Bore cut felling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those old saws cut faster than you would think, a good team would make visible progress.

Your right old timer. Can you believe that I know how to joint & set a tuttle? I still have alot to learn, but I am learning.

It was also before Americans became fat and lazy.

Damn right!!

Here is a little thing my Bro wrote about playing with crosscut saws.

Randy and I took a crosscut saw,probably a 6 footer,
picked out a big madrone,these can be
scary with a good saw,weird grain and twisted,
The first cut went good,we instinctively co-ordinate,
trying to finish the undercut ,not so good,
crosscuts don't do that well,
we should have chopped it in.
the back cut was going smoothly.....
That big 42" madrone split "Barber-chaired"
flew down the steep ground,crashed,blocking the road.
A minute later the state park Ranger showed up,
we were not to cut any tree over 12 inches,
Our reasoning,told to this fellow,
was that on that ridge the trees,
went tanoak,madrone,tanoak,madrone,madrone,tanoak.
We sought symmetry.
We didn't get into much trouble,
the tree got cut and split,stacked along the road,
the park sells it in bundles,to campers.
I started healing the saws,work got done,
we still have all ten fingers,
a little DEAF THOUGH.
And all that was just a couple hours
of work,plus we cut the stump off,
leaving evidence,a 6 foot spike on the stump
was embarrassing.

Humboldt

Hey Tarzantree when you are working on that cliffy ground when you can only cut from one side and your punching over a big tree like a 7-10 footer that those spruces can get too how are you dealing with the offside putting in the undercut and backcut. Reason I am asking is have you seen any fallers cutting the offside backcut by boring through the undercut and cutting around till you can safely cut from the nearside. I know spring boards would more than likely been used but this method was shown by Dent at a few of our sessions. It works well just very sketchy the first time while your saw is inside the undercut and your in front of the tree cutting the offside.

Hey Tarzantree when you are working on that cliffy ground when you can only cut from one side and your punching over a big tree like a 7-10 footer that those spruces can get too how are you dealing with the offside putting in the undercut and backcut. Reason I am asking is have you seen any fallers cutting the offside backcut by boring through the undercut and cutting around till you can safely cut from the nearside. I know spring boards would more than likely been used but this method was shown by Dent at a few of our sessions. It works well just very sketchy the first time while your saw is inside the undercut and your in front of the tree cutting the offside.

I can't speak for Cody, but typically myself and my guys use springboards or sometimes some makeshift scaffolding. We will cut the guts out of them from the undercut, especially on the big spruce. If you don't have every piece of fiber that needs to be cut on a Sitka Spruce, you'll be pounding wedges until the sun goes down! They will simply be sky bound!

This particular job was a union job and was a by the hour ROW "right of way" job and we where just selling the marketable logs and where chipping the rest.....oh and the boss did let for an added coushion for an accident if it occoured in the bill...as WE where getting PAID to remove the trees and do the brush removal and clearing.....now im sure it would've been different if we where just cutting it for JUST the log money and thats it....i bet i would've got a big time a$$ chewin as well....but on THIS job it wasnt the case....and this kid was also hired on to be a cutter the same as i was....so where really was i wrong to let him cut it?.....remember HE told ME that he could do it better....im not the boss and if i would boss him around i sure that neither him or the boss would've appreciated it....so then i would've been the bad guy....one of those d**ned if you do D**ned if you dont moments....now granted i was working there longer than he was...but that still doesnt mean im the boss....

Was this before or after you where using spring boards to cut 10' dbh trees in PA?

Joe, you know that we had 15dbh white oaks and 20dbh chesnuts in VA back in the old days. I have some photos of MONSTROUS white oaks taken in VA.

Need to find them. .

The largest tree logged in the State of West Virginia, near Lead Mine, Tucker County, 1913. This white oak, as large as any California Sequoia, was probably well over 1,000 years old. It measured 13 feet in diameter 16 feet from the base, and 10 feet in diameter 31 feet from the base. © McClain Printing Company

They have no concept of just how big the Sequoia's are. And I don't know that the rest of those photos captions are accurate.

Joe, you know that we had 15dbh white oaks and 20dbh chesnuts in VA back in the old days. I have some photos of MONSTROUS white oaks taken in VA.

Need to find them. .

I have never heard of anything close to 20' dbh chestuts. Do you have any documentation of this?

The trees didn't get nearly as tall, but I am proud of them. . .

As for accuracy, I dont know, do I believe it? yes. After all this time, from the year 1492, I have cut some big trees, and found some REALLY big trees, there HAD do be some big big bammas around!!

I have noticed through youtube vids and pics that guys leave NOT MUCH wood to hold spruce. Ide LOVE to cut some big Sitkas at some point..

Yeah, they're my favorite! Beautiful big pipes that hold their taper right to the tassles! Unfortunately I missed most of the valley bottom spruce, have seen the stumps, makes me shed a tear! We had some nice spruce this summer on heli. Had a nice quarter picked out for myself, but was too busy to get on the saw! Damn it!

Bore cuts bore cuts bore cuts.

HOW did the misery whippers EVER get ANY timber on the ground??????

H O W? ? ? ? ?
In the days of the misery whip there was alot of good timber left and the sawyers probably just chose the more straighter ones, but I bet they still had their fair share of chair.
John

Latest posts

Back