Boxelder Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

means

Reaction score
We have a very large boxelder in our backyard. Last year mid-summer it started loosing its leaves. It started looking like fall. The trunk of the tree had little holes all over it. I was told it was some sort of boring beetle/worm, etc. I was told my tree was on a downward spiral and would probably die in 8-10 years even with treatment. I was told to get Lindane at my local co-op, follow the directions, and spray the trunk. This was to be followed by watering the tree for several weeks (we were also experiencing a drought at the time). I was also told to reapply every spring. Now the tree is in full bloom with wonderful shade. I applied the Lindane with the first sign of leaves. I applied the second treatment today. But before the second treatment small leaves started falling off, and is starting to look like fall again. I have started to water the tree. I say all of this in the hopes that someone out there can tell me what to do and how to keep its leaves for the summer and keep our wonderful shade tree. Is there hope for our boxelder?

It is susceptible to a wide range of diseases and insect pests: leaf spot diseases (anthracnose can be extreme in rainy weather); cankers, sapstreak and trunk decay; caterpillars (including forest tent caterpillar, green striped maple worms; boxelder bug; assorted leafhoppers, borers, mites, aphids and scales. Trunks can "weep" from internal decay for 15 years or more before the tree disintegrates in a storm.

seeds germinate well, creating a weed problem

weak wood breaks easily in storms

a short-lived tree

These are a few problems with your tree. At this point there doesnt sound like you can do much to save this tree. I think you have several of these problems with your tree. Especially the trunk "weep".
Hope this helps.
Darin

Latest posts

Back