Boonville, NY Woodsman's Field days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycherry1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was up in NY last week and my brother needed to get some Timberwolf parts so he asked if I wanted to tag along on the one hour drive to get them in Boonville. I figured he was going to Hud-Sun so I tagged along. It turns out he was picking parts up at the Timberwolf booth at the Woodsman's Field Days! What a wild event. Anyone anywhere near the area of that should go. Just remember teeth are optional, chew is mandatory. :laugh:

They had everything from the biggest TimberJack skidders to the smallest log arches for lawnmowers (they were so cute!). Every firewood processor made was represented and my brother is shopping for a second processor so we gave them all a good looking over. He is very biased and loves his Timberwolf so it was hard to get him to objectively look at the Cord King or the Multitech. He needs a big processor and he loathes the resplits required with those machines.

The best part was right after we got lunch and we were by the grandstand I see a swarm of honeybees heading towards the main tent areas. I got right into the middle of the swarm figuring if they landed somewhere bad I could scoop up the queen and move her. They looked like they were about to land on a Stihl tent corner about 7' above the ground but then they went over the tent and right smack through the bandsaw milling area. I followed the swarm as people freaked and ran for cover. My brother said it was hysterical to see people running for their lives and me just wandering along in the middle of the cloud of bees watching their every move. They proceeded through the bandsaw area and ended up in a tree about 12 feet above the ground near the covered bridge entrance gate. The Timberjack salesman was very interested in them and he dragged his wife over with their camera and had me show her where they were located in the tree so she could get some pics of the cluster of bees.

Overall it was a sight to behold. The grinders are getting bigger and bigger and the skidders are getting bigger and meaner too. The firewood processors have not changed much in the last 10 years from what I have seen. Box wedges that made a mess of splitting seem to be the rage, but how anyone can sell that kind of crappy sized wood is a mystery to me.

As I said, anyone near that area in August each year should make an attempt to get to that field days. It is something to see. I have not been there in about 30 years, and it brought back fond memories.

We got my brother's parts and lugged them out and all was well.

Back