Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic, Spike touched on the excess weight of the 5020, and it stuck in my head as from the beginning I thought that while being no lightweight it really wasnt out of line for its intended purpose and price range.

Looking through my files of saw weights last night I was reminded that the Stihl 029 SUPER weighs over 1lb more then the 5020 and is only a few cc bigger.

Seems a overwhelming majority thinks the weight of the 029 is not out of line for a homeowner saw so I don't see how the 5020 could be criticized to bad especially seeing that it is a strato.

Just bought one today

I finally wore out my Wildthing after 12 years of service. I could not begin to tell you how much firewood that old saw cut in it's lifetime. No, I don't use it every day but do heat an 1890's farm house exclusively with wood in northern Michigan if that gives an idea. I bought the 5020AV after research and this thread topped it off, thank you! If I get the same quality from this as I did Miss Thing than I will be a happy (and warm) camper! I am very very fussy about keeping my saws clean which I think makes all the difference in the world to a long saw life.

Grizz

BTW: my other saw is a little 38cc 14" Homelite that has been a little champ it's self!

Last edited:
Back on topic, Spike touched on the excess weight of the 5020, and it stuck in my head as from the beginning I thought that while being no lightweight it really wasnt out of line for its intended purpose and price range.

Looking through my files of saw weights last night I was reminded that the Stihl 029 SUPER weighs over 1lb more then the 5020 and is only a few cc bigger.

Seems a overwhelming majority thinks the weight of the 029 is not out of line for a homeowner saw so I don't see how the 5020 could be criticized to bad especially seeing that it is a strato.

Well, the 029 hardly is a worthy "milestone" to compare to, as that signals you are discussing really crappy saws....:taped:

I finally wore out my Wildthing after 12 years of service. I could not begin to tell you how much firewood that old saw cut in it's lifetime. No, I don't use it every day but do heat an 1890's farm house exclusively with wood in northern Michigan if that gives an idea. I bought the 5020AV after research and this thread topped it off, thank you! If I get the same quality from this as I did Miss Thing than I will be a happy (and warm) camper! I am very very fussy about keeping my saws clean which I think makes all the difference in the world to a long saw life.

Grizz

BTW: my other saw is a little 38cc 14" Homelite that has been a little champ it's self!

Welcome, and from the sounds of it, and the way you care for stuff, I'm sure it will be a just fine saw for you.

Well, the 029 hardly is a worthy "milestone" to compare to, as that signals you are discussing really crappy saws....:taped:

Well......

Yeah I know where your coming from, but it is what it is.

I think my perspective on the comparison still stands.

Now repete after me, $200 out the door, $200 out the door.......

Last edited:

Well now Niko ol' buddy,
You have to remember that not everyone NEEDS a $1000.00 pro saw.
There are those who would rather have an adequate $200.00 (out the door) saw and put the other $800.00 to work for themselves MAKING money instead of having it tied up in expensive, overpriced chainsaws like the nuts here at A.S.!!!

Just sayin'

Mike

Welcome, and from the sounds of it, and the way you care for stuff, I'm sure it will be a just fine saw for you.

Well......

Yeah I know where your coming from, but it is what it is.

I think my perspective on the comparison still stands.

Now repete after me, $200 out the door, $200 out the door.......

I am going to check one out. I have a pp295 no race horse but does the job.:msp_smile:

I think you are missing the point by a mile here...proly something like 95% of the wood cut in the USA is cut by joe homeowners and farmers wielding cheap poulans, stihl 290s, husky 235s or 435s, box store small echoes, etc. there's a huge market in the under 300 dollar (or so) saws. Because really, that is all they need. There are millions, literally millions, of people who won't go through two gallons of mix a year, counting both the saw and the weed whacker. Something like the pp5020 fits the bill just fine for a lot of people, same with the 290. Little bit heavier or doesn't cut as fast as a 346 or 261, pfft, they won't know or care and are not going to spend double or triple to get that three seconds faster in a bucking cut time or two lbs lighter saw. They just ain't gonna drop *another* 300 bucks more on a saw looks almost the same to them while sitting on the shelf. I saw this just a couple weeks ago at the local husky shop, joe homeowner came in, they got a 346xp there..they showed him a..I forget, a 445?/something, home owner grade for much cheaper, the around 300 buck saw.. why? They want to make a sale, not have the dude walk out and go someplace else. And that saw will work for that guy for what he needs. He doesn't need or want the 500 buck saw, plus tax and BS, comes out to 550 bucks. No sale at that level to 95% of the saw buying public.

And they know when one of the dwindling in numbers fast local pro cutters come in, they have that grade (346 and 372, etc) for those guys (most timber here is now mechanized harvester cut). They can pay for that extra quality because in part, not only a nicer day to day production saw, but it is a tax writeoff as well. They make more money easier plus get a writeoff on the saw.

Different saw strokes for different folks.

200 bucks for a new 50 cc saw ain't too shabby, even if it is a light duty saw.

Heck, that was exactly me six years ago, I cut all my personal firewood and all my necessary farm work trimming, fencelines and pasture edges, with a 200 buck husky 137 for four years. Bought it new, my first new saw, in 2006. I only got into larger saws and this site from getting nailed with the tornado two years ago and just slap needed "more" saw, then just got into it more. I am still learning daily, how to work better on saws, how to work WITH saws better, etc.

That little husky is still pulling strong today and I could still do all my firewood and work with it if that is all I had. the bigger saws are nice now because i can tackle larger trees easier and so on, but it isn't an absolute necessity either. Pro saw..nope..big..nope..but it was only 200 clams and worked just fine for me. If the tornado hadn't hit here I doubt I would have gotten another saw. I recognize now being able to tackle larger trees is a good thing plus it is fun, I am enjoying it and in this weather I am cutting daily, but short of emergency work..the 2-300 dollar homeowner grade saws -any brand- work well for the vast majority of people who cut out there today.

Well now Niko ol' buddy,
You have to remember that not everyone NEEDS a $1000.00 pro saw.
There are those who would rather have an adequate $200.00 (out the door) saw and put the other $800.00 to work for themselves MAKING money instead of having it tied up in expensive, overpriced chainsaws like the nuts here at A.S.!!!

Just sayin'

Mike

Where does the fun go, with that attitude? :msp_biggrin:

Where does the fun go, with that attitude? :msp_biggrin:

For most of them the fun goes to....."Aruba, Jamaca, oooooooh I want to take her to Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty Mama, Key Largo, Montego baby why don't we go, oooooh I want to take you down to Kokomo"!!!!!

Let's take $800.00 that Grizzly708 saved and multiply that by 9.5% that could be earned in a decent mutual fund.
Now multiply that by the 12 years that he owned the saw and the total would be $2377.17.

A pretty tidy sum and for MOST of the people who own a chainsaw, can be a LOT more pleasureable than looking up at a shelf in the garage twice a day and thinking "Man that pro saw looks good sitting there gathering dust.".........:D

Mike

Thanks for all the info on this home owner saw.
This saw is just what I am looking for, having lent out my old and trusty Husky 350 to a friend who ran it on straight gas and scored the cylinder/piston... returned it not running...

I only cut down and cut up a few 30ft palm trees 2-3 times a year. Max 18" diameter.
I don't need to spend $400 on a good saw, just an adequate one.

Lowes is out of stock of the Poulan 5020
Sears has the 35098 in stock for $209.99 plus tax.

Exact same model?

http://www.arboristsite.com/asset.php?fid=237627&uid=89441&d=1352000603

This saw is just what I am looking for, having lent out my old and trusty Husky 350 to a friend who ran it on straight gas and scored the cylinder/piston... returned it not running...

I only cut down and cut up a few 30ft palm trees 2-3 times a year. Max 18" diameter.

Exact same model?

Same saw just black plastic.

Exact same model?

Welcome to AS! Buy the Poulan and fix the 350.You can get a new piston and cylinder reasonable.

joecool85 - Mahalo for the confirmation that this is the exact same saw as the Poulan Pro 5020. Good to know!

redheadwoodshed - thanks for the welcome! You guys have a great forum here!

I have the husky 350 back from the shop with the muffler off.
When I get the time I will take another look at it and see what I can do.
I have seen some parts on e-bay.
Will read all the 350 threads here before I strip her down.
Maybe buy a shop manual 1st !!

Meanwhile I see our Lowes has the Poulan Pro 5020 in stock at $219.
I might well pick up one of these saws tomorrow and see how she does cutting down Coconut and report back.

Aloha!

Last edited:
ok I got two of these, one new and one used. Both in Craftsman flavor but same thing. I got the used one up and running and tuned the carb threw a new chain on it and put it in wood, it is a heavy saw. But for a consumer grade saw I have to say I'm impressed things are logically placed and it is fairly well designed.
It has a pretty decent power output but yes you can see there's just flat out too much bar. I ran the used one long enough to verify perfect function and tune the saw. My brother in law loves it hes been cutting hard with it for a while....
I pulled mine out of the box and got it running, it was farther out of tune than most Craftsman's. But I have it running pretty good. Mine seems to be a little finicky on the high side it likes to surge when its buried in the cut. But I have it running pretty decent. It is a good all around saw yes a little heavy yes a little too much bar, but honestly its a pretty darn nice saw it runs well has decent power and is priced right. I think it will be a durable saw for the money. It is a bit gas hungry I have noticed It does like to drink the fuel. But otherwise I don't feel bad having it in my collection. Now its time to tweak the muffler.

Back