Box store chainsaw - Makita / Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kdxken

kdxken

ArboristSite Member
Hello,

Long time Huskie user holding a home depot gift certificate. I presently run a 545 and both my back ups have recently given up the ghost (another 545 and a 346xp). Thinking of using the GC on either a CS-490 or CS-590 or possibly a Makita 6421. Never run anything but Husqvarna (mostly) or Stihl. Looking to not be disappointed if possible.

About use: I cut a lot of wood , 50-75 cords a year, mostly medium size stuff. I try and stay away from big stuff except in the fall when I'll take some big ash ( taxing with the small saws).

BTW. if anyone is interested in the 346xp and 545 cheap let me know. I'll throw them in a box and ship them off. I don't have time to be dickin' with rebuilds.

Thanks in advance...

Modifiedmark
About use: I cut a lot of wood , 50-75 cords a year, mostly medium size stuff. I try and stay away from big stuff except in the fall when I'll take some big ash ( taxing with the small saws).

This right here, is a even more reason to get the Makita. For the times that you get into the big wood, it has the ability to run up to a 28" bar.

Since you already have a small saw this makes sense. Put a 20" on the Makita for most use then have the bigger bar and chain for the times you need it.

jd548esco72

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
i recently got a makita 6100 , and i have to say it is an impressive saw-- gobs of power and uses very little fuel---

i have recently fitted it with a 24" and so far it seems to like the extra 4"---

i would like to have the 620P too--to compare it with-- i do have a MM-ed 590 and the 6100 seems quite a bit stronger than the 590 -- i suspect a stock 620P would have a hard time keeping up with a stock 6100. --

now a modded 620p with no base gasket and a re-tune --vs a stock 6100 ?? that would be all bets off--lol

Latest posts