Bought a Dolmar 5100s - thanks guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that I sold a new Stihl 251c to buy the 421, actually made money even after buying the new 421, and shortly after using it sold my 024av.

Wow i didnt realize the 421 and 5100 are so close in size. I was thinking about a smaller saw for cutting up small stuff. The 5100 works great for it but it sounds lime a good enough reason to buy another saw..or 2.

I'm sure Dolmar makes a top handle ....don't tell anyone but I've used one on the ground a few times

Dolmar quit importing the 3410th a while ago . But now my local dealer told me that since the dolmar name will no longer be in the US there will be a new Makita top handle. I told him to put my name on the waiting list now but i guess they have been promising dealers a new top handle a while.

I thought so. I paid $200 for the saw with the original 18" Dolmar .325. bar. I felt that was a very fair price for a saw that was used very little.

There are a few scored cylinder 5100 and 5105 on eBay that seem to be going for not that much less. Too bad oem cylinders and Pistons are so pricey or used ones don't seem to pop up too often to fix one.

So have you had a chance to run the 5100 yet? Still curious to see how much different it is then the 421.

New TH is coming. pics of it look good and if advertised specs are correct it will be a contender. power to weight will be almost identical to the latest version of a 201T. We will see how the balance is and how its put together. should be out in the next 6 months if we are lucky. I honestly am not getting hopes up to high on the release date since they have been promising a new TH for about 4 yrs and it hasnt shown up yet.

Great ford now i have to spend my nights dreaming of a th and not knowing when it will come. Maybe if i buy a 421 in the meantime it will hold me over.

I bought one of those 5100s's you mentioned from eBay two weeks ago. It was the one he said he could almost get it to start. It showed up with a caked air filter. I popped it off after fueling it and it fired right up and ran great. There was light light scoring on the exhaust side of the piston from running it with the filter that way, but still getting replaced. I couldn't resist grabbing my foredom when I had it opened up.

No haven't run it yet. I threw the bar and chain on when I got them in the mail to take the picture. Then my wife wrapped them up and my kids are giving it to me tonight for Christmas!

I had toyed with the idea of picking up a 5100 previously but didn't want to spend a lot since I already had a really nice and clean 026 Pro. When I responded the the CL ad and the guy accepted $200 I couldn't turn it down.

Thanks, but I actually bought it the day after Thanksgiving.

The H was turned all of the way out and I'll cut in the spring and see how it does. I cleaned up the yard for winter and have nothing to cut.

Back