Box Elder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you ever noticed or not but roundup does not have a warning label on it. I talked to a farmer friend of mine who told me that you could actualy consume round-up without having any serious side effects. (obviously not advisable) He explained to me that the active substance in round up is said to block a chemical reaction in the plant needed to survive, the chemical it blocks is only found in plants, not humans or animals thats why it is safe.

Let's not forget, they were telling everyone how safe DDT was back in the 50's.

Let's not forget, they were telling everyone how safe DDT was back in the 50's.

Do you know how many lives were SAVED because of DDT, MILLIONS.......no lie. Look it up. Here is a quote.....

“To only a few chemicals does man owe as great a debt as to DDT. It is estimated that, in little more than two decades DDT has prevented 500 million human deaths, due to malaria, that would otherwise have been inevitable.”

There has never been a PROVEN case , just hearsay, about the effects of DDT. Not to be a "Conspiracy Theorist" just do a little research.

A little bit like my home state for trying to ban lead slugs for shotgun hunting deer, because, the effects of lead poisoning among Eagles and Hawks has been on the rise. Total and utterly BS.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.

Do you know how many lives were SAVED because of DDT, MILLIONS.......no lie. Look it up. Here is a quote.....

“To only a few chemicals does man owe as great a debt as to DDT. It is estimated that, in little more than two decades DDT has prevented 500 million human deaths, due to malaria, that would otherwise have been inevitable.”

There has never been a PROVEN case , just hearsay, about the effects of DDT. Not to be a "Conspiracy Theorist" just do a little research.

A little bit like my home state for trying to ban lead slugs for shotgun hunting deer, because, the effects of lead poisoning among Eagles and Hawks has been on the rise. Total and utterly BS.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.

Valid point but, that number is a prediction and may not reflect reality.
That statistic is based on percentages of a population group. One can never guaranty or predict how a population group will contract or respond to that disease. The same goes with how many will have a reaction to a chemical.

oh, and I like thumbing my nose, at elitist stove snobs......the ones that believe, if you don't own a 3000.00 stove,, you dont know what your doing,, and aren't a proper wood burner..........and haven't reached the epitomy of stove importance...and so your opinions aren't valid......apparently, they have a gold certificate of importance. .:dizzy::dizzy::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: also, tho I don't burn BE, I have no need, as have gotten many other hardwoods from those taking hardwoods down,,that didn't want them. why burn it??

the reason i took down so many BE trees was for wildlife enhancement..
there was basically zero undergrowth as to a shaded canopy so i bought a Husky 455 and went to town.
was once a 40 acre open park has now become a thick jungle.
i dont know how many

big ones i cut but its a PILE!.
lots are still off the ground.

still have many 100's of BIG Ash/Oak standing..

i also took down about 40 Huge burr oak and maybe 40 Huge Ash trees to open up the canopy.
had no use for them at the time so i told a friend he could have them. he spent many days cutting/hauling them out.
hes probably still heating his house with them

For populations you can only do general (not individual) assumptions. Usually the term LD50 (means lethal dose for 50% of a population). Measured in mg of product per kg of body weight. The LOWER the number the more toxic the product. DDT LD50 is not that toxic, it's problem was it's persistence in the environment. Basically it lasted a long time. Good thing for controlling insects, bad for the environment. Side effect was the build up through the food chain. With eagles higher on the food chain they had more DDT in their systems and it caused thinning of the egg shells so less reproduction.
Some common LD50s:
DDT 87
Table salt 3
Roundup 4320
Venom of the Inland Taipan (Australian snake) .000025

I would have assumed box elder put out btu's close to what other fast growth maples out out.

I'm still burning what I produced after taking down the rest of the blow down from a storm last year.
For as light weight wood, such as box elder, it surprisingly puts out quite a bit of heat.
Burn time has been pretty good as well. I'm surprised at the performance of that box elder wood.

Pretty much right on. It's slightly lower that silver maple.
I used to stick my nose up at soft maple, I have been burning a lot of it the last few years. What it lacks in BTU it makes up for in ease of finding and handling. I like the bright flames it provides and it's easy to split.

I used to stick my nose up at soft maple, I have been burning a lot of it the last few years. What it lacks in BTU it makes up for in ease of finding and handling. I like the bright flames it provides and it's easy to split.
That and dripping wet silver maple will be dry enough to burn in 6 weeks. I honestly couldn't believe that one until I saw it myself!

Back