Bought a 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fffrosty72

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a new stihl 290 farm boss two days ago, took it right out and cut up a downed ash that was about 17" across at the base. It wasn't quite as powerfull as I expected but did the job well. It's nice to own a saw that starts and runs this well!!

Run a couple more tanks thru it and it should run even better once it breaks in. I have one also with only 2 tanks thru it and it cuts good but it is not broken in yet and it is by no means a pro saw . So once the warranty is up i plan on muffler modding it . I dont need to set any speed recordes for cutting wood on a once in awhile bases.

I was just sawing with another 290 owner who picked up my CS510 Echo, he never put it down and asked me how much one cost. I'm going to have to look at that 290 as my Echo cut at least twice as fast. Steve

I got a new stihl 290 farm boss two days ago, took it right out and cut up a downed ash that was about 17" across at the base. It wasn't quite as powerfull as I expected but did the job well. It's nice to own a saw that starts and runs this well!!

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Stihl owners family. Your saw will last you a long time and despite what you here it;s a good saw.
Now, prepare yourself for others to come around pick the 290 apart (as it like anything else isn't perfect) and tell you what you should have bought.

Seriously, it will need to break in and seat the rings and then it will perk up, it is a great saw.

Sorry to hear that - you must have got some bad advice........:censored:

It will do what it is designed for, but not very gracefully........

Last edited:
Welcome--and pay no attention to the naysayers

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to AS. Yes, it is very nice indeed to cut with a high-quality, dependable saw. Many people here on AS forget what it was like to make that first move from a box-store cheapie to a REAL saw--that big step up is indeed a memorable one, a memory to savor.

Your 290 will do just fine in the wood. The real problem will be with your brain--you're likely to start scheming about what saw to buy next, what the best 2- 3- or 4-saw plan might be, what kind of chain to run, what oil at which ratio, and more. IF you fall victim to CAD there's plenty more entertainment between your ears to follow. If not, have fun with your 290, wear protective gear and stay safe!

Olyeller

I had a 029 Farm Boss back in the day... Good inexpensive Stihl. Not a PRO saw NOT advertised as a PRO saw either. Good Bang for the Buck 379.00 w/ 20" bar sometimes the local farm supply actually has a SALE on them:clap:

It's the Timex of Saws Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin...:)

I got a 270 not too long ago...def not super powerful, but it def gets the job done and regardless of what others say, its still a stihl! I would have loved to get a 361 or something like that, but no way could I have convinced the wife to let me shell out that much dough! Enjoy it...and they def get better after break-in...seem to drink less fuel after that as well....

This isn't your average chainsaw bunch. Not many 290 fans here. Have you ever even thought of doing "timed cuts"?
"Too hard to work on" however mine is 7 years old and never been worked on.
Paid a bit over $300 new and could probably get over $200 out of it now. That's some pretty cheap wood cutting.
Use good fuel and oil, file your chain frequently and be careful. You'll do ok.

Congratulations on the 290. It'll serve you well for a long time if you take care of it. You got a lot more saw for the dollar than any of the guys who turn their noses up at it. I bought one about two years ago, and when I saw another used one for a good price, bought it too. My son and I share the two 290s and an 041, cutting about 20 cords of firewood a year.

Back