Boom Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ro crane at work

this was a lg. water oak we took down in a day and a half over three houses plants and fences .this is the same as the crane im selling they were sister trucks .ibought from the power co.1989 trucks only 2500 hrs.on it fleet maint.10000miles

I guess it's somewhat expected of me to say, treepres1, that you're attaching way too much image (I like the aspect of the new site software that tells us the image size up front).  I've not fetched either image, but suspect the dimensions are way too large and/or the JPEG "quality" level is too high.  In terms of the latter, 60 should be plenty, and for the former, 800×600 is still quite large for a "snapshot"; think 400×300.  100-200 KB is the preferred range of final image file size.

Glen

The boom on the truck at the start of the thread has only a max 8 ton capacity according to the load chart. At 45 degrees max extension 1650 lbs (less cable and ball)
I have operated similar units mounted on both single axle and tandem trucks and there is no comparison. I am not a ticketed operator and the companies that had them didn't know what the load charts were. You lifted till you started going light and kept the load close to the ground till you were sure it wasn't going to tip and then made sure you didnt boom down any. In that kind of scenario, the weight of the truck makes a big difference. Your tipping load is much higher with the heavier truck. I know none of you guys would ever knowingly exceed a load chart, Lol, but I dont think you would be happy with a unit mounted on the minimum truck that would allow the rated load of the boom.

I gotta disagree about the bad rap the 429 is taking here, I had one, bucket 429 with 5/2 had gobs more power than the same size truck with 366 and didn't use any (noticeable amount) more gas. Sorry, but around here, with fuel availability (not) and lack of mech who can work on diesels, I'll take gas truck and chippers anyday. Parts availability is much greater here for gas engines also. If you can't afford gas, you can't afford the truck to start with, last time I looked, gas was cheaper than diesel here.
looks like a nice truck, been thinking about getting one myself, could make life a lot easier. I rent a 12 ton boom truck and operator from the local construction company when I need it. $65/hour, theirs is on a L8000 tandem.

GVW will matter big time if you plan to licence it. That looks like too much crane for a two axle truck. I have also had trouble finding parts for Ford medium duty trucks. Ford sold the division to Freightliner (Daimler-Chrysler) who now build them as Sterling

canguy21 said:
GVW will matter big time if you plan to licence it. That looks like too much crane for a two axle truck. I have also had trouble finding parts for Ford medium duty trucks. Ford sold the division to Freightliner (Daimler-Chrysler) who now build them as Sterling

All my Trucks are Ford Medium Duty Ive been able to get parts just fine.... Truck Pro stocks about 90% of them.....

That is true, Glen, but he will still want body and trim parts. My former employer had a L700 service truck and a LT9000 tanker that were getting difficult to find Ford parts for (door hinges for one)

my father and i have a 14 ton ro stinger boom on a ford l 9000.and has a double frame , and tandem axles . i too think that truck is too light for that boom for tree work .plus how much stick does it have . you lose alot of pick when reaching out . so keep that in mind .

boom trucks are for washed-up geezers. Spend the money on a big bag and a new climbing line. The truck sounds like more bills to pay so you'll have to work more. When you're a minimalist you can retire or take a hiatus whenever you please... stress free.

what a crane does in a day will take you 2 days .getting big wood out of yards for example , instead of bucking up the pieces loadem whole ,get out of there sooner and go too another job time is money . we also put up roof trusses and lift machinery . use your head and not your back make sense.and by the way the truck payed for itself already.

Back