Bought a Dolmar 5100s - thanks guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backtroller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After enjoying my brand new 421 so much, I was on the look out for a used 5100s or 5105 for a decent price. I missed two here in the last few weeks. However I picked up a nice, lightly used 5100s last Friday off of Craigslist. It's a 2007 model. It was wearing the original bar and I am guessing the original 18" .325 chain. Pulled the muffler and everything looks great. Easy to start. and runs well too. I picked Fordf150 and nstueve's brains about bar and chain choice and got an ipl from Roy. Just wanted to say thanks guys. It is amazing how helpful people are on this site.

Bought a 18" Total Super bar and went with 3/8 chain from Nate. image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Looks nice. I really like the looks of those total bars. Now just try and keep from lusting over a 6100

I have 3 of that series saw,all running 3/8s pitch chain,in 16/18/20 inch.All run great,except for leaking bar oil when sitting ,they are great saws!Good luck with your 2 saw plan,looks great.
RR

Six saw plan that seems to be growing....I have too much overlap. I need to decide what to let go

ONLY 6!!!

That saw looks clean for an 07. What condition was the original bar in?

Also you just gave me a new use for the table saw. The clothes washer is a pain to use when its repair season for the saws. The dryer just isn't big enough for parts anymore.

Nice original bar with most of the paint still on. I don't think they ever flipped it since the rail had a little burr on it.

The table saw seems to make a nice table lately...its kind of sad.

I'd love a 6100 and that ported one that just recently sold made me wonder why I keep the 6421.

I've been collecting parts for a 7910 conversion. Poleman set me up with a modified carb and unlimited coil. In all honesty it will surely be overkill. A ported 6100 and few different length bars would be enough. But then I'd have to sell my minty 034av....sell my 026Pro...

Congratulations on Your Dolmar PS-5100!
I hope she'll serve You well.

I have and use both Dolmar PS-6400 and PS-7900!
The PS-6400 I call mine since 2006., the PS-7900 I own for over a Year now.
For whatever reason running my PS-6400 along, or even instead of my PS-7900 does not disappoint!
Am I less spoiled then You guys, or am I just "attached" to the PS-6400 because she was MY first saw purchase?

If You feel You don't need or want Your DCS6421 anymore, make the conversion to even a stock 79xx and You'll be looking for big logs just to enjoy that saw! ;)

Always nice to see Dolmar users. :)
:cheers:

I too have a 5100s and a 6400. I have had the 5100 for a few years and it is a great saw. I have the itch for another saw. I was thinking either a top handle or a 421. My question is, is the 421 lighter than the 5100 enough to make a difference or not worth it? Since you now own a good variety what is your opinion?

Just took a few photos to show the size difference between a few saws for you. The 421 is on the left 5100s is on the right. Weight wise, with the old 18" Dolmar bar on the 5100s and a 18" on the 421 the 421 is lighter but not a huge amount. image.jpeg image.jpeg I don't have a scale. I'm not a professional photographer either.

View attachment 466954 Finally, the 6421 to make the others look small
And where is the PS-90x0 to make the DCS6421 look "average" sized? :rolleyes:

If You start something like this You can't just stop at the middle of it, well maybe 3/4th! :p

Nice saw lineup! :cool:
I didn't realize the PS-421 and PS-5100 are so close in size.
The PS-5100 looks even a bit narrower then the PS-421.

I still like the shape of the DCS6421 the most and I don't mind her being a "big" saw, I am well built too and can handle the load! :D

Nate I totally agree with you. The 026 was my most used saw before I picked up the 421. The 432 is easier to start, is smoother and while I haven't used them side by side or timed cuts, that 421 feels very strong. The 026 has a muffler mod and I threw on a wt194 carb so it runs very well. However, To me the 421 feels better in my hands, but again that is totally subjective. Also Nate gave me a screaming deal on it!

With that said, I can't wait to try the 5100s. Both of my Stihls (besides the 192) have ridden the shelf since I bought these Dolmars.

There will be no 9000 series for me. Not sure I can even pick that one up

Latest posts

Back