Bound Up Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl029Tree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I loaned my Stihl 029 Super to a neighbor. He returned it in pretty poor shape. It looks like he was cutting roots. The chain is extremely dull and the saw seems to run poorly. I replaced the chain as sharpening would have taken hours.

The problem is the sprocket that turns the chain seems tight. I assume it was run dry for a time without bar oil. I disassembled the saw and noticed the bearing was missing a few cylinders. I will get this replaced. I have loosened things up, cleaned them up, oiled them but my problem is I am having difficulty putting the sprocket housing back on. I realize there is a notch and pin that have to be aligned, but I still have been unsuccessful in putting it back together. Any suggestions.

I loaned my Stihl 029 Super to a neighbor. He returned it in pretty poor shape. It looks like he was cutting roots. The chain is extremely dull and the saw seems to run poorly. I replaced the chain as sharpening would have taken hours.

The problem is the sprocket that turns the chain seems tight. I assume it was run dry for a time without bar oil. I disassembled the saw and noticed the bearing was missing a few cylinders. I will get this replaced. I have loosened things up, cleaned them up, oiled them but my problem is I am having difficulty putting the sprocket housing back on. I realize there is a notch and pin that have to be aligned, but I still have been unsuccessful in putting it back together. Any suggestions.

** The lesson here is to not loan your saws out. Right?

jerry-

You might suggest that the neighbor take the saw and have it repaired for you. "since you abused my saw, how about getting it fixed..." rather than getting it fixed yourself and giving him the bill. It will let him know that you're not pleased, and allow him to save face....or not, his choice.

As much as I dislike the 029 series of saws, they deserve better than that!!!
Make sure the chain brake isn't engaged for starters. If that doesn't work, I would then have the neighbor take it in and foot the bill, not only for the repair but also for a new chain.
I only have one rule with loaning my saws, I come with them and I'm not cheap.

You might suggest that the neighbor take the saw and have it repaired for you. "since you abused my saw, how about getting it fixed..." rather than getting it fixed yourself and giving him the bill. It will let him know that you're not pleased, and allow him to save face....or not, his choice.

I have to agree with this statement, as well as the one about not loaning your saws out.

Make sure bore of drum is clean I had one once that the cage had melted into a film that coated bore and wouldnt go back on. Is that clear? After I read that it sounds goofy.:dizzy:

Actually, the lesson is that you have one or two 'loaner' junk saws on hand for just such an occasion, like a Poulan or Homelite from Home Depot, that you lend to people you can't easily say 'no' to.

Even then, I wouldn't be happy if my crappy loaner saws came back in such condition, let alone a high $$$ one.

No dirty root cutting or cutting in dirt or metal cutting is a rule for even my crappy loaner saws.

Almost any tool can be trashed and abused, but in my humble opinion chainsaws can be more easily damaged by somebody that is unfamiliar with them than most other tools or equipment. My rule has always been that I ONLY ever lend one of my chainsaws to somebody that I know personally has the skill to use it properly. If I follow that rule, I rarely lend my saws, since most folks who know how to use them already own one! I have no qualms about tactfully telling somebody no, I won't lend you my saw because you're not skilled enough to use it an you could really really hurt yourself real real quick. Lending a chainsaw to somebody unskilled in using one is like lending somebody a gun without a safety on it and with a hair trigger.

Thank you everyone for the obvious life lesson; but does anyone have any suggetions about how this cover goes back on.

Latest posts

Back