Bought my 2nd Stihl today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BloomingtonMike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a MS260 Pro chainsaw (first chainsaw). I use it for firewood and keeping the trees cleaned up. I want to take some out around my pond but the willows and cottonwood shoots are crazy thick and soem are 6'-7' tall and 1"-3" in diameter. Need to clean up before taking outthe trees. Started looking for a Brushcutter last week.

Today I bought a Stihl FS250 Brushcutter with the Bike handle bars. Used it about 4.5 hours today or so. This machine is awesome. I am about 5'10 and it works great for me. I love the power and reach it has. I bought three additional blades for it - chisel circular saw blade, a 4 blade grass and another brush circular blade. If anyone is needing a brushcutter check this model out. It is crazy. Before this my last machine was a small craftsman curved shaft model.

Now thats just not fair, you aren't even compairing apples to oranges with those two!!!
Andy

BloomingtonMike said:
I own a MS260 Pro chainsaw (first chainsaw). I use it for firewood and keeping the trees cleaned up. I want to take some out around my pond but the willows and cottonwood shoots are crazy thick and soem are 6'-7' tall and 1"-3" in diameter. Need to clean up before taking outthe trees. Started looking for a Brushcutter last week.

Today I bought a Stihl FS250 Brushcutter with the Bike handle bars. Used it about 4.5 hours today or so. This machine is awesome. I am about 5'10 and it works great for me. I love the power and reach it has. I bought three additional blades for it - chisel circular saw blade, a 4 blade grass and another brush circular blade. If anyone is needing a brushcutter check this model out. It is crazy. Before this my last machine was a small craftsman curved shaft model.

Nice you will enjoy them..

BloomingtonMike said:

Thats one awesome machine Mike. That thing runs around 11000-12000 rpms and it cuts like crazy. You will have a ball with that thing. I've sold alot of those to farm owners and they flat out tell me its the meanest cutting machine they have ever used. Theres a road in Fla that the state refuses to trim because of snakes. The state hires this outfit to cut it for them. The road is 21 miles long and guess what that outfit uses, the Stihl 250. They said it will eat a snake up as fast as the weeds and grass. Good choice Mike, real good choice..............

Good choice. I love mine. It is my primary trimmer on my propety. I recently purchased the brush cutter blade (still have not used it) and I have the chisel tooth blade as well. I use it quite a bit. I have not bought all of the sharpening accesories that are shown on the package. I just file by hand. I put a large bolt and nut through the hole in the blade and put it in a vice and file away. It seems to dull fairly quickly. I think I will buy a couple more blades and every once in a while I will take the to the saw shop to be sharpened properly. If anyone has any advice on sharpening these blades I am all ears.

If you only have the basic harness that typically comes with the fs250, I would highly reccomend the double comfort harness. I really like it. I am thinking about trying the Double Full Harness shown in the catalog, but I may stick with what I have.

Jim

I bought a FS250 and a 192T a few weeks ago. For whatever reason, my FS66 had the cylinder work loose and I cooked the piston (melted the rings to the piston) and scored the cylinder horribly. Surprisingly, it still runs. I love the power of the 250, cuts like a dream and has amazing power compared to the old 66 I had. I've yet to try my brushcutter blade as the 250 with string will take care of most the things I had to use the blade on the 66 for. I was leary of picking up one of the 4 mix trimmers. Has anyone tried one of those yet? The dealer I went to wouldn't fire one up to let me see how I liked it. According to him, the 4 mix is not as quick, but is more torquey...as he put it, like a Harley. Whereas the 250 is like a crotch rocket, pin the throttle and hold on. I would guess my FS66 was close to 20 years old, I just hope the 250 lasts half as long.

As a sidenote, the 192T is a decent little saw. I've only put a tank thru it, but it seems to cut decent. Certainly not a 200T but it's a decent saw.

BTW, anyone have a FS66 cylinder and piston in decent shape they'd like to part with?

ky-homelite said:
I bought a FS250 and a 192T a few weeks ago. For whatever reason, my FS66 had the cylinder work loose and I cooked the piston (melted the rings to the piston) and scored the cylinder horribly. Surprisingly, it still runs. I love the power of the 250, cuts like a dream and has amazing power compared to the old 66 I had. I've yet to try my brushcutter blade as the 250 with string will take care of most the things I had to use the blade on the 66 for. I was leary of picking up one of the 4 mix trimmers. Has anyone tried one of those yet? The dealer I went to wouldn't fire one up to let me see how I liked it. According to him, the 4 mix is not as quick, but is more torquey...as he put it, like a Harley. Whereas the 250 is like a crotch rocket, pin the throttle and hold on. I would guess my FS66 was close to 20 years old, I just hope the 250 lasts half as long.

As a sidenote, the 192T is a decent little saw. I've only put a tank thru it, but it seems to cut decent. Certainly not a 200T but it's a decent saw.

BTW, anyone have a FS66 cylinder and piston in decent shape they'd like to part with?

The 4-mix trimmers run fine, I have had very very few problems with any 4-mix. The 130 4-mix is almost on par with the 250, almost. The 4-mix is a funny sounding engine but is quieter and as your man told you does put out some torque, more so than a 2 stroker. The 250 though, that thing is a airplane with handles.......

04ultra said:
THALL you guys get the big bore kits in for the 4mixes yet...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Nope, fraid not ole boy, maybe soon,lolol. Ya know I got one customer(landscaper) that has 12 FS110R trimmers he's been running non-stop weekly for the past 5 years. He swears by them. He claims they just keep on running and running and running, he's sold on the 4-mix 100%.

Latest posts

Back