Boxelder woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarrierChick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I am obviously new to this form, I recently purchased a home (July 2004) and discovered shortly after moving in that the 2 VERY large trees in the backyard which are providing excellent privacy from a massive 2 building apartment complex are boxelders/manitoba maples. Problem being that one of them is split from the first division to nearly the base and they are standing much taller than my house! I have made a few inquiries about removing the one that is split, and so far the lowest price I have gotten is $1200 cdn to remove it and the debris, that does not include having the stump ground down :( I don't have that much money to have it taken down but if I don't have it removed I am affraid that it will fall during a wind storm and crush either my and my neighbours backyards and decks or worse yet my dogs or my neighbours kids!

How much does this normally cost in CDN dollars for a removal? is it cheaper for me to get rid of the wood myself (my brother has a big flatbed truck I could use)? I wouldn't dare try to remove it myself as the tree is so large (and in all honesty, I'm afraid of heights!)

any advice would be appreciated on how to handle this, also since it was apparently planted for privacy, what would be a suitable species to replant that isn't such a weed?!

I have just taken a few pictures of the actual split and the whole tree if it helps :)

The chain link fenced in dog run, is going to be fixed up as a vegetable garden when weather permits, we also have much work to do on fixing our lawn! Our 2 boxers are killing it!

Thanks again!

The tree looks like it could be cabled. That would be cheaper than removal and get you some more years out of it.
A second possibility is to try and make the removal easier by taking a section of fence down. That might make a spot where the tree could be dropped in one piece into the back area (towards the apartment building). If that's accessable with a truck and chipper, that would make this a much cheaper job, at least from the looks of it in the pictures.

Cabling, trimming usually always cheaper than complete removal, of course it does not guarantee absolute safety of the property around the tree but it looks like a viable option in this situation. As for removal prices, in my area debris removal is usually priced at 1/2 the job. Not sure how much a free firewood sign and a rental chipper or a few trips to the local landfill would cost in your area. Hire a pro to take it down and clean up the mess yourself should save some $$$. Removing the fence would definitely help the price. Good luck

Mike and Dada ar eright. That tree's location gives it great value (it would to me anyway). Contact a local arborist and get a cable in there.

Good ol' acer negundo. Love those trees. Looks like that crack might fill up with water and cause more damage to the tree. I agree with the latter. Go cableing.

Thanks for the replies I will enquire about the difference for me to remove the debris myself. I am more concerned that the tree will come down in a wind storm onto my neighbours yard and hurt one of their kids, so I think at this point removal is the best option and replant with something more suitable, any suggestions on what to replace with?

Thanks again,
Farrier Chick :angel:

FarrierChick-I love your attitude, I always advocate cutting down safety compromised trees that could kill or injure people. Some people on this site, including people who have told you to cable the tree, constantly put trees before peoples safety. Get some one qualified to cut it down, talk to a tree nursery about a new tree.

FarrierChick said:
I am more concerned that the tree will come down in a wind storm onto my neighbours yard and hurt one of their kids

I'd be more concerned about one of their kids being out in a wind storm. :rolleyes:

FarrierChick said:
I think at this point removal is the best option
And you''re making this decision based on...what? I would let all four of my kids play around that tree if it was pruned and cabled (and I do like having them around). If you're ready to throw ~$1000 into this effort to clear your view of that lovely building, consider hiring a local arborist to come on site and give you some options.

Pruning and cabling are simple operations that may allow the tree to safely remain until your neighbor kids are off having kids of their own.

See www.treesaregood.com

clearance said:
I always advocate cutting down safety compromised trees that could kill or injure people. Some people on this site, including people who have told you to cable the tree, constantly put trees before peoples safety.

Because Clearance's background is in Right of Way (ROW) work, and ROW workers are like the lawn mowers of the tree industry, he has little or no understanding of tree care.
For example, a tree might have an imperfection, like a crack, and be made safer than it was before the crack, by the proper use of cable and/or judicous prunning. That's right, safer.
You can have a better tree now for a couple hundred dollars, than if you spent $1200 to remove it, $200 to grind the stump, $200 to remove the stump debris, $300 on a new tree, $300 to have it planted, and wait 30 years for it to reach the size of this tree.
Now not every tree is a good candidate for this type of work, and when it's not, I'm the first to say, it's gotta go, but without having a qualified arborist (not a ROW hack, working on the side) assess the tree, you won't know.
That's why I suggested it be considered, to possibly save you $2000 and 30 years of waiting.

Mike-again thanks for the compliments, the lady has the right idea about cutting it down. You don't have to grind the stump, cut it off flat and put flowers on it and save the arbitrary $400. Removing it will not cost you the kind of money Mike is trying to scare you with. You could take some advice and get the tree cabled by an arborist, although I doubt it would be for a couple of hundred dollars. And then what? you have garbage held together with wire rope. In the real world, cables have to be changed (logging machines, ski-lifts etc.) How will you know it is safe? What is going to happen years from now, like Treeseer says when the kids now are having kids? Cut it down, end of story, leave it-years of worry and doubt.

Remember, the more work you do, the less money a tree service will charge. If you opt to have it removed, clean up some or all the debris. Can you get a permit to burn the brush? Sometimes the city will chip the brush for you if drag it to the curb. Let your tax dollars work for you. If you cant burn, and the city doesnt offer chipping, I recommend having a service remove the tree and chip the brush. It is usually pretty easy for a homeowner to dispose of firewood, but brush is tough for a homeowner to dispose of. Also tell the tree service you will do all the raking. (most of us hate that part anyhow) and see if that saves you a few dollars.

But I can honestly say if it were my tree, I would give serious consideration to a cabling job instead. Mind you, nobody can answer this question with sincerity from a pic on the internet. You will have to get a few opinions from arborists/tree services in your area. Most companies will not charge you for quotes or a little advice. Do not hire the first service you talk to either. Call and talk with a few different people and you will soon have an educated decision to make.

clearance said:
Mike-again thanks for the compliments, the lady has the right idea about cutting it down. You don't have to grind the stump, cut it off flat and put flowers on it and save the arbitrary $400. Removing it will not cost you the kind of money Mike is trying to scare you with. You could take some advice and get the tree cabled by an arborist, although I doubt it would be for a couple of hundred dollars. And then what? you have garbage held together with wire rope. In the real world, cables have to be changed (logging machines, ski-lifts etc.) How will you know it is safe? What is going to happen years from now, like Treeseer says when the kids now are having kids? Cut it down, end of story, leave it-years of worry and doubt.

Yikes, :dizzy: what a scary outlook on tree work. I can only hope this homeowner gathers all the facts from someone who actually knows about tree care, and they give an educated evaluation on this tree.

Great words from topnotch!

get the tree cabled by an arborist, although I doubt it would be for a couple of hundred dollars.
** Right, it could be less. Maybe 2 bolts through the trunk would brace it instead.

And then what? you have garbage held together with wire rope. In the real world, cables have to be changed down.
** Sure--every 20-40 years. And living tree tissue is not garbage, except to an arborphobe.

Cut it, end of story, leave it-years of worry and doubt.
** There are much worse things in the world to worry about. Fearmongering is the cultivation of irrational worry about trees, which is also known as arborphobia or dendrophobia. Fearmongers try to scare you into giving up your money and your tree, and they leave you nothing but a stump. They are the snake oil salesmen of the 21st century.

Treeseer, more acurately named Treehugger is at the other end of the spectrum. I say when in doubt, take it out. He says value the tree like it is a priceless work of art and save it no matter what the posible risk to humans. Snake oil salesman sell a product that is worthless, whoever cuts down this menacing tree will be selling this lady finality and peace of mind. People like him want to work on the same trees again and again, charging the owner money every time. That is a good racket, get someone to pay repeatedly instead of just once. And it is not just about money, it is about safety, trees that are removed never hurt anyone.

Dadatwins said:
Yikes, :dizzy: what a scary outlook on tree work. I can only hope this homeowner gathers all the facts from someone who actually knows about tree care, and they give an educated evaluation on this tree.

I doubt this homeowner will. After rereading the initial post, it's plain to see that the homeowner has no interest in saving this "weed" (not my words), but rather wanted to find out if $1200 was a fair price for removal or if they were getting screwed.

[QUOTE from clearance] I say when in doubt, take it out. whoever cuts down this menacing tree will be selling this lady finality and peace of mind. it is not just about money, it is about safety :eek: , trees that are removed never hurt anyone.

** Tree owners, read those words carefully--catchphrases of the urban logger con man. ;) If your tree has a brown leaf, never fear--there on the horizon, in a pickup with a chainsaw, comes our Shining Knight to save the day. He will give you peace of mind, safety, finality, and you will never be hurt again. :angel:

The arborist will take less money and give you both peace of mind plus a safely standing tree. If you still decide to remove it, all the people behind all those windows in that gorgeous building will have an excellent view of you and your family. They'll be wat ching you, night and day. One of them may not be nice and he may see something that he likes. He may steal into your home unsuspected and take what he wants.

That's what may happen if you pay a hack to cut down your privacy.

Two can play that fearmongering game. :cool:

Some removals are necessary; I sentenced dozens to death today, and the clearance-type boys will take them out. The worst woes your boxelder has are arborphobia and fearmongering. As a farrier, do you tell horse owners that their hay-eating pets have to be put down if their hooves are split?

Newfie: I doubt this homeowner will. After rereading the initial post, it's plain to see that the homeowner has no interest in saving this "weed" (not my words), but rather wanted to find out if $1200 was a fair price for removal or if they were getting screwed.

I resent being made out to hate trees, I have been told by the arborists that have come to look at the tree that they are "weeds", that they grow too fast and are fairly weak, and no one has mentioned "Cabling" (unless a brace is similar or the same?) the tree, I have been told by all of them (and yes more than one!) that the most sensible option would either be cutting the tree back greatly, or removing the whole thing and starting fresh.

I have 2 of these giants in my back yard, one is split (from my view, quite badly) the other is overhanging onto the parking lot that my house backs onto, I am concerned that if either tree comes down during any wind (and I have heard it creeking a lot even in calm winds) that it will either damage someones car, someone going to their car, my dogs (who have free access to our yard) or onto my neighbours deck/house as they have a huge back window that the tree would hit.

I do not know what the going rate for tree removal is as this is my first house, and at 22 years old I am fairly new to all this homeowner stuff! I was honestly asking a question based on the information given by the local arborists and seeing if it was fair, as there are quite a few individuals out there who have no problem taking money from people who dont know any better. I thought that coming on here would be a smart decision to do some research, I have found that I feel under attack for attempting to verify and learn something new.

I appreciate the information from the posters who have not engaged in personal attacks at each other or myself, and I will look into cabling to see if it is a viable option. I just figured if I fell the one tree and had the other pruned that the other tree still gives some privacy until another tree can start to grow in.

Thank you for the information given

As a farrier, do you tell horse owners that their hay-eating pets have to be put down if their hooves are split?

I am not working as a farrier anymore, besides which it would depend on the severity of the split what my recommendation would be. If the crack was so bad and the horse had developed some serious joint fluid infections... then yes I would tell them that I think it is in the horses best interest.

I work now as an Agricultural assistant at a Vet Hospital, and if you want to play on the analogies then I could tell you of numerous things in animals that if they split/crack/tear, euthanasia is the only option - Rectal wall, intestines, abdomen, many bones in the legs (most infact), aorta.....

Please do not try to get philosophical on me, I deal with life and death in sometimes very horrible ways daily (I have seen horses come in with broken legs nearly torn from their bodies, cows that have broken legs and have managed to turn it around 360 degrees on the trailer to the point it is not fixable through surgery or any means, I have seen horses die of slow infections taking over their bodies because owner cant say goodbye, I have seen horses die of ruptured intestines/rectums/and hearts), and I have to watch the life drained from an animal IN FRONT OF ME DAILY as they are euthanized. If it is the animal/organism's best interest, then yes putting them down is the best option. A slow and painful death is wrong for any living thing to have to endure.

Latest posts

Back