Boom cylinder issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
From time to time i feel a little bump in my boom. I do have some dripping from the lower boom cylinder from time to time. I assume thats what it is. I heard a louder clunk, for lack of a better word, the other day when changing directions on the lower boom. I lifted the lower boom 5' last night at midnight and shut the truck off. It came to rest around noon today. Roughly 12 hours. My question is, could the cylinder clunk? And is the seals that drip the same as what holds it when the truck is off? A local shop rebuilds cylinders so i'm going to have it done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

A clunk could also be the leveling cables. they could have several pulleys with bearings that could go bad. I heard a clunk in mine once, took the cover off the knuckle and found a screw driver... that's all it was

I can hear it in the lower cylinder area when i go from up to down on the control.

I'm going to. I dont want to miss anything. Thats more what i was getting at. If a cylinder cant clunk, i'd have to keep looking ya know.

Could be a worn pin/bearing or something of that nature...what type of lift we talking?

Its a hi ranger linesman 2

Sorry not familiar with that type...btw the oil that leaks out around the rod is not held in by the same part the keeps the cylinder from leaking down.

Ok. Thats good info. So there could be a real issue inside. The slight leakage didnt bother me too much but if it doesnt hold or could fail with some speed, it needs parked until i get it fixed.

If there is a leak in the system, should the cylinders hold when the truck is off?

Back