bonfire tonight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
had a friday night bonfire with friends and family... beers booze music laughter ........... my 15 year old son threw a large log on the fire ...... a 16 inch round of white oak( where the hell did that come from I thought).....in the bonfire I usually burn cherry , poplar, 2x4s,pine even maple ..... NOT OAK !!!!!! it was a buzz kill for me ,all I did for the rest of the night was sip Gin and stare at that piece of friggin oak and think thats a days heat in February. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME ?? I have plenty of oak , one piece isnt gonna kill me .BUT it was a sweet piece of white oak

MD

Hold my beer and watch this!

:cheers:

Reminds me of a story , years ago.

Huge bonfire - kegger, maybe like 10 cords of wood in the fire, whole trees.

The fire burned away from one log and the guy that had the best sound system figures he could push it in to the fire with his bumper.

Tunes blaring he lines up with an angle that he figured would work. But the bumper hooks over the log, stuck spinning when he throws it in reverse.

Where the hell he gets the idea that he can go forward and jump the fire (watching shows of people walking on hot coals? ) I have no clue?

He guns it, and as you could guess, high-centers it with the truck filling up with smoke.

Like a squirrel he jumps up on the cap and starts yelling for a chain.

Didn't take much time at all and the tunes faded, he jumps from the cap to the bed of the truck and out at about the same time the gas-tank went!

There was not much left of that truck, nice sound system and all, gone. But the log did catch!

Last edited:
:cheers:

Reminds me of a story , years ago.

Huge bonfire - kegger, maybe like 10 cords of wood in the fire, whole trees.

The fire burned away from one log and the guy that had the best sound system figures he could push it in to the fire with his bumper.

Tunes blaring he lines up with an angle that he figured would work. But the bumper hooks over the log, stuck spinning when he throws it in reverse.

Where the hell he gets the idea that he can go forward and jump the fire (watching shows of people walking on hot coals? ) I have no clue?

He guns it, and as you could guess, high-centers it with the truck filling up with smoke.

Like a squirrel he jumps up on the cap and starts yelling for a chain.

Didn't take much time at all and the tunes faded, he jumps from the cap to the bed of the truck and out at about the same time the gas-tank went!

There was not much left of that truck, nice sound system and all, gone. But the log did catch!

WOW suddenly I dont feel so bad about the bigass piece of oak
MD

Me, my wife and a buddy went trotlining down in Texas - plan to stay out all night running the line and then have a fish fry the next day. Come on evening and we take his PU scouting for driftwood - made a big load - all we could load without it falling off. Back to camp, dump and start a fire, have supper and begin running the line. 2nd run after dark we are out at the end of the line in the lake and see a huge fire going back in camp. Got back and wife says "it was dark". She burned the entire load.

Harry K

had a friday night bonfire with friends and family... beers booze music laughter ........... my 15 year old son threw a large log on the fire ...... a 16 inch round of white oak( where the hell did that come from I thought).....in the bonfire I usually burn cherry , poplar, 2x4s,pine even maple ..... NOT OAK !!!!!! it was a buzz kill for me ,all I did for the rest of the night was sip Gin and stare at that piece of friggin oak and think thats a days heat in February. WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME ?? I have plenty of oak , one piece isnt gonna kill me .BUT it was a sweet piece of white oak

MD

LOL that's funny I would have felt the same way, when I am stacking the wood I some times come across "special" pieces of wood and think "man that will put out some BTUs". Come burning season I still remember that piece and can pick it out of the pile, goofy or what?

Last night we had a campfire with the only wood I have on hand. (Locust)
As much as I love locust for my OWB it stinks as a campfire wood.
Very hard to get lit and very little flame.
The stuff would probably make a great cooking fire though.

My 15 year old son had a bonfire last night , about 15 boys and girl. Six $5 pizzas, a few bags of chips and a cooler full of pop and they were happening. Burned mostly pallets A 16year old buddy had his truck back there for tunes. They got rained out about 11PM and ended up in the garage watching transformer and mallcop DVD's on the projector using the back of the garage door as a screen. Parents started showing up between 12 and 1AM to collect their daughters. I'm pretty sure a good time was had by all. While surveying, the damage this morning found a soggy cellphone, and $25 that somebody dropped out there, phone still works. We got 5 boys over sleeping in Dillon's room, I'll let them sleep another hour, get them up , feed them, and throw them out, so we can get to work.

cleanup does look bad at all, good job Dillon

You guys are nuts... Too dang hot to be standing around a fire. Now if it was 50 deg out, a fire would feel nice, but it was 94 here yesterday. The last thing I want to do is stand around a fire. I'd feel like a chicken on a spit. :)

Ian

You guys are nuts... Too dang hot to be standing around a fire. Now if it was 50 deg out, a fire would feel nice, but it was 94 here yesterday. The last thing I want to do is stand around a fire. I'd feel like a chicken on a spit. :)

Ian

+1. I'm only thinking of how hot it's gonna be when I get back to cutting firewood for the 'winter'.

Kevin

i try to do one every satuay night, which comes out to once or twice a month lol. id prolly do one tonight but its been raining and raining here. everythings still wet. i dont think im even gonna waste my time trying.....maybe next weeekend.

Ian

we have a fire everyother weekend . the temp was around 55 last night . throw in a little wet wood to smoke away the bugs .
MD

Ian

I agree completely, fall/winter are the seasons for bonfires, but my kids see it differently. I throw at least one every fall. We get the smokers going, tons of food and drink an all night affair. Also in the winter when we are bouncing around on the snowmobiles we'll lite one off in the evening.

We have a neighborhood bonfire every Halloween. Temperatures are usually in the 40's but sometimes it's downright cold/snowy. Any how last year the guy who usually lights the fire was busy doing something else and a neighbor decides to light the 20x20 and about 10 foot tall pile of brush/logs. He pours gasoline all over the pile waits 2-3 minutes then throws a match....Voof he's engulfed in flames. His eyebrows, eyelashes and hair were singed badly, and he looked sunburnt for days. He was really lucky! It's funny now, but we were worried for the guy.

Please be careful lighting those bonfires, they can bite!

We have a neighborhood bonfire every Halloween. Temperatures are usually in the 40's but sometimes it's downright cold/snowy. Any how last year the guy who usually lights the fire was busy doing something else and a neighbor decides to light the 20x20 and about 10 foot tall pile of brush/logs. He pours gasoline all over the pile waits 2-3 minutes then throws a match....Voof he's engulfed in flames. His eyebrows, eyelashes and hair were singed badly, and he looked sunburnt for days. He was really lucky! It's funny now, but we were worried for the guy.

Please be careful lighting those bonfires, they can bite!

AMEN to that !!! He was lucky ,sure enough . :agree2: And remeber to use diesel or kerosene so it doesn't flash.

Living in town , I'm at a disadvantage as to how big of a fire I get to make. We are forced to settle for what we can fit in a fire ring. Invariable the PD and FD respond to somebodies call. They all get offered something from the cook fire, burgers hot dogs or brats, upon their arrival. You know for the trouble they went to getting here.

A "big fire" takes on different meaning when in town, so we have to keep it scaled back.

MD

Looks like a good time to me!:givebeer:

LOL that's funny I would have felt the same way, when I am stacking the wood I some times come across "special" pieces of wood and think "man that will put out some BTUs". Come burning season I still remember that piece and can pick it out of the pile, goofy or what?

Me too, sometimes. Up here, we don't have hickory nor too much white oak. But a hunk of apple or white oak gets stacked in a sep area of the barn.

I was the same way when I dug antique bottles long ago from old midden sites and trash dumps 100+ years old. Even years later as I look at my collection, I remember specifically where I was when I unearthed an old bitters or cure-all bottle - the feeling of excitement, the jealousy of my brother digging next to me for my find, the fun of cleaning a century's worth of grime in a 5 gal. bucket back home.

I choose not to dazzle my wife with my mnemonic prowess, however. One time, I tossed in a stick of wood into the firebox and said, "Got this hunk of sugar maple while cutting in the woods of the old Paige farm. Back in March. I remember my chain was on the dull side and that it was hell getting those rounds on the back of the truck. But I am the Walrus was on the radio, so I took a quick break. Then I saw a lone doe in the distance..."Yada-yada, additional detail.

To which her response was, "You can remember all that, but you can't remember to remove your hair from the shower drain when you're done."

They say women are from venus and men are from mars. :laugh: :greenchainsaw:

your wife must talk to mine! :dizzy:

My stock answer tends to be we just have diffrent eyes, cause we damn sure don't see things the same way!

Me too, sometimes. Up here, we don't have hickory nor too much white oak. But a hunk of apple or white oak gets stacked in a sep area of the barn.

I was the same way when I dug antique bottles long ago from old midden sites and trash dumps 100+ years old. Even years later as I look at my collection, I remember specifically where I was when I unearthed an old bitters or cure-all bottle - the feeling of excitement, the jealousy of my brother digging next to me for my find, the fun of cleaning a century's worth of grime in a 5 gal. bucket back home.

I choose not to dazzle my wife with my mnemonic prowess, however. One time, I tossed in a stick of wood into the firebox and said, "Got this hunk of sugar maple while cutting in the woods of the old Paige farm. Back in March. I remember my chain was on the dull side and that it was hell getting those rounds on the back of the truck. But I am the Walrus was on the radio, so I took a quick break. Then I saw a lone doe in the distance..."Yada-yada, additional detail.

To which her response was, "You can remember all that, but you can't remember to remove your hair from the shower drain when you're done."

They say women are from venus and men are from mars. :laugh: :greenchainsaw:

Back