Bought an isuzu npr for my stump grinding truck.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 NPR isuzu that needs a bit of work. It is supposedly down on power. I gave $1000 for it so if it's down on compression,(5.2L turbo diesel) I may rebuild it or re-sell it as a parts truck. I have to take the cube body off as part of the deal. If it's something simple like a bad turbo or fuel problems, I'm going to fix it and build a low flat bed with fenders and a beaver tail for my 8018. This will be a late summer prodject but I'm open to ideas to set this up for the ultimate trailerless stump grinder hauler,(must hold hand tools, fuel cans and chainsaws as well)

it has a 5.2L in it? If im not mistaken my 02 nqr has a 3. something litre. Theres is a thread somewhere here where I converted it from a box to a chip dump. Something like a landscape bed would probably fit your needs well then if you ever decided to sell im sure a landscaper would jump all over it.

npr

since its a 2001 it would have the 4.8 the 5.2 didnt come out until 2003 . the first thing i would check would be the fuel system.... et the injectors tested and check the coolant tank for bubbles when its warmed up . you may have a cracked head and if it is you cant machine them because of the timing gears
hth

it has a 5.2L in it? If im not mistaken my 02 nqr has a 3. something litre. Theres is a thread somewhere here where I converted it from a box to a chip dump. Something like a landscape bed would probably fit your needs well then if you ever decided to sell im sure a landscaper would jump all over it.

Right now having a low deck hieght so I don't have to climb on it to chain down the grinder is a bigger priority. The frame rails are 26" off the ground. I'm planning on building a bed with fenders that won't ad much more. The bed will be designed so the fenders can be removed and the bed blocked up for a flat bed without fenders.

since its a 2001 it would have the 4.8 the 5.2 didnt come out until 2003 . the first thing i would check would be the fuel system.... et the injectors tested and check the coolant tank for bubbles when its warmed up . you may have a cracked head and if it is you cant machine them because of the timing gears
hth

I'm hoping to get it home this weekend and run it a bit. I'll check those things out.

I like your idea. I've thought about doing that myself. Maybe getting an F350 4x4 with some ramps built into it to pull right onto. You could get close to wherever you needed to work with the 4x4.

I like your idea. I've thought about doing that myself. Maybe getting an F350 4x4 with some ramps built into it to pull right onto. You could get close to wherever you needed to work with the 4x4.
I looked at an F350 but two things I didn't like about it was poor turning radius compared to the cab over isuzu and the frame rails were about 5" higher than the isuzu meaning an higher bed height. I want a bed low enough that I can load and unload without jumpinb on and off the bed to chain it down. The 350 would certainly tow better if you need to pull a trailer behind.

Latest posts

Back