Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are very affordable, so affordable that the cost for the first two years is free. Its called the two year warranty and should be used when needed. ;)

Otherwise your right, I looked and a new oiler is around $5.

One other thing I found when looking is a IPL for a Poulan Pro 4818A that apperars to be the exact same saw as the 5020 but for a 18" bar.

Anyone seen one of these out there?

You sure about the 4818? They make a PP4218, but I haven't heard of a 4818. The 4218 is a little different. It has the no-tool chain adjuster on it and an inboard clutch rather than the outboard clutch the 5020 sports.

Yes they are very affordable, so affordable that the cost for the first two years is free. Its called the two year warranty and should be used when needed. ;)

Otherwise your right, I looked and a new oiler is around $5.

One other thing I found when looking is a IPL for a Poulan Pro 4818A that apperars to be the exact same saw as the 5020 but for a 18" bar.

Anyone seen one of these out there?

They are on the home depot website. Never seen one though, my local HD does echo/ryobi/homelite I believe.

Local tractor supply does husky and poulan, but only the very smallest cheapest poulans, no poulan pros with antivibe at all, not on the shelf anyway. They push the home owner huskies.

No, the PP4818 is real. There was a discussion about it on here a week or two ago. Anyway, it's the same chassis as the 5020 so for the weight I'd rather have 50cc.

just a quick look in: Snapping a few pics as I go.
so hope I'm getting the exposure close.
(low res on the [old]camera's monitor screen)
will sort and post if I got any useable shots later.

found some of that small chip/dust packing happening under the pump cover.
Pulled everything including p/up tube all good & clean
all the bits look undamaged.
no stripped/distorted plastics anywhere though (Yay)

gentle doses of starting fluid for wash and and easy touch of air
and towel dry. verify flow through all passages including
pump plunger ##cylinder/tube , pick up coil/filter.

( ##really tempted to measure/calc area of those ports
and open about 20~odd? percent
but deburing the internal cross drilled passages , afterwards,
is more than I'm up for today )

Wish I knew if that vent tube [ #10 in pdf-ipl ]
pulled out
and reinstalled from pto side
but not gonna risk messing w/today

Well, the part numbers for the piston kits are the same, but there seems to be some misinformation out there. There's nothing on the Poulan website. Northern Tool lists the PP4818A, but then specs the engine as a 42cc. Something smells fishy!

Last edited:
Lol - I looked at the IPL but never bothered to compare the part numbers. Poulan certainly has a rep for marking the same displacement all manner of things!

And why bother making an engine 2cc less anyway?

Don't overlook the fact that Poulan badges their saws as anything they want as long as it isn't MORE than the actual.

Selling a bigger saw engine in a smaller labeled case is nothing new for them!

Mike

Back