Bought a Stihl 261. Did I make a mistake?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensor419

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had read a lot of positive comments here about the Stihl 261 and liked the looks of it at the dealer so I went ahead and bought one ($515 out the door). Today I have read some comments here on AS about Stihl doing some cost savings on parts (like cylinders) that may have lowered the quality/durability of their saws. Did I make a mistake buying the 261? I could have gotten a Dolmar 5105 for $419 from a local dealer. I was just worried about lack of Dolmar dealers and wondering if the local dealer would be carrying Dolmar for the long run. What do you all think?

Ok point blank the hub bub on the net blows EVERYTHING out of proportion!

I've sold several MS261's and nothing but positive reviews.

If they indeed lowered the standards vital components, dealers like myself would be seeing
large failure rates. But we don't, my shop sells 500 or so units a year, and I do less than
15 warranty claims a year. And that includes warranties on units we didn't sell.

In Stihl's world when over .5% of all units produced have had similar warranty issue
a recall is usually issued. The typical warranty failure rate is around .1% of all units produced.

Run the saw if it does the work you want it to, and you like the saw don't get your panties
in a bunch. If it fails to meet your expectations then you may have bought the wrong saw.

Last edited:
I had read a lot of positive comments here about the Stihl 261 and liked the looks of it at the dealer so I went ahead and bought one ($515 out the door). Today I have read some comments here on AS about Stihl doing some cost savings on parts (like cylinders) that may have lowered the quality/durability of their saws. Did I make a mistake buying the 261? I could have gotten a Dolmar 5105 for $419 from a local dealer. I was just worried about lack of Dolmar dealers and wondering if the local dealer would be carrying Dolmar for the long run. What do you all think?

I dont think you made a mistake, no.

I havent run a 261 extensively, but it seems like a very strong runner & I know there are many on here who would say its the best in its class. Seems to have the most grunt of any 50cc saw.

The concern over Stihl using less high quality pistons I *think* is mostly in their lower end saws. I have not ripped apart any of the newer saws but I dont believe they have had substantial drops in quality (although I admit I may be wrong).

The Dolmar product is probably my favourite but I will openly admit I am biased & its a personal call at this point. I dont think the extra $100 should be looked at as money lost - if you ever decide to re-sell, you should find the stihl product holds its value better anyway.

Actually IMO, he has a point in that Stihl quit going with the Mahle P/C in favor of their own, which is not a bad thing that i know of. I think they have an Italian cylinder on them now. These are the high end saws i am referring to. To that end it has been discussed on AS before and IMO people did feel it was a step in the wrong direction for Stihl to get away from the Mahle P/C. But thats just opinions. I'm sure the Stihl cylinders are just fine. But like people have said before on AS, even the nice Italian P/C Stihl are using now, still arent Mahle. So, take that for what it's worth. Basically opinion. But....for all I know Stihl may very well be using Mahle again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses and my panties are not in a wad...haha. Just when you read things here on AS it starts you wondering what is right and so I wanted to get some feedback. I have experienced how Stihls can hold their value. Sold my very well taken care of 026 Pro for only $75 less than what I paid for it 13 years ago. So the new 261 did not cost too much extra.

I thought about the 346 (same price as 261 here) when I was looking but several comments on AS said the 261 has more torque and thus would be a better general use saw, so I got the 261.

Sensor, quit reading the bs on here. Our saws make a good portion of our living in the fall thru spring. I own a 346xpne it is a great saw, but I'll take a 261 over it any day for our work in the firewood business.
I've run saws for well over 35 years, about every brand and lots of different models, IMHO the 261 is as good as any saw I've ever run, it's build quality is solid as a rock. I'm been blesses in the fact I can afford to buy any saw that I desire, with that said I'll be buying another 261 this fall for use in our firewood business. Don't second guess yourself, a 346 will not do anything a 261 can't lol. For years the 346 was the best 50cc saw on the market and has a huge following, deservedly so, but if some would take their brand blinders off and run a 261 for any reasonable lenght of time they would see that the 261 (depending on the user) some additional positives. Every model of saw on here has it's cheerleaders. I've been as big as 346 cheerleader as anyone, take nothing away from it, but imho Stihl raised the 50cc bar with the 261. If the truth were know I say about 85-90 percent of the guys on here could do all their wood cutting with a 261. Remember this is an enthusiast site and it take a modded 70cc -90cc saw to cut firewood, nothing wrong with that at all, got one myself, just remember most of us on here are chainsaw addicts with a monthly need for a bigger meaner faster saw.

Enjoy your 261, with good mix and a little tlc you'll be cutting wood with it 30 years from now, like me and my little 028.

Definately not a mistake. Just make sure you use fresh non-ethanol fuel and the right oil and that saw will only get better for the first 10-20 tanks as it breaks in, then it should last till your kids are old and gray then the grand kids can use it

Thanks for the great feedback. Sounds like I did OK with the 261. Now I will go cut some wood with it!

Actually you made a terrible decision, please ship the saw to me so that you can back on the right path in life...:)

I have to agree with Indiansprings when he says 90% of the guys could cut all their wood with a MS261...

I was skeptical at first, but gave that little saw a chance and its the saw I grab first for most jobs now...what a little sweetheart of a saw...

I think you will be more than happy with your choice!

The only mistake you can make now is not retuning it:msp_w00t:

Start searching for carb adjusting on the 261 and then you will be good to go if you are of the mechanical mind to do so.

Mine is awesome to run and the few that have run it don't want to put it down

You bought one of the very best 50cc saws money can buy. The only thing wrong with them is they are usually too lean from the factory. My dealer just had to replace the topend on one. The piston was all scored up and part of the exhaust skirt had actually broken away. Make sure you get it richened up ASAP!

How choked up is the ms 261? Is the muffler easily modified? When I got my 260 pro it was disappointing after a muffler mod and 20 tanks of fuel it turned out to be a great saw.

The 261 is a great saw, and there's no way anyone can use the word "mistake" in it's vicinity. Very smooth, well balanced, and just plain enjoyable to run.

I may ruffle some feathers though with my next comments. I understand how Stihl fans might like to think that the 261 has eclipsed the 346, but it just isn't so. And neither is "more torque".

Got together with another member and we ran a 261 against two different 346's. 18" 3/8 on all three saws and we burried the bars in hardwood. All three saws had the same muff mod. Both Huskys outcut the Stihl. Somewhat decisively.

Not intending to demean the stihl, and start the usual war of words, but this "raised the bar" stuff that's being put out just isn't reality, and I felt the need to respond to it despite the "incoming" that I'm sure I'm about to receive.

Again keep in mind, when I got to run the 261 I said, "Wow, this is a nice saw. They really nailed it." But this "it's better than the 346" talk is Disneyland.

Let the counter attack begin.......:wink2:

Latest posts

Back