Bowline mindblock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattman said:
I have a new guy working for me who has gone through Navy Seal school, and can't tie a single knot. What gives?

I have an Ex Marine that is a big time rock climber that still cant tie a running bowline, I guess at least he can tie a regular bowline. We had a removal using a lift and he wanted to block some stuff down, but had to use a figure 8 on a biner to rope the chunks down using a loopie sling and a block. But once I un hooked the chuncks and he pulled the bull rope up to the block I just yelled up to him. "What are ya gonna do now Knothead??"" It took him a few seconds to figure out what I was saying and then he said. "Oh Crap" or something like that. He had to unscrew the block with every cut because the fig 8 and biner woundnt pass through the block. Whats up with you Jar Heads any way? Im thinking they remove half your brain and put it in a jar when you go through boot camp. Thus the name Jar Head.

Rangers Lead The Way!!
Kenn

Animated BoB (Bowline on a Bight)

The last of set of external links near the bottom of page of: Knot Links Page you should download the fantastic "Life on a Line" Free E-Book (1st section has excellent look into mountain climber's knots) by Dr. Merchant. On page 40 B.O.B. appears here too; as well as much good knowledge throughout.

i prefer a DBY as basic temporary eye, an upgrade in strength, security over a regular bowline, and like B.o.B.; bitter end doesn't finish in the way(inside the formed eye). Knudeone/ Dan Ledham is working on some other bowline versions.

Last edited:
treechick said:
someone on this site mentioned a bowline on a bight.... gotta admit that one's got me stumped???

It's just a regular bowline, but tied with the rope doubled up... that's what a "bight" of rope is. It's also how "saddles" were tied, back in the old days.

Ya ever seen a "Dragon bowline?"

bowline trickery

Hi, Butch ! I checked out the web site on knots that TreeSpyser turned me on to, and I now 'own' the bowline on a bight ... but it is indeed different from a bowline in that the loop passes over itself... and I also tied it wrong and got a running bowline on a bight >>> though I'm sure it goes by a different name ?

treechick said:
Hi, Butch ! I checked out the web site on knots that TreeSpyser turned me on toQUOTE]

that sure is a very informative site that kenny made there but thats going a bit far dont you think

Hey Out-just helped a buddy of mine take down a 50' climbing wall that he bought. Guess who was up on top helping with the takedown- a US Marine. Guess who was down at the bottom controlling the rack-a US Marine. Take your ranger stuff and stuff it! :p

Awe, c'mon Steve; don't ya know, i've just barely slipped my shoes off...

i seek comprehensive coverage, before paring back.
The links are those that i keep fer myself; jsut do it openly.
Once again trying to be comprehensive; if ya saw link someplace
and are looking fer it, hopefully i can help.

i also try to give some vision into my sight;
much werk ahead; including learning mo'bout FrontPage.
(closing your Quote statement with "[/quote]" instead of "quote]" might give desired effect)

There is a B.o.B. version that ya make the bight for tail and rabbit hole; and just bring the bight tail through the double in the bight rabbit hole, around the standing part, and back down the hole. That bight giving 3rd loop. (Thought MB might be talking about)

A Portugese Bowline gives 2 loops too; just a standard bowline with extra loop for another eye; but the loops slip their slack back and forth. which can be good or bad, depending on use.

A Spanish Bowline gives 'splayed'/spread (mneomic: Spanish/Splayed/Spread) loops, with good for wider angles of pull etc., that might leverage other bowlines, that are set with a more inline pull force to the standing part, rather than across standing part axis; where you might use this. Direction of force, is all ways most important; in fact without a direction to the force,there is no force in my mental comix of decision making.

Young Damsels, Beware the Dragon!
-KC

Last edited:
dbeck said:
mattman - apparently navy seals are just shoot em up, blow em up guys. Look out;)

SEALS are pretty boy, trim and bleach my hair kinda boys. Oh and I have to spend an hour in the tanning beds kinda boys. Do you know how many SEALS I have seen drop out or Ranger School? I have no respect for those Hollywood clowns. I will put a Ranger platoon up against a Seal Platoon any time.
Kenn

Pssst. Kenn, Remember that we are all SUPPOSED TO be on the SAME side. BTW, How many people even know that the Air Force has deep penetration , behind the lines special ops guys? I wonder if they are the best since they've been doing it for decades and noone seems to have noticed? ;) :angel:

A shock collar huh, Sounds kinda kinky to me. As long as its some sexy domanatrix and not you doing the shocking Im down for it.

Kenn

Latest posts

Back