Box Elder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut it out of my yard and split it for kindling. I also usually put a truck rim over the stump and build an intense fire on top of it. Otherwise you get box exder bushes.
Won't cut it otherwise unless it is to rid my property of it.
Will BE grow off root suckers too? My buddy bought a house and there was a whole string of them against his neighbor's garage.

Will BE grow off root suckers too? My buddy bought a house and there was a whole string of them against his neighbor's garage.

I've never seen root suckers on BE but BE does put out billions and billions of seeds. The BE bug eats BE seeds and there are male and female BE trees.

I cleared a fence line, of probably 50 16 -20inch Box elders, and 2 years later the stumps had trees 15foot tall and 4- 5 inch diameter ,and a lot of them. I cut them again and have been spraying, but they are hard to kill.

A storm took down a 40 year old box elder in my yard last summer. I've been burning it all winter. Drys fast, very light in weight, rots and goes punky very quickly. Burns fairly quick and leaves a lot of ash. Kinda stinky but not too bad. If I had a fireplace instead of a wood heater I wouldn't want to burn it if I had better wood available. Splits very easy.

got some in the stove right now.
its burning fine but yes, a bit of odor from the smoke.
what del wants you to buy,, is a "elitist" stove,, so you can turn into a stove snob like him and others on this forum....actually, knowing how to use ANY stove properly, will pay off... esp with a few well placed tricks...but some never learn how to fire a stove properly................................

i'm new to burning wood so i'm sure there will be certain tricks to learn for sure

i'm new to burning wood so i'm sure there will be certain tricks to learn for sure
Obviously look for the high btu species but I'd recommend cutting and splitting anything you can get your hands on at first. You will quickly learn which woods you and your stove prefer. Also some wood varies by region so what some people scorn may be good stuff in your area.

I cleared a fence line, of probably 50 16 -20inch Box elders, and 2 years later the stumps had trees 15foot tall and 4- 5 inch diameter ,and a lot of them. I cut them again and have been spraying, but they are hard to kill.

For stuff that comes back I use strait roundup on a fresh cut. That usually stops it from coming back.
I just use a recycled spray bottle and spray the cut right after the saw runs threw it.
It's sometimes cheaper to use a herbicide then to have to re cut sucker growth the next year.
Seems to work pretty well.

For stuff that comes back I use strait roundup on a fresh cut. That usually stops it from coming back.
I just use a recycled spray bottle and spray the cut right after the saw runs threw it.
It's sometimes cheaper to use a herbicide then to have to re cut sucker growth the next year.
Seems to work pretty well.
Are their any groundwater warnings for Roundup?

Reason I ask is I have a ton of root suckers in my yard but we also have a spring well very close by. I'll happily keep mowing them if I need to.

Reason I ask is I have a ton of root suckers in my yard but we also have a spring well very close by. I'll happily keep mowing them if I need to.

I would hesitate using it in that situation. If you can mow them easily enough, Id just keep doing that.
It would depend if your using that water for anything.

Not sure if you ever noticed or not but roundup does not have a warning label on it. I talked to a farmer friend of mine who told me that you could actualy consume round-up without having any serious side effects. (obviously not advisable) He explained to me that the active substance in round up is said to block a chemical reaction in the plant needed to survive, the chemical it blocks is only found in plants, not humans or animals thats why it is safe.

Not sure if you ever noticed or not but roundup does not have a warning label on it. I talked to a farmer friend of mine who told me that you could actualy consume round-up without having any serious side effects. (obviously not advisable) He explained to me that the active substance in round up is said to block a chemical reaction in the plant needed to survive, the chemical it blocks is only found in plants, not humans or animals thats why it is safe.
The makers of round up claim it's as safe as table salt. But a certain amount of salt can kill you..not sure what the lethal dose would be. But I assure you it does have a warning label.

I have a bottle in the garage, there is no instructions on the bottle regarding contact with skin,eyes, exposure or accidental ingestion. That is what I was refering to. Don't get me started on food. Round-up is probably safer and contains less chemicals than a lot of things on the shelf at your local grocery store.

still got the stove going. keeping the house nice n warm so far

I know the feeling!

There is a certain satisfaction felt when thumbing one's nose at firewood snobs.

She just tossed in another piece of leyland cypress! :cheers:

P.S. Anything less than Brazilian Rosewood (Dalbergia nigra) is slumming it.

Latest posts

Back