Bow/Arrow Throw Line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works but sometimes seems to take alot of time na d sometimes can be frustrating, as it hangs up and won't always drop through. I like the idea PTS had of a carp bow, sounds like it would work better.

I've been using a 45lb bow with 80lb Dacron fishing line for "throwline" and I'm having pretty good luck. I use a fiberglass carp arrow that had a threaded head. I took the point off and screwed on a couple of nuts for additional weight. The dacron line slips easily through the bark to allow the arrow to fall, and if I get hung up I can break it off without too much trouble.

On occasion I have shot through my tie in point and into a neighboring tree, but then I usually have a good opportunity to get a throwline over the dacron line where it crosses between the trees so that I can pull the dacron down between the trees.

I tried the bow fishing reel. Works great for short lengths of line when I bow fish, but did not work well with a long length of line. The dacron cut under itself on the spool, larger diameter lines slipped off too soon and "Backlashed". A larger "Shoot Through" bow fishing reel would probably work better, but I'll save that money for a Big Shot. For now I belay the line on a tarp and it works pretty well.

I'm sure the Big Shot is better, and I intend to have one some day, but I'll have to use what I have for now. It gets me by. I set a 5/8 pull line about 80 feet up a topped out pine a couple weeks ago with the bow, on my second shot, and saved myself a climb. Placement can be very precise when things go right.

bigger better shot

johnnyhart
i use a modified "potato" gun to shoot throw bags. launching 16 ozbags is not a problem. i use air pressure instead of arisol. 60 psi will throw a bag 80 feet easily. higher throws and higher presures are experimental but lower throws are are simple, lower psi. make one i garantee you will love it if not for the entertainment value alone

Back