Boom Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about getting I guess you would call it a crane/Boom truck
I found this one from a guy i have purchased from in the past What's your opinion?
attachment.php

I can get it for 17000.00 it only has 17500 Miles on it is a 1990 only downside is it has a 429 Gas engine I'd much rather have a diesel But for the $ sound's Decent. No? :blob2:

The 429 cu in Ford,is a great engine,likes fuel,though.I saw the very last one,go down the assembly line.

I forgot to ask what the GVW is From the looks of it I'd imagine its under 26000
Hopefully anyway... :blob2:

DDM said:
I forgot to ask what the GVW is From the looks of it I'd imagine its under 26000

If it has a 14 ton crane on it and the chassis is under 26,000 it has been put on too light a chassis, IMO. From the chart it looks like an 8 ton capacity crane.

I don not Know much about cranes but if it has the Large extending Out riggers Would the GVW Matter that much?

Maybe shop around more and take a peek at some 17, and 23-ton Nationals. I've found that once you have a crane you use it all the time which means get the biggest you can afford to operate. A lot of the work we do is around 60 degrees with the boom all the way out.

DDM said:
I don not Know much about cranes but if it has the Large extending Out riggers Would the GVW Matter that much?

I think the min. would be a 33000 chassis for a 14 ton crane. If you go up to a 17 or 23 ton, chassis should be 48 to 52k, tandem axle. I am going by what I have read the min. chassis should be on some crane manufacturers website.

Here in Hawaii, boom cranes 14 to 23 ton w/operator get $110-125 an hour with a 4 hour min. A friend of mine bought a 23 ton crane about a year ago and now he is keeping it busy quite a bit. You might very well find yourself getting out of the tree business and becoming a full time crane operator. If it was guarenteed that I would make $125 an hour working by myself doing crane work everyday, I would be out of the tree business before you could blink an eye.

Koa Man said:
I think the min. would be a 33000 chassis for a 14 ton crane. If you go up to a 17 or 23 ton, chassis should be 48 to 52k, tandem axle. I am going by what I have read the min. chassis should be on some crane manufacturers website.

Here in Hawaii, boom cranes 14 to 23 ton w/operator get $110-125 an hour with a 4 hour min. A friend of mine bought a 23 ton crane about a year ago and now he is keeping it busy quite a bit. You might very well find yourself getting out of the tree business and becoming a full time crane operator. If it was guarenteed that I would make $125 an hour working by myself doing crane work everyday, I would be out of the tree business before you could blink an eye.

Keeping the crane Running Is a Desirable option I bought a Bobcat T-190 To be able to use in wet areas for tree removal and It's now doing more grading than tree work.Especially on Steeper inclines. I have a few connections With contractors that install light poles that have to rent a crane and operator on a weekly basis. So when the tree work is slow i can always hang light poles. Or atleast make enough Income hanging poles to Pay for the Crane.
:blob2:

That is a 8-10 ton size crane its not a 14 ton they won't put that on a 5 ton truck. As for the truck being a gas pot good luck that 429 is way underpowered and will burn gallons of fuel. I know one Forestry contractor that has a F-700 with a flatdeck and hiab with 429 5+2 gearing it will burn one of those side saddle gas tanks really quick. The truck is super slow the engine is screaming and the fuel gauge needle is dropping fast.

National cranes are good know a few people with them they are handy to have but you need the work for them. You just have to be carefull with Pitman (boom) cranes on single axle 5 tons is there isn't enough weight to hold them down. Sure you have out riggers but there isn't enough truck mass to resist the leverage of the boom. This Ford truck we are discussing that crane will easy roll the truck on its side if a person wasn't carefull.

There are a few nick names describing those cranes the two common names is Stingers or Pitmans both manufactures of telescoping hydraulic cranes.

Myself I wouldn't buy a F-Series Ford medium duty truck if it was a L-8000 or L-9000 single axle I would go for it. I would be buying a tandem axle if I wanted a crane truck like I said before you have a heavier truck which gives the crane more capacity.

Hmmmm. I know little about cranes but I just looked at an advert for a 17 ton crane mounted on a Ford F550. Brand new. I think that , while Pacific's points about truck weight being desireable may be correct, everyone is full of prunes about what size crane CAN be mounted on a 5 ton chassis.

14 ton crane

i have a 15 and a18 ton crane for sale 18 only has 10000miles 4 sec. live hyd. boom and jib105ft. upper controls 20 ton winch on front bumper.tandem axles .give me a call 504 915 6066 :blob5:

Last edited:
I have seen the ads for a 17 ton crane mounted on a F750, but never on a F550. I think the weight of a 17 ton crane unit itself, with the framework and outriggers, plus the truck chassis, may exceed the max GVW (19,000 lbs) that the F550 is offered in.

One also needs to keep in mind that very often you will want to carry whatever you are craning. It might be a tree transplant, an a/c unit for a contractor, a couple of big logs, etc. It is a huge mistake to go with a min. chassis....it always is, even on a chip truck.

Latest posts

Back