Bitten 3 times, in 3 weeks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bald face are a real pain, keep your eyes peeled we had a large nest at work and each time we thought we got them all another larger nest would show up a week or two after, the last being built in an upside down 5 gallon pale that was being used as the hat of a scare crow, it filled the better half of the pale.

I absolutely hear you on this. I was clearing out more stacking area behind my already finished rows and that involved weed whacking and mowing to level out the grass. I was proud of my work being I only put a couple hours into it. So I'm walking around the perimeter and found a wasp nest in some low lying tree branches about eye level. Better take care of this, I thought, so I blasted the nest during daylight hours, sending the stream of black flag through the opening and everything. I'm guessing I didn't get them all as this new nest I found in the wood row wasn't there when I zapped the old nest.

I found a spray at Ace Hardware a couple years ago that foams up almost like foam sealer. I hit a couple yellow jacket nests in the ground, under my wood shed, just out of reach. They started out and that stuff foamed up and they couldn't get through it. I keep a couple cans around now, Joe.

Damn yellow jackets/hornets! I got stung a couple times on the bicep yesterday when I went to hook up a trailer that had been sitting out in a hayfield for the last 3 weeks. Didn't even see it coming, just sharp, stinging pain all of a sudden. My instinct is always to run immediately, which I did. Only when I got about 50 ft away did I realize that I'd already dropped the hitch down on the ball but hadn't gotten the jack anywhere near where it needed to be for me to pull away with the trailer. Got stung right when I started raising the jack…

I saw a gray nest about the size of a softball built under the frame of the front corner of the trailer. Couldn't get over there to unhook and pull away or to raise jack and bring trailer with me. Luckily I had a co-worker within range enough to get his attention and run down to the store and get some spray. 1 hr + later, I was finally back in action and able to move my truck and the trailer. This was a good lesson to keep a can or 2 of spray in the truck. You never know what you'll run into. First time I've been stung in a while.

Pains in my arse is what they are. I don't care if they do eat flies. They don't even seem to be doing that good of a job this year even with that. Tons of flies around this time of year...

Friggin hornets and wasps are killing me this year. Is anyone else having a problem with them too? I was out stacking another row of oak today and wanted to see how some of my previous rows were seasoning up, so I went to the first row I built and was randomly checking splits. I must've stirred them up when I plopped the split back down, because when I did, I heard the sound of wings trying to get out of a tight space. I look up and there are about 5 or 6 hovering near the nest a couple feet away from me. Before I even had time to think "oh s--t", I got hit with a bite on my leg. So I go running like a lunatic away from there slapping myself trying to make sure there were no more on me. I waited until it was night and went back out there with a can of black flag and a flashlight and hosed the nest. I'm so paranoid now I'm almost thinking about keeping a can of that stuff nearby every time I go near my old rows. That thing bit me at around 7 at night, and here it is past 3:30 in the morning and it still smarts. The hornets were those ones that looked like they're either a dark navy blue, or black color, with white on their ass.
Just over a year ago a friend and I walked in to my camp, about 10 miles from my home.Back about a half mile from the road and about a third of amile from where I parked my truck.We weren't there more than 2 minutes when he got stung on the neck.We left right away ,back to the truck.He just made it before passing out.I rushed him to the hospital 13 miles away.In violation all the way.Doc gave him a couple of shots with almost no affect,he was on O2 as well.After 40 minutes or so he began to show some improvement.He stayed in the hospital over night.The next day a nurse told him "we nearly lost you".I carry an eppi pen now!I've been stung quite a few times but with no ill effects other than the "sting".Yellow Jackets on the other hand,I feel a burning sensation for 24 hours .

Just over a year ago a friend and I walked in to my camp, about 10 miles from my home.Back about a half mile from the road and about a third of amile from where I parked my truck.We weren't there more than 2 minutes when he got stung on the neck.We left right away ,back to the truck.He just made it before passing out.I rushed him to the hospital 13 miles away.In violation all the way.Doc gave him a couple of shots with almost no affect,he was on O2 as well.After 40 minutes or so he began to show some improvement.He stayed in the hospital over night.The next day a nurse told him "we nearly lost you".I carry an eppi pen now!I've been stung quite a few times but with no ill effects other than the "sting".Yellow Jackets on the other hand,I feel a burning sensation for 24 hours .
Scary event there for you. Damn them things anyway!

its not a bee but I just found this guy in my garden. Glad it didn't bite me.

Attachments

• 59652_653037834774381_4753720562861176293_n.jpg
    59652_653037834774381_4753720562861176293_n.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 20
We put moth balls in panty hose and hang around the barn / wood shed. Seems wasps do not like the smell...and neither do I!! Smells like my old aunts house....

But seems to work for us.

I have a small bathtub out front of my house that someone buried as a pond. I don't use, but it fill with rain water or when I water the yard and then the wasps will be so thick around it they make a small cloud.

I watched from a distance and it was only wasps, no honey bees at all. So, I dumped in some insecticide, and in less than a week I don't have a single wasp anywhere around the house or shop. It sure is nice. Drained the pond and refilled with clean water.

Mr. HE:cool:

I've been stung by yellow jackets 4 times this week….Was just out mowing the yard (desperately needs to be done) and apparently ran over a nest in the ground and stirred em all up. Got me on the leg.

Then I switched gears while waiting for them to chill out and thought I'd go into the garage and organize some things. Was standing near the garage door and felt that familiar sting on the back of my neck….D!#@ nest in the corner of the garage door that just popped up.

Took that as a sign and now I'm inside for a little while ;)

I swear this summer has been the worst year in recent memory for hornets/jackets and ticks. Ain't no fun to deal with.

Nothing worse than lifting or pulling a log and hearing B-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ It's like omg RUNNNNNNN and SCREEEEEAM like a little girl.
Oooops! I ment holler like a manly man. Yup, men are not ascaird of no stinking bees.

I wouldn't say I'm scared of them, but I hate them with a passion.

Getting stung puts me into a smolder that won't die till I've eradicated ten or twelve nests.:D

Mr. HE:cool:

Chewing tobacco is good to relieve the pain of a sting! Something to think about for the guys who chew or carry a can in the truck.

I was barbecuing at my in-laws one early evening pushing the kids on the tree swing. Lifted the swing....got zapped a few times. They were the wasps with the white heads. No big deal. A while later my brother in-law says, "You 're starting to sound funny." I say jokingly, "It must be the beer." A little while later started swelling up and had a ride to the emergency room. My wife didnt even have my insurance card out and they were already wheeling me in. Used to get stung all the time but this was different for some reason. I have an epipen now but am horrible about carrying where i go. I think some of you heard this story before.

Chewing tobacco is good to relieve the pain of a sting! Something to think about for the guys who chew or carry a can in the truck.

A long, long time ago I tried chewing tobacco. I got real sick and felt like somebody had put me inside a front load clothes dryer and I was going round and round. I think I'd rather have the pain of a sting than that. I've heard that putting milk on stings will help a lot........

A long, long time ago I tried chewing tobacco. I got real sick and felt like somebody had put me inside a front load clothes dryer and I was going round and round. I think I'd rather have the pain of a sting than that. I've heard that putting milk on stings will help a lot........
I hear meat tenderizor too.

Nothing worse than lifting or pulling a log and hearing B-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ It's like omg RUNNNNNNN and SCREEEEEAM like a little girl.

Actually, there is something a lot worse than that. It's being up on a ladder or a scaffold, and you remove a board and out they come. You can scream, but you can't run.....

Latest posts

Back