Bore cut felling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems this gets beaten every couple of months!
I've used the bore cut several times. Once on a 36" Hedge, once on a 26" Hedge (Osage Orange, Iron wood) that had heavy leans.
I don't know if you are familiar with this wood or not, but it's not fun stuff, and when it gets that large it presents many problems in itself then add a lean and it's worse. It's a very dense and stringy wood, but as it grows, it's either codoms grown together, or twists as it goes up. It's very rare to find much straight wood in the mess, and once of the ground large pieces will fall into smaller ones because of the callusing as the codoms grew. Lots of tension, lots of things to go wrong on a leaner.
I've also used it on several Oaks and a couple of nasty Hackberries. The Oaks present their own problems with the long straight grain, and I have barberchaired a 36" Oak once, bad deal!
Is it something I do with every tree? No! Thats a waste of time and resources. Is it a handy tool to know and know how to do well? Damn skipy it is! Saved my bacon more than once!
For the poster worried about leaving too much hinge, I've done that as well, the 26" Hedge in fact. But here's the thing, you have the tension off of the tree at that point. Even if you chase the tree off the stump you should have enough wood behind the hinge to hold together at that point.
Now it's hard to get the feel for, and scares the piss out of you at first, that's good, fear demands respect! The point you get comfortable running a saw and think you have it mastered is the time you get hurt! Fear it, and respect it!
But I can't wait to see how this one goes.

I get the feeling that the folks bashing the bore cut have probably never tried it or don't know what they are talking about.

fear demands respect! The point you get comfortable running a saw and think you have it mastered is the time you get hurt! Fear it, and respect it.

:agree2: Its new to me. Ive never herd or seen a bore cut. Iz just wanting to know more about it.

I get the feeling that the folks bashing the bore cut have probably never tried it or don't know what they are talking about.

Apparently, among your other handicaps, you have a reading problem. Take a deep breath, go back through the posts in this thread, read slowly and make a real effort to retain what you've read.

Most of us have tried the bore cut and know when and where it's called for. What we're not saying is that it's the safest method to fall a tree and that its appropriate for every situation. It's not. Never has been. Never will be. Clear?

From the videos it seems that most of the time the tree is already leaning in the direction of fall, therefore no wedging takes place? I could see how this could be dangerous if you didnt know what you were doing. i bet you better not file the rakers down to much either(like i have before) or you might get a mouth full of bar. Ive never seen it or done it either, but i can see that there would be a time and a place for it. Probably not ever cut though.

Some of you dudes need to chill. I take it from the responses that this has been hased out before. How about we agree to disagree and leave it at that. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. All I did was answer the guys question. I did recommend that he get some personal instruction before trying it.

Some of you dudes need to chill. I take it from the responses that this has been hased out before. How about we agree to disagree and leave it at that. You do it your way and I'll do it mine. All I did was answer the guys question. I did recommend that he get some personal instruction before trying it.

:agree2: Give us all beer. lol

By "chill" do you mean that when you post nonsense we should just all ignore it?
Sorry, lady, but things don't work that way. And I don't agree to a damn thing.

You're a state forester and to a lot of people, misguided though they may be, that means you probably know what you're talking about. They'll think that if you say something is good, bad, or indifferent it must be the absolute truth because you're a forester. You do yourself, and everyone else who's foolish enough to believe that you're an expert, a grave disservice with that kind of attitude.

You say you "cut timber for many years"....most fallers I know have better sense than to say that any one method is the safest. Most fallers I know, while being proud of what they do, have enough wisdom, experience and humility to realize that every tree is different and there isn't any one way that works every time.

So...you "chill", lady...and leave us to do what we do best.

You're a state forester and to a lot of people, misguided though they may be, that means you probably know what you're talking about. They'll think that if you say something is good, bad, or indifferent it must be the absolute truth because you're a forester. You do yourself, and everyone else who's foolish enough to believe that you're an expert, a grave disservice with that kind of attitude.

Who took a leak in your cornflakes. I am not feeling the forester love. I suppose that anybody with an education regardless of work experience is an idiot. Sounds like you have some insecurity issues to work out. I agree that every situation is different and every tree is different, but to completely down a proven and safe felling method because you don't like it or more likely because you don't know a whole lot about it is narrow minded. Y'all have fun.:bang::bang:

It has gotten pretty boring around here lately. At least we have livened things up a little.:hmm3grin2orange:

I agree that every situation is different and every tree is different, but to completely down a proven and safe felling method because you don't like it or more likely because you don't know a whole lot about it is narrow minded.

LMAO... :laugh: THAT my fair maiden is one of thee most narrowminded posts I have ever read on this forum...

Bob and a lot of us here have more fallin' knowledge than you can fathom. Guys like Bob have forgot more than you'll (or I for that matter) ever know. Trust me... we know how to employ the beloved bore cut. BUT NOT FOR EVERY STINKIN' TREE WE FALL! You run around out here wastin' time with a plumb-bob thingymajog, and you're gonna be so far behind, the chokers will be nippin' your heels.

Proven Safe! Ha! So is the Conventional, the Humboldt, the Coos Bay, etc. They are all proven safe. Hells Bells... the Coos Bay is waaaayyyy better than your "bore cut"... so before you start spoutin' all your GOL crud... remember, there are proven ways to put wood on the ground safe and fast. Next time I go out on a strip I'm gonna start makin' "bore cuts" with a plumb-bob, and see how quick I get laughed off the mountain...

...and BTW, piss tatses good in cornflakes. :laugh:

Gary

HAY LADY.......... YAYYYYYYYY.

Maybe some of yall have herd of crank yankers?

HAHAHAHA!

special-ed-crank-yankers-audio-junkies-forum.jpg

Special Ed rocks!

Gary

Who took a leak in your cornflakes. I am not feeling the forester love. I suppose that anybody with an education regardless of work experience is an idiot. Sounds like you have some insecurity issues to work out. I agree that every situation is different and every tree is different, but to completely down a proven and safe felling method because you don't like it or more likely because you don't know a whole lot about it is narrow minded. Y'all have fun.:bang::bang:

Cari,

Perhaps you should pull them OSHA certified ear plugs out? Bob (Gologit) said he uses the bore-cut, in fact he said it's a good cut. . . In it's place.

As far as experience, I reckon Bob has more falling and logging experience in his fingernail clippings, than you got in your "entire career".

So, listen up, and because Bob won't want to repeat himself -- here's the skinny. The bore cut is a good cut, it has it's place in timber falling. . . It's not a one size fits all cut, there are other safe, widely used, proper, and productive techniques out there besides the open face or bore cut. Selling those techniques as a blanket 'do-all' is crap, and is detrimental to newbies trying to learn a thing or two, and possibly dangerous.

There are a few East Coast loggers on this forum that have adopted a lot of West Coast technique. . . Why? Because it works, it's safe, and it's better. It helps them produce, so they can pay their bills.

I'm sure you're a good forester, and I'm sure you're good at it, and I'm sure you know how to use a chainsaw. . . But you're dead wrong with your statement towards Bob, and your wrong about a one-size-fits-all cutting technique.

Cari,

Perhaps you should pull them OSHA certified ear plugs out? Bob (Gologit) said he uses the bore-cut, in fact he said it's a good cut. . . In it's place.

As far as experience, I reckon Bob has more falling and logging experience in his fingernail clippings, than you got in your "entire career".

So, listen up, and because Bob won't want to repeat himself -- here's the skinny. The bore cut is a good cut, it has it's place in timber falling. . . It's not a one size fits all cut, there are other safe, widely used, proper, and productive techniques out there besides the open face or bore cut. Selling those techniques as a blanket 'do-all' is crap, and is detrimental to newbies trying to learn a thing or two, and possibly dangerous.

There are a few East Coast loggers on this forum that have adopted a lot of West Coast technique. . . Why? Because it works, it's safe, and it's better. It helps them produce, so they can pay their bills.

I'm sure you're a good forester, and I'm sure you're good at it, and I'm sure you know how to use a chainsaw. . . But you're dead wrong with your statement towards Bob, and your wrong about a one-size-fits-all cutting technique.

Gologit (our beloved Bob) started out logging with a bronze ax and went through iron, steel and then drag saws. There are no trees on Antarctica because got there before the place was frozen over. (Don't get him started on the polar shift topic.) There was no Chestnut blight or Dutch Elm disease, it was Bob who killed all those trees. Bob's first skidder was a wooly mammoth. In other words he knows of what he speaks. And he is right about caricob not understanding what was posted. Bore cutting is well known to us and employed when needed. We can perform it safely and quickly but it is not the only club in the bag. Those of us who wield a saw regulalry need a whole bag of clubs.

LMAO... :laugh: THAT my fair maiden is one of thee most narrowminded posts I have ever read on this forum...

Bob and a lot of us here have more fallin' knowledge than you can fathom. Guys like Bob have forgot more than you'll (or I for that matter) ever know. Trust me... we know how to employ the beloved bore cut. BUT NOT FOR EVERY STINKIN' TREE WE FALL! You run around out here wastin' time with a plumb-bob thingymajog, and you're gonna be so far behind, the chokers will be nippin' your heels.

Proven Safe! Ha! So is the Conventional, the Humboldt, the Coos Bay, etc. They are all proven safe. Hells Bells... the Coos Bay is waaaayyyy better than your "bore cut"... so before you start spoutin' all your GOL crud... remember, there are proven ways to put wood on the ground safe and fast. Next time I go out on a strip I'm gonna start makin' "bore cuts" with a plumb-bob, and see how quick I get laughed off the mountain...

...and BTW, piss tatses good in cornflakes. :laugh:

Gary

DAMN Gary, you is really scarin me with all that techno talk!

BTW whats the Coos Bay look like? i have herd of it but cant picture it and that is unacceptable!
:cheers:

O yea, Caricob, if you ever see an immaculately clean strip full of humboldt stumps out there in VA, that is the work of yours truely. the east coaster with the west coast brain....

The gentleman who asked the question was from TN not California. He will likely not be cutting many 4' diameter redwood trees. The statement that ""putting wedges in a bore cut is an exercise in stupidity" is, how should I put this? Stupid! I did not say that this method is the only way to cut a tree, but it is a very safe and effective way to do so. I have not been through GOL but I am familiar with it. It amazes me how people react to anything new, whether it be tree felling or any other aspect of logging. Just because daddy or grandaddy did it this way does'nt make it right. Any way I'm not here to argue, I was just trying to answer a question for a fellow member. GOL is not the only place where people learn to do this. I cut timber for many years using the old tried and true methods but I had enough flexibility and intelligence to try something new, and discovered that there is a better way to make a mousetrap

I don't know you and you don't know me so I will give you the benefit of doubt. Are you capable of learning anything or are you to highly educated to learn anything new.

Lesson one- Learn to use some paragraphs, it will make your posts much easier to read and understand.

My grand father was cutting timber in the Appalachians when the transition from misery whip and ax to chainsaw took place.
When the chainsaw first came on the scene they started using bore cuts. My bore cut training traces its roots back to the first power saws to come to the eastern US.
Some time after WWII the old tried and true timber falling technology in the south eastern US was lost. It was replaced by Asplundh tree service technology, mechanized harvesting and some kind of kerf face, cut and hope technique.
The technology that came from Europe to the US kept moving west and was only found in the western US, when they reinvented the wheel and called it new and introduced it to those who had lost it the first time. But it was promoted as the very best and safest way to cut trees in virtually all situations.
It can cover for some mistakes or lack of training, but it is far from the end all, be all of timber falling.

As for driving wedges into the kerf of a tree that has been cut up but still has a strap holding the back, it is an exercise in stupidity. And anyone endorsing it is just showing off their ignorance.

Latest posts

Back