Bradfrod pear trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dh1984

Hard worker
Reaction score
not to get anything started over this but i trimmed almost every treen out there that i can think of except for a bradford pear tree. but today i had this guy that call me today that has got 3 he wants trimmed up and i really don't know how to do them.

Do i trim them like other trees or do they have to have something special done to the different then a regular trees?

Any help would surly appreciated

The best option is "final cut pruning" or "ground level pruning" :)

But since most clients don't appreciate that:
*Initial pruning should start very early and happen often (nobody ever calls until the tree is ready to fall apart).
*First priority is to get rid of the badly crossing branches (but that may be acomplished by taking care of the items below, so don't think of each step in isolation from the others).
*One of the big problems (and there are many) with any of the callery pear varieties is that they tend to have very weak geometry (some more than others). So the next step is to focus on removing as many of the upright branches that you can get away with.
*Finally, there is frequently a bad crotch about 4' up that has 3-5 codominate leaders crowding each other out, so figure out if you can get away with removing all but one of those. If you don't it is almost a guaranteed point of failure in the future. Again, if you can get at it early it will look much better.

Otherwise, stick with "regular" pruning guidelines.

I trim them alot an 90% of time I do crown reductions on them. Do Not confuse crown reduction for topping because it's not the same thing. I also do cable jobs on them from time to time wether its a wire cable or arbor tape.

trim

The storms around here will trim the bradfords. Usually about 2-3 ft off the ground. The last big ice storm did top many. The row we removed to ground level. 14-8 inches across at ground. No stump grind. Sprouted back with record growth. Root system aready in place. Home owner trimmed back and left the best leaders. You wont kill these tree. Unless you use chemical. Take the height down or mother nature will the hard way.

i didn't take any pictures but i will before i start on them and then get some after pictures of what i done to them. i'll ask the owner how he wants them trimmed before i start at them.

i got a maple that K.U.B messed one side up on it and the owner wants it the same hight all the way round so i'll start on it first it should take about 1.5 hours on it and then i'll start on the bradfords. they aren't that high yet but this coming spring i bet they would have gone pretty good.

but i'll get some before and after pictures before i get to the bradford pears. then post them on here and maybe i'll get some pointers from you fellers on the way i trimed them and everything.

Poor branch angles, included bark, constant pruning needed, I see $ maker.:msp_thumbup:
Why are they so popular back east? #1 crappy street tree.

Poor branch angles, included bark, constant pruning needed, I see $ maker.:msp_thumbup:
Why are they so popular back east? #1 crappy street tree.

thats what i told him it's going to need constant pruning during spring and summer and he told that he will call me every 2 months to prune it back and stuff. but i'm going out this wensday and trim the maple and bradfords.

I find the best Bradford Pear prunes end when you decide to also take out the stump ....:hmm3grin2orange:, and then you can start over with a Cleveland or a Chanticleer ...... I watched them grow all over in nurseries 20 years ago and hated them and all the growers also knew what trash they were but they were hot , I mean they couldn't be dug fast enough .... And now look at least half of them have met the "PEAR Reaper" ....

Last edited:
I find the best Bradford Pear prunes end when you decide to also take out the stump ....:hmm3grin2orange:, and then you can start over with a Cleveland or a Chanticleer ...... I watched them grow all over in nurseries 20 years ago and hated them and all the growers also knew what trash they were but they were hot , I mean they couldn't be dug fast enough .... And now look at least half of them have met the "PEAR Reaper" ....

:laugh: well as long as he let them grow i know i'll have money waiting to be trimmed again :hmm3grin2orange:. when i he calls me tuesday night to come wnesday to trim them i know he will have the money waiting for me to collect it :laugh:

Latest posts

Back