Boom Lift for some minor tree work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you can drop them and trim them all by yourself?? but want us to believe it`ll cost you 10k to have it done by pro`s:dizzy:

I dont buy this for a minute!! if you can do it cheaper???? and all you have to hit is "dirt"...... find similar jobs and start a tree service! LOL

guys like you :censored: crack me up!

LXT............

so you can drop them and trim them all by yourself?? but want us to believe it`ll cost you 10k to have it done by pro`s:dizzy:

I dont buy this for a minute!! if you can do it cheaper???? and all you have to hit is "dirt"...... find similar jobs and start a tree service! LOL

guys like you :censored: crack me up!

LXT............

You must be illiterate. Go bother someone else with you useless comments.

Who's talking about starting a tree service? Not me.

Since their is nothing between the tree and the ground id say the branches are going to hit the ground... "dirt".

I'm not selling anything either so you not buying anything makes seance.

Yes i can do it cheaper! Idk how you think a pro would be cheaper.

Idk why I'm wasting my time responding to yo since you cant read...

Guys like me.... funny how people get big and bad on the internet!

Iv ran boom lifts before and iv run a chainsaw before. Iv even cut limbs from a bucket truck before. I'm not a Pro since i don't do it everyday but i use my head and have an understanding to how it works.

Last edited:
Good luck with your plan.

If you have the chance to run a T-handle saw you will see the advantages of one for limbing especially at heights. They are safer to cut with one hand while leading the limbs with the other hand to the landing zone. Fishing out hanger sucks and time consuming. Most guys run T-handles hard before requesting a bigger rear handle (two hand) saw on larger pieces.

The lift you are thinking of renting, can you give more details. Might be a PITA to position for each branch, cut, etc. with out damaging other branches. Since you want to make pruning cuts at a safe level, so the tree will heal proper. Don't want to cause damage where the remaining branch will eventually die, or you will be back trimming sooner than anticipated.

As I said before good luck and be safe.

Good luck with your plan.

If you have the chance to run a T-handle saw you will see the advantages of one for limbing especially at heights. They are safer to cut with one hand while leading the limbs with the other hand to the landing zone. Fishing out hanger sucks and time consuming. Most guys run T-handles hard before requesting a bigger rear handle (two hand) saw on larger pieces.

The lift you are thinking of renting, can you give more details. Might be a PITA to position for each branch, cut, etc. with out damaging other branches. Since you want to make pruning cuts at a safe level, so the tree will heal proper. Don't want to cause damage where the remaining branch will eventually die, or you will be back trimming sooner than anticipated.

As I said before good luck and be safe.

Thanks,
Iv ran top handle before, definitely nice while up in the air and they are lighter. Ill probably borrow one.

Not sure on the lift yet. It's not to dense where I'm going to be cutting so I'm not to worried about getting into trouble with the lift. My uncle has one i might use, not sure how high it gets tho.

I'm not planing on drooping them, i could do that. They are nice oak's just need to take off some branches.

oh ok...i gotcha. i would say u can prolly handle that w/o being real experienced. just watch ones that may be over house or other structures, fences, etc. judgment can be really tricky 40-50ft in the air and seems like those branches are always longer than they appear when ur looking at them...LOL i have gotten pretty decent @ judging those types of things but i do run a saw & cut trees EVERY day, all day from the air. just be careful and if u think it could prolly damage something, i can tell ya it more than likely will. branches, especially green hardwood branches dont gotta be too long to have some serious weight to them!

on the top handle saw. man, i love mine and would be lost w/o it! i use a Stihl 192T and love it. would like to have a 200T but for now i am sticking with my 192. if u use a top handle saw, make sure it is one with that is powerful like these and it will make the job much easier and safer.

as far as a lift...u can rent one around here that goes about 45ft for $250.00 a day and they would work pretty well. u can get a 60 footer but price goes up.

good luck!

oh ya, on the 10K price...that sounds outrageous! we normally charge $350-$500 to trim a tree depending on how big, where its at, the risk factor etc. prices can vary slightly from these figures depending on the job.

trimmed one the other day for a customer and it was a huge ash tree with large diameter branches way out and over the house. was hard to get to & had to re-position truck 3 times to get it all. charge H/O $525 for that one and they were as happy as could be. man it was a hard one though...whew!

oh ya, on the 10K price...that sounds outrageous! we normally charge $350-$500 to trim a tree depending on how big, where its at, the risk factor etc. prices can vary slightly from these figures depending on the job.

trimmed one the other day for a customer and it was a huge ash tree with large diameter branches way out and over the house. was hard to get to & had to re-position truck 3 times to get it all. charge H/O $525 for that one and they were as happy as could be. man it was a hard one though...whew!

their is a lot. I'm thinking about the lift for a week maybe.

20 trees maybe. All just need limb work done, most the limbs are dead as dead gets.

with that many u should be able to find someone that would work you a deal on that much trimming. i would give a real competitive bid on that many. renting a lift for a week could cost ya some money not to mention all your time. thats worth something.

with that many u should be able to find someone that would work you a deal on that much trimming. i would give a real competitive bid on that many. renting a lift for a week could cost ya some money not to mention all your time. thats worth something.

I might get the lift form my uncle. I dont mind doing it. Were not goig to hire a pro theres no money for that. They will sit their and keep falling and wreking things befor anyone chips in to get a pro to do it.

I might get the lift form my uncle. I dont mind doing it. Were not goig to hire a pro theres no money for that. They will sit their and keep falling and wreking things befor anyone chips in to get a pro to do it.

Let the stuff get damaged. You are not replacable. You are not experienced to do this. Be safe.

Let the stuff get damaged. You are not replacable. You are not experienced to do this. Be safe.

ill be fine. Its nothing to tecnical. Ill use my head and go at a steady pace.
Thanks for the usefull comments.

Do you have any photos of the driveway or other trees your going to work on?

What kind of lift does your uncle have?

Have a buddy that was driving and woke up in the hospital. Branch fell and went through the windshield. Co-worker was walking in the park when he was struck in the head, 30 staples later. Understand your stand on being proactive with the limbs for safety.

Do you have any photos of the driveway or other trees your going to work on?

What kind of lift does your uncle have?

Have a buddy that was driving and woke up in the hospital. Branch fell and went through the windshield. Co-worker was walking in the park when he was struck in the head, 30 staples later. Understand your stand on being proactive with the limbs for safety.

Ill have to grab some pictures have no time lately....

i understand what ur saying...gotta address those dead limbs because they can sure cause damage or hurt someone.

good luck man...

If you got 10k for me ill hire a pro. Thanks for the useless comment.
I kinda know i didn't need a top handle i'm just throwing down questions. Im not going to hang onto them? I already said everything you said....i know its different from the air and i never said i wasn't scared....

Illiterate...Hmmmm, that does read 10k up above right? ya see you are a wanna be & you come here for advice & the hope you`ll be told "sure! you can do it".

You dont even know what kinda bucket to rent but you have experience in them:dizzy: you "kinda" know you need a top handle saw:dizzy: and you know its different from the air :dizzy:

well Golly.... Gomer, trim them thar 20 trees, clean up your own mess, run a saw and a bucket by yourself/inexperienced ground personnel......Yep! you`ll save a bundle! jack:censored:

LXT................

Illiterate...Hmmmm, that does read 10k up above right? ya see you are a wanna be & you come here for advice & the hope you`ll be told "sure! you can do it".

You dont even know what kinda bucket to rent but you have experience in them:dizzy: you "kinda" know you need a top handle saw:dizzy: and you know its different from the air :dizzy:

well Golly.... Gomer, trim them thar 20 trees, clean up your own mess, run a saw and a bucket by yourself/inexperienced ground personnel......Yep! you`ll save a bundle! jack:censored:

LXT................

Thanks man just what i needed. Ill just use a ladder and my 660 then ill just jump off the ladder when im done and hope it kills me.

What do you want me to do? Their is no money for a pro? Anwser that for me and ill start listening to you.

What do you want me to do? Their is no money for a pro? Anwser that for me and ill start listening to you.

Pictures would be amazingly helpful.

Avoid using a chainsaw from the lift unless it is a top-handle or smaller saw than you list in your goodies. At least use it as little as possible. A sharp handsaw would reduce your risk substantially.

Scissor lifts are only for hard, flat surfaces.
What is the access and ground conditions where you will want to position the lift. Has there been any ground disturbance near the outriggers. If it is right near a foundation that you will be using a machine or outrigger of the machine, be aware than that soil may be less solid than other undisturbed areas. You need a hard/ compact area that is relatively level.

If you catch any limbs that you cut, you are most likely dynamically loading the lift. Not good. Much safer to rig them with quality rope that can stand up to the abrasion, and has the right strength, or cut pieces very small to reduce your loading.

More information and pictures would help to get you the best advice.

I suggest that you not undertake this job yet.

Pictures would be amazingly helpful.

Avoid using a chainsaw from the lift unless it is a top-handle or smaller saw than you list in your goodies. At least use it as little as possible. A sharp handsaw would reduce your risk substantially.

Scissor lifts are only for hard, flat surfaces.
What is the access and ground conditions where you will want to position the lift. Has there been any ground disturbance near the outriggers. If it is right near a foundation that you will be using a machine or outrigger of the machine, be aware than that soil may be less solid than other undisturbed areas. You need a hard/ compact area that is relatively level.

If you catch any limbs that you cut, you are most likely dynamically loading the lift. Not good. Much safer to rig them with quality rope that can stand up to the abrasion, and has the right strength, or cut pieces very small to reduce your loading.

More information and pictures would help to get you the best advice.

I suggest that you not undertake this job yet.

excellent advice and very well put...

Latest posts

Back