boom lift rentals?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustangous

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a few trees around the yard that need to be trimmed and cut down that are over the house, electric lines, and so on. I wanted to rent a boom lift or something like that so i could cut down myself. Calling in a tree service is very expensive and could save a lot buy renting a boom lift and doing the work myself. Also I would benefit with other things around the yard. I called a rental company but they wont rent to homeowners. Any other ideas and suggestions?

Lie to them.:)

Electric lines are like handling explosives.

:cheers:
Well i didnt tell them about the lines.. The good thing about it is that its not touching or near, they are just above them. Also they only go to my house so there not the primaries...lol

I did find a place that would rent to me though so I'm good to go. I have about 10 different modern equipment rental places within a 50 mile radius and one of them said no problem, just gave me all the dangers and so on, which i do treat very seriously. I even have my own fall protection gear that is required for use of this machine so i dont have to buy from them... So i will be renting a genie S40 for $506 total...

An s40? I'm assuming that's a 40ft snorkel lift. Make sure you judged the tree height right. It doesn't take much of a tree to reach 40ft. My tow-able Genie has a 55ft working height and I run out of boom quite often. Tow-ables around here go for $240-260 a day. Snorkels are usually higher. Also you might want to check into a pole saw. A gas operated pole saw can save a lot of time when bringing a tree down. I think it is also a little safer because you can keep your distance from the branch your removing.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Scott

An s40? I'm assuming that's a 40ft snorkel lift. Make sure you judged the tree height right. It doesn't take much of a tree to reach 40ft. My tow-able Genie has a 55ft working height and I run out of boom quite often. Tow-ables around here go for $240-260 a day. Snorkels are usually higher. Also you might want to check into a pole saw. A gas operated pole saw can save a lot of time when bringing a tree down. I think it is also a little safer because you can keep your distance from the branch your removing.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Scott

Yeah it has a workable height of 46'. They actually call it a boom lift. the next size bigger is a S45, which gives me a work height of 51'. These arent towable models the S45 weights 15000lbs and has to be delivered by a tractor trailer. I will have to throw a rope up on the tree and tell the height. The reason i need the boom lift is because i want to take the tree down piece by piece. I feel that would be the safe way for me... Its leans hard over the house....

Thanks for the idea. I am definitly going to measure it...

Yeah it has a workable height of 46'. They actually call it a boom lift. the next size bigger is a S45, which gives me a work height of 51'. These arent towable models the S45 weights 15000lbs and has to be delivered by a tractor trailer. I will have to throw a rope up on the tree and tell the height. The reason i need the boom lift is because i want to take the tree down piece by piece. I feel that would be the safe way for me... Its leans hard over the house....

Thanks for the idea. I am definitly going to measure it...

I don't think that is what you want.

Dan is right. 15000 pounds is hard on a lawn. Find a towable lift maybe either a Genie or a Nifty

Scott

Dan is right. 15000 pounds is hard on a lawn. Find a towable lift maybe either a Genie or a Nifty

Scott

Lawn is no problem, things i have to worry about is sidewalks. driveways, septic tanks(which i dont have)... These trees are the last project before i start puting up reataining walls, doing the landscape, and so on. So i am not worried about that. A tow behind will take me at least twice as long because of the constant setting up and moving. I would have to check other places because the only genie tow behind they had went up 35'. Next is the Genie S40 then S45.

you think its easy huh? go rent one. cut away. hanging over lines. It blows my mind what people will do to save a buck. I do this everyday and still get a bit nervous around electric lines in a dielectrically tested boom(bucket truck), even with 100% confidence knowing where every piece will be redirected to. all the with the help of an experienced ground guy. no second chances in the tree game. be sure to post your adress so we can grab a lawn chair and have the paramedics on site.

you think its easy huh? go rent one. cut away. hanging over lines. It blows my mind what people will do to save a buck. I do this everyday and still get a bit nervous around electric lines in a dielectrically tested boom(bucket truck), even with 100% confidence knowing where every piece will be redirected to. all the with the help of an experienced ground guy. no second chances in the tree game. be sure to post your adress so we can grab a lawn chair and have the paramedics on site.

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I never said it was going to be easy. As a home owner I already cut over 50 trees down and saved the hardest for last. Some people have a little bigger balls then the rest. maybe you should switch careers if you cant handle it...

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I never said it was going to be easy. As a home owner I already cut over 50 trees down and saved the hardest for last. Some people have a little bigger balls then the rest. maybe you should switch careers if you cant handle it...

over 50 trees so now your a pro huh?
just because you saved the hardest for last doesnt mean you are qualified. you have no business cutting around power lines(or cutting trees aloft w/o proper training) and if you are caught you will be made to come down. i hope your neighbors call the cops on you for own safety. you will also be fined if you knock out power or damage power lines. try your luck. it is against the law in NJ to do what you are attempting. you are also attempting to do it with a metal boom. there was a report just a few months ago on here. serach the fatalities forum. in NJ death, blue genie boom was rented by a tree service(who has cut way more than 50 trees) cause they didnt have a bucket truck. I believe it was Toms River Nj. The reason it is against the law should be obvious, but those who place low value on their own well being will do anything to save a buck.

i was waiting for someone to say that.

people arnt scared of lines if they dont know
i was at 1 electrial awarness "lecture" and that was enough for me to start learning more fast.

The towable is very easy to use and only take a couple minutes to level up. Around here the power company will come and disconnect the line going to he house or you. They take the line down to the ground. Then when your done the put it back up. This is all done free of charge. I don't know if yours does the same or not. It would be worth a call. I have taken a lot of trees down using my boom. I still get nervous and a bit scared on most of them even the easy ones. Like John said you don't get a second chance. I think that is what keeps me safe. Having "balls" is what gets you hurt. Again I wish you luck and hope it turns out.

Scott

Whoa, the guy tries to give you sage advice and you slash back at him.

Bigger balls doesn't equal more brains.

A friend I know always says, "it's the guys with the biggest balls that end up knocking them off".

And if your using your crapsman chainsaw, I'd say you have huge balls. :laugh:

over 50 trees so now your a pro huh?
just because you saved the hardest for last doesnt mean you are qualified. you have no business cutting around power lines(or cutting trees aloft w/o proper training) and if you are caught you will be made to come down. i hope your neighbors call the cops on you for own safety. you will also be fined if you knock out power or damage power lines. try your luck. it is against the law in NJ to do what you are attempting. you are also attempting to do it with a metal boom. there was a report just a few months ago on here. serach the fatalities forum. in NJ death, blue genie boom was rented by a tree service(who has cut way more than 50 trees) cause they didnt have a bucket truck. I believe it was Toms River Nj. The reason it is against the law should be obvious, but those who place low value on their own well being will do anything to save a buck.
I never said I was a pro, you have NO idea of my exact situation or who i have for help. All i ask from my first post was some sort of advise for renting some type of equipment, but figured it out on my own. Some people gave good suggestions. You come on here like high almighty big a$$ hole with the typical jersey attitude that thinks his daily job is so hard that only he can do it, talking all big behind a computer giving absolutely no help what so ever. No one here knows my exact electrical situation without seeing it and its no big deal! All in all I could probably take down these trees with out the lift, but it would make it easier, i feel much more comfortable doing it this way, and i could use it for a lot other things. So i am not cheaping out, i am actually spending more to get things done right.

TraditionalTool - you got to be kidding me if the way he responds is informative. a$$holes like that can keep their advise.... It doesnt help anyone!

Not sure why people feel the need to respond to post that give no actually help or input to the op post. they post just to get their post count up!

and if you are caught you will be made to come down. i hope your neighbors call the cops on you for own safety. you will also be fined if you knock out power or damage power lines. try your luck. it is against the law in NJ to do what you are attempting.

by who, the tree police? :jester:

seriously, how is this illegal?

and if you can't find a decent climber to put it on the ground for cheaper than that rental price + your time, I'd be real surprised.
ask for a cut and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back