bowline on a bight, grabbing just one loop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Say I want to install a 5/8" block on a bull rope using a bowline-on-a-bight. Only one of the two loops formed will fit into the attachment pin pulley. Is it acceptable to do this? Otherwise, what's a recommended knot for this application that will actually come out after she's loaded to several thousand pounds? This is a snatch block w/ come-along application by the way.

I've had good luck with using a butterfly knot. Sometimes I have to use a hammer to get the knot apart but that's only if I'm using the truck or a come-a-long on it.

Rather than a hammer, you can use a breakable stick in the knot. When the knot is to be untied, break the stick (usually about thumb-thick works) at the knot and remove from the knot. You have slack in your knot. Of course this will change bend radius, dressing, possibly strength, but if your not near the max load, it shouldn't be a problem.

I use something similar to the butterfly but I'd have to show you how it done, it can be untied easily and has one loop and just call it the three ring knot.

Dam. just look at all the rep you got now. Hell, you are steeped in it. But no pics? Well smelling is one thing; can we see?

Main job has been logging out a guy's back lot...by hand, no Dingo and no big truck. Getting lots of felling and bucking experience. Setting lots of bull ropes using the Big Shot, spikes, and even ascenders. Many come-along pulls too. Not a glamourous job, not many pictures, but it's giving some sort of experience anyway.

Have several other jobs lined up including a few rigging-down jobs which I have zero experience doing. One job is completely over my head, in fact I think it's probably a crane job, that's the one I wanted you to look at TMD.

I am getting a lot better on the spikes believe it or not!

Consider this alternative

Say I want to install a 5/8" block on a bull rope using a bowline-on-a-bight. Only one of the two loops formed will fit into the attachment pin pulley. Is it acceptable to do this? Otherwise, what's a recommended knot for this application that will actually come out after she's loaded to several thousand pounds? This is a snatch block w/ come-along application by the way.

"The Water Bowline is a very secure loop that won't jam ..."

WATER BOWLINE link ... WATER BOWLINE video

waterbowline.gif
waterbowline2.gif
149px-Waterbowline.jpg

"Although similar in finished appearance to the double bowline, the water bowline is formed with a clove hitch as the loop in the standing part of the rope. This is similar to the double bowline, which puts the running end through a doubled loop. The additional friction from the clove hitch increases the security of this knot."

Thanks Jack but I need a mid-line knot, not a terminating knot.

I didn't see "mid-line" in the OP ... guess I should have assumed ...

so, have you ever tried a Figure 9? ... it's a fairly good single mid-line loop as long as you don't pull the ends apart ... TheTreeSpyder got me interested in it a long time ago ... pulled down a large leaner with a tractor a week ago ... 1/2" TreeMaster looped around the stem with F9 on each end linked to the tractor, in the rain - very wet ... it was a chore but it could be untied without tools ... worth considering

BTW ... after being unsuccessful with a 4T come-along and block ... it came down with the tractor!

Last edited:
I use something similar to the butterfly but I'd have to show you how it done, it can be untied easily and has one loop and just call it the three ring knot.

I beleave I use the same Knot when using a rope for a 3-1 to pull down trees.
We always called it a 3 ring bowline, knot sure what its real name is.

I beleave I use the same Knot when using a rope for a 3-1 to pull down trees.
We always called it a 3 ring bowline, knot sure what its real name is.

This "3 ring knot (bowline)" sounds interesting. I only found one reference to it which claimed it WAS, so they say, the Butterfly (aka Lineman's Loop, aka Alpine Butterfly ... )

Could this possibly be what you're referring to???

Butterfly Knot
ButterflyKnot.jpg

This "3 ring knot (bowline)" sounds interesting. I only found one reference to it which claimed it WAS, so they say, the Butterfly (aka Lineman's Loop, aka Alpine Butterfly ... )

Could this possibly be what you're referring to???

Butterfly Knot
ButterflyKnot.jpg
the knot I use you start with the 3 rings in your hand as you would with the butterfly but then use a braiding motion with the three loops and pull the third loop threw and that is the standing loop and you pull the two tails (one would be tied off to a tree or what ever) and cinch it all up then you have a mid-line loop that you can use for a block and the tail that your would go threw another block on an anchor point and back threw the block on the loop to get a mechanical advantage, I only use this for pulling spars and whole trees over and nothing else....

if my card reader was working I'd make a video to show what I'm talking about..

Did all that make sense....

I can tie a butterfly with my eyes closed but again, it's REAL hard to undo once she's been loaded with a few thousand pounds, I mean nearly impossible.

I can tie a butterfly with my eyes closed but again, it's REAL hard to undo once she's been loaded with a few thousand pounds, I mean nearly impossible.

Favorite mid-line loops (in order): F9, BOAB, Butterfly

Here's a thought ... you might want to have one of these ... they're really handy in this work:

Group%20New72.jpg

The pliers for shackles & links ... the marlin spike will untie anything ... the knife when it won't (lol)

$35 from myerchin.com

Last edited:
Back