bowline not for life support.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what do you tip tie with? I never liked the Yosemite tie off. I run a bowline with a dubbed scaffold to back it up. I read a while ago that its call a bowline with a grapevine.?

he ties his wrong or opposite to me???... The rabbit goes around the tree right to left clock wise then down the hole on RHS

This maybe a upside down southern hemisphere thing

any hoo I'd not use bowline dead end holding knot as he's right it could roll out mine holds me to biner harness but the end is dressed or used as prussik

I've never had a problem in 13 years and I put a figure 8 in the tail. I can tie a bowline behind my back in seconds, I normally re-tie when repositioning or throwing/pulling rope through crotches or I don't like the look of it. Once it's weight loaded it's stays pretty stable when you're clipped in. As I said, I've never used anything else except spliced eyes, and even they get caught in some crotches

Some cordage is just so stiff and wiry that it is difficult to get a knot to set very well.

That's a braided kernmantle rope he is using as in a rock climbing application. We don't use that kind of rope because it does not hold a knot well and its too stretchy. If you tie the bowline correctly, tensioning and tightening, it will hold with the correct rope. Just don't use rock rope.

I may be as green as can be but you did not put any weight on the knot to set it. Plus if you follow the line, after you put in the yosemite and shake it you grabe the wrong part of the line to create another loop. The loop that you createed was made from where you finshed up the yosemite. Once you pull it, it just pulls out the tail. and not the actual support loop.

yoyo loves attention. He may be a retired math teacher that is talking to us.
Jeff :popcorn:

You're close. Remember Smokey01? The guy who put the white plastic chair on top of a spar? The guy who bought every single piece of climbing gear available, whether he needed it or not? The guy who would ask advice and then argue with it? The guy who would give advice to newbies...bad advice at that? The guy who almost gave 'Beans an ulcer?
Same guy.

Guess you are also aware, dear ole uncle Bob, that that "same guy" knows more about climbing techniques than probably 90% of climbers represented here?
I enjoyed meeting Richard in Charlotte at TCIA Expo.
Bad advice gets freely dispensed on the 101, chainsaw, homeowner, or firewood forums. Big deal. Nobody is paying for the advice, and if someone is willing to take that advice at face value without any further investigation, then I guess the hapless victim will get the life lesson he or she deserves.

Cheers,
your nephew Dave

Guess you are also aware, dear ole uncle Bob, that that "same guy" knows more about climbing techniques than probably 90% of climbers represented here?
Bad advice gets freely dispensed on the 101, chainsaw, homeowner, or firewood forums. Big deal. Nobody is paying for the advice, and if someone is willing to take that advice at face value without any further investigation, then I guess the hapless victim will get the life lesson he or she deserves.

Cheers,
your nephew Dave

I'm glad he found a mentor. He'd do well to listen to you.

I can't agree with your "....hapless victim will get the life lesson he or she deserves." That's a little cold. Don't we have the obligation to at least make an attempt to keep people from getting hurt when they blindly follow bad advice?

If some of you think this is about tying, dressing and setting a knot, a how to or about the kind of rope that is used you're missing the point completely. I won't even address those that want to make it personal.

Cheers,
your nephew Dave

And how much of this knowledge applies to working climbers? He's a rec climber trying to give experienced working climbers advice:rolleyes: Seems like his newest hobby/obsession, once he gets bored he'll be on to the next. Maybe professional kitebuilding or http://jumpboots.com/

Any knot can be tied/used improperly, I have hung on the end of a bowline knot many thousands of times and have never seen one fail in actual use. I have watched several demonstrations of how it can fail over the years but none of them seem to actually hold up in real life use.

I used to use one for my dog's leash, it would slip over his head and would need to re-tie it all the time. I still use a bowline at each end of the tether for my ascender, I whipped the tails tight after I seated the knots. Its been in service quite some time and has never been re-tied. It has thimbles in the eyes, its quite bullet proof. If I told you I had 15 years on it without so much as one single strand coming out of alignment you would call me crazy buts its true.

I used a RB for an SRT anchor and for other anchors making sure to dress and align everything so it stays under enough tension to hold the knot while in use. Once any bowline has been subject to being completely unloaded or moved from its original position and location then suspicion would be in order and definitely check that ************!

Several time I have had to abandon my SRT anchor due to people ignorantly trying to help and ended up loosening my knot. Sometimes I was in a position to see what they had done and sometimes not. Real " wish you had a hatchet to throw " moments yessir.

I can't agree with your "....hapless victim will get the life lesson he or she deserves." That's a little cold. Don't we have the obligation to at least make an attempt to keep people from getting hurt when they blindly follow bad advice?

I don't like seeing bad advice getting dispensed. Mebbe someone can tell me what part of the video posted was bad advice? The point of the video was to show "how" the knot can fail. Which it did, period, full stop.
nb. I've been using a bowline as a termination knot (without a Yosemite tie off) for 25+ years of part/full time tree climbing. For the cordage I use most of the time (safety blue high vee, Arbormaster, Blue Moon, Stable braid) it ties and sets very well. If it didn't, I would have given up on using it eons ago.
As to how much of what the OP posts being beneficial to working climbers, I dunno what kinda climbing some guys do (bucket babies mebbe?) that they couldn't occasionally benefit from tips being shared by a recreational climber. I guess the elite climbers who Know Everything can be dismissive, but I'm still trying to improve my game, and will be till I quit this biz altogether.

Forgot to mention that occasionally notice that a bowline attachment to a steel biner used for light lowering will be loosened badly when the line is pulled back up to me. Always kinda bugs me that the groundie that undoes the biner from the limb is oblivious that it needs to be tightened up.

Further to the above, Gologit, do you remember back in your Mod era, that I sent you a PM once upon a time requesting you remove a vid posted in the Chainsaw forum by a complete yahoo using a top handle saw one-handed like he was Tarzan clearing brush with a machete? You declined the request.

Latest posts

Back