Blunt Force Trauma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Well guys, I got hit square in the face yesterday and managed to make it to a neighbours before I bled to death and I wasn't fooling around.
I was dropping a double stem pine that joined 4 ft. above an 18" stump. The first stem fell ok, but because I was cutting over my head I was sloppy about the undercut and got the second stem hung up. No biggy, I just cut it 6 ft. above the stump and next thing you know, I was pounded straight in the face out of nowhere. Blood was filling my eyes and it was all I could do to make it out of the bush. Then a 150 mile drive to emergency.
It's a wonder I didn't lose my eye.
I'll go back out to the accident scene and take pictures. This is the most serious accident I've had in my 29 year career. This happened yesterday at 1:30 pm. I can hardly see what I'm typing.
John

Ouch John! I'm sorry to see and hear about all that. It's a good thing you weren't hurt any worse.

Thanks Jacob, I was lucky, it drove my safety glasses thru my upper and lower eye lid. The forensic crew found the spiked club that hit me.
Can't figure out how I missed it!
John

Ouch !

Geeezzzz John,That's a hell of a bad whack you got there,I mean that looks real nasty.I'm pretty sure there have been fellas that died from felling a tree that didn't look that bad.Sincerely though, I hope all goes well for you recovering from this accident.
Take Care
Lawrence

Holy WOW!

I'm really glad you weren't injured worse..or knocked out to bleed out or freeze.

Something tells me that its going to get worse before it gets better. Take proper care of yourself.

:sucks:

Aww man thats a hard hit to the face so very lucky. I'd say your pretty blue eyed male modeling career is kaput for a few weeks till ya heal up, we know chicks dig scars but thats not the way.

I been cuttin perhaps not as hard as you but for about as long and I reckon the odds just catch you up no matter how careful you be.

By your description of the hit you still got some luck left so save some for a later day or pass it foward by telling others about it here.

OOOWWWW!!!

Crap! that looks a lot better than it must feel, and it looks awfull damn painful.

Darn glad it bounced off that fancy helmet of yours, and didn't end the Video series.;)

Heal fast man, and keep on the docs about the peepers.
Make sure to make the drive for the follow ups 'cause things sometimes heal goofy.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks fellas for the heart felt posts. I can't understand why one tooth was shattered length ways when it wasn't even hit. My neck is sore the most. I was wearing chaps and not a hardhat. Even though it's hard for me to say, things may have been different if I had.
There was freakin blood everywhere, and it was 5 hrs. before I got any morphine. The 150 ambulance mile trip was a killer over a bumpy gravel rd.
My scull was showing thru, but the wiplash was what really hurt.
John

Last edited:
Holy WOW!

I'm really glad you weren't injured worse..or knocked out to bleed out or freeze.

Something tells me that its going to get worse before it gets better. Take proper care of yourself.

:sucks:
Ya Larry, I was lucky I wasn't knocked out, otherwise I would have bled out and the wolves would have left no evidence. Lol
I only have three neighbours, thank God one of them was home. The adreniline only lasts for about an hour, then the pain sets in.
It's been 15 years since I was hurt last in the woods this is my 9th time, so I don't have too many more chances. Lol
John

Blunt force trauma, my old friend.

"I got knocked in the head once and promptly forgot about it, then I found a blood trail, I followed it to where it started, but it was an endless circle, it went everywhere I did, very puzzling."

9 John? You have four left, it takes 13 to kill ya off, I'm on 11.

Damn, I'll bet that smarts, be even better later ;)

What if anything, did you say?

Head, neck, teeth and eyes, what a combination. Tree? What tree, I waz inna bar fight.

Dammit John! Heal up mang... ...and start using those bore cuts on EVERY tree. :)

Gary

Have you been drinking again Gary !?!?
He would for sure lost his whole head if he did something as stupid as borecut a tree :dizzy:

Heal up John and take care !!!

Glad your alive,I feel you were VERY close to not being.

Its our knowledge that makes us do these things,Take your time make sure you get good chiropractic.

That suck I am glad you are alive to tell the tail. I wish you a speedy recovery! I think you should ask the hot nurse for a sponge bath, can't get those stitches wet you know.

Latest posts

Back