Boggy 310 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ran a couple of Stihls for a short time today..A 064, 028 Super, 028AV, and 310. That 064 is a really nice medium to Big saw! Those 028's could grow on me over time..the 28AV a little light on power and the 028 Super a fun little saw. The 310 felt really lean. Really boggy throttle response. Is this something that is typical or can this be tuned out of a stock 310. A bit of a dissapointment after running the older 028's. At this point a clean used 028 would be more attractive than a new 310...but that might be because of an ill tuned 310.

(Still looking for a carry saw....thats where this will end up I hope)

You too?!
I guess since this is the unofficial Stihl forum I guess that is natural...........
mac2.jpg

I had a 310, and never thought of it as slow to accelerate or act sluggish. That was until I read your message, and thought about how it compares to my 361 or my 460, which seem to be much faster to accerlerate now that I think about it. It may also be due to the fact that I use my saws now more aggressively than I did the 310, and I was almost afraid to run it WOT, simply for not knowing better. I think the 310 would accelerate as well as any other saw if tuned properly, and all the seals etc are sound. The 310 takes the 028 on hp, but not by much. I think you'd have a lot of guys on here recommend the 028 over the 310 without batting an eye. The 290/310/390 are good saws when used in the role and capacity they're deisigned for.

Take care all,
Jeff

Make sure it is broken in, makes a big difference.
May require a carb adjust, internally and externally.
Port the muffler, BIG difference. OOOPs, I did not say that. :cool:

stihltech said:
Make sure it is broken in, makes a big difference.
May require a carb adjust, internally and externally.
Port the muffler, BIG difference. OOOPs, I did not say that. :cool:

Yes: break in seems to be the thing. I had the same problem, had to do some carb adjust. Now that it is run in (about 10 cord worth) I find the carb settings are back to around the original factory settings. Probably subjective but IMO it doesn't cut as fast as the Johnyred 625 it replaced.

Harry K

Back