and knocked my balls into my throat.....or.....the time i was in an awkward position with my leg spread and tried starting the saw between my leg and the starter rope broke and i punched my balls....that happened one other time and punched myself in the face...there are lots more i forgot about.

Classic!

Last year I started up the firewood processor, go to make the first cut and red is shooting out of the log. It's coming off the bar, dripping everywhere. Seems like it was several quarts :eek:o_O.

The log was hollow at the other end so I'm thinking that maybe a cat or porcupine got in there.

Well... someones kid decided to play "logger" with the processor while no one was around (it's setup on a farm... lots of people come and go) and had screwed the bar oiler adjuster all the way in.
Blockbuster used ATF to fill it when I bought it. Looked like blood!

:laugh:

We took out a dead white oak a few years back. About 80 foot tall. Top was getting too punky to climb farther so we set a pull line and crashed the top.

Probably a 16 inch cut. Me and other groundy pulling, standing about 4 feet apart on the rope. Notch, back cut, goes right over, perfect spot.

Of course it shatters into million pieces when it finally hits. Chunk of oak about 3 feet long and 12 inch diameter comes flying past our heads between the two of us. Coundn't have been standing more than 4, 5 feet apart........just missed both of us. Too fast to even move out of the way.

We both had hard hats on but I don't think it would have done much good.

I took a top out of a dead ash. I dropped it 45° from the house. It barely, and i mean barely, brushed another tree coming down. It slowed it enough that the butt beat it down and it exploded on impact. Several pieces shot towards the house putting holes in the siding and smashing a bird bath. The home owner was awesome about it. He had extra siding which we swapped out and that was it.

I was out stacking firewood last winter and working hard on a thirty pack when I needed to set more posts to stack against. Misjudged the post height, caught the top of it with the driver and drove myself to the ground. Had a lump the size of a baseball on top of my head for a day. The guy who was helping me laughed his ass off but did about the same thing the next week

I was out keeping an eye on a new hire climber last fall, just to make sure he could handle himself. Worked all day on a decent sized removal in the corner of a vinyl picket fence. All went great. Nothing came close to hurting it. Groundies did a great job at not beating on it dragging beside it. Climber gets down, packs up his gear, I'm telling him that he did great as we're walking up the hill, and he slips and falls right through the fence. Was laughing while trying to explain to the boss why he was buying a new fence panel

I was out stacking firewood last winter and working hard on a thirty pack when I needed to set more posts to stack against. Misjudged the post height, caught the top of it with the driver and drove myself to the ground. Had a lump the size of a baseball on top of my head for a day. The guy who was helping me laughed his ass off but did about the same thing the next week

I forgot about that ......... should have had your hard hat on

Yep. Seen the top side of the dolly bop more than one on the noggin,self included. Usually happens when flopping PCs onto the lip.

Not so much with the big ball cart type we have now,bit the older, smaller ones ,quite a few times.

Latest posts

Back