bragging about your equipment then having it crap out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Man this happened twice in one week. So for the longest time I've been telling everybody at work how great the TimberWolf splitters are (I have a TW-P1). Thing's awesome, blah blah blah, can't be beat. Well today I find that it's leaking hydraulic oil from the valve body. Looks like it blew a seal or something in the end cap. Doh.

And I bought a Husky 576 XP, bragging about that, and it's leaking too.

A while back I was pumping up the Stihl saws big time too at work. And I was pumping up the local dealer and service department. A guy brings his 440 in to show me, he had just had it serviced at the local dealer. He's not a chainsaw guy like we are, he's just a guy with a chain saw. But I keep telling how good these saws are and how good the service tech is. So I start it up and it falls the #### apart. Some yahoo at the dealer didn't tighten the bar nuts. AND, they neglected to put the circlip on the drum. Oh yea and the muffler was lose, and one of the chasis bolts was missing.. So here I am saying yea dude these things are GREAT. Pull. Vrooom. Crash!

Doh doh doh!!!!

I am keeping quiet from now on. Let this be a lesson!

Plasmech.................................

Man this happened twice in one week. So for the longest time I've been telling everybody at work how great the TimberWolf splitters are (I have a TW-P1). Thing's awesome, blah blah blah, can't be beat. Well today I find that it's leaking hydraulic oil from the valve body. Looks like it blew a seal or something in the end cap. Doh.

And I bought a Husky 576 XP, bragging about that, and it's leaking too.

A while back I was pumping up the Stihl saws big time too at work. And I was pumping up the local dealer and service department. A guy brings his 440 in to show me, he had just had it serviced at the local dealer. He's not a chainsaw guy like we are, he's just a guy with a chain saw. But I keep telling how good these saws are and how good the service tech is. So I start it up and it falls the #### apart. Some yahoo at the dealer didn't tighten the bar nuts. AND, they neglected to put the circlip on the drum. Oh yea and the muffler was lose, and one of the chasis bolts was missing.. So here I am saying yea dude these things are GREAT. Pull. Vrooom. Crash!

Doh doh doh!!!!

I am keeping quiet from now on. Let this be a lesson!

stay the hell away from my equipment!

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Wow, reminds me of the time I was running my mouth about how fast my old cutlass was with a built 455, I backed out to burn rubber in front of my buddies and snapped the driveshaft in two!
Kept the front section hanging in my garage for years as a mute button reminder.

My father told me a story that took place back in the muscle car days. He a teenager working at a gas station and sees a brand new Pontiac GTO with a bunch of guys inside pull up along-side a group of girls on the sidewalk. Lght was red so the car was stopped. Guy's revving up his GTO like mad waiting for the light to turn green, trying to impress the girls. Light turns green, dude drops the clutch, and the freaking drive-shaft snapped at the rear differential or somehow came out. Now the driveshaft, which has a u-joint in it, is flopping around under the car. Rips the bottom of the car apart, parts flying all over the place, all kinda of smoke and crap. Needless to say, that was one seriously embarrassed dude with a seriously eff-ed up GTO.

My father told me a story that took place back in the muscle car days. He a teenager working at a gas station and sees a brand new Pontiac GTO with a bunch of guys inside pull up along-side a group of girls on the sidewalk. Lght was red so the car was stopped. Guy's revving up his GTO like mad waiting for the light to turn green, trying to impress the girls. Light turns green, dude drops the clutch, and the freaking drive-shaft snapped at the rear differential or somehow came out. Now the driveshaft, which has a u-joint in it, is flopping around under the car. Rips the bottom of the car apart, parts flying all over the place, all kinda of smoke and crap. Needless to say, that was one seriously embarrassed dude with a seriously eff-ed up GTO.

It does tear up the tunnel! And the ego! Makes me think of all the muscle cars I have owned over the years, only know where a few went.

Ive got all the stories of a broken down vehicle at the wrong time.

In a "previous" life (before I was in the "real world" paying for my own mistakes) I had a Jeep (I still have it, one of my projects) There was a carwash going on, it was for the church habitat for humanity trip, which my mother and sister were going on. So my father wrote a large check from his business for them to wash my jeep.

I decide that the jeep isnt dirty enough, and a few buddies and I decide to take it out in the woods to get it good and ready for them. Well long story short, I demolished the clutch in a mud pit, (Snapped the clutch plate in half, and tore the pressure plate apart, Ive got pics if people done believe me :bang:) Well I had to get it to the carwash because I had the check. I somehow drove it out of the woods, I somehow got it on the road and hammered on it. Got it in 5th gear, redlining, doing about 30 down the highway. Hazards on, one finger salute going to anyone honking at me.

I made it about 3 miles before I overheated the motor. Somehow, a tow truck was passing by, and stopped. He wanted to tow me up the hill to his shop, but I made him bring me a few towns over to wal mart for the car wash, then back to his shop.

Needless to say, that little trip cost a bit more than the carwash fee. Turns out, I turned my current girlfriend onto me at that carwash, this was around 3.5 years ago.

NO JOKE, the very next year, the same group of guys and I go back to the same carwash supporting my girlfriend this time. As karma will have it, pulling out of the carwash onto the main road, I decide to show off a bit, I light the tires up, as soon as I hit second gear I twisted the driveshaft in half. I knew exactly what it was by the sound of it slamming against my rear floorboards, just great.

Ive attached a few pics of the jeep, the driveshaft, and my rear end gears, which are a whole different story (Ive got quite the history with this jeep)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The driveshaft going is a sound that pains me, almost as much as a set of rear tires quote for a viper...at this point in my life I use my previous high car costs as reference to how little chainsaws and tools cost, it is a little fuzzy in the math department but makes it easier to justify things like new chains verses car stuff.

Wow, reminds me of the time I was running my mouth about how fast my old cutlass was with a built 455, I backed out to burn rubber in front of my buddies and snapped the driveshaft in two!
Kept the front section hanging in my garage for years as a mute button reminder.

I have had a somewhat simular situation with the firebird in my avatar.

Arrive at the race track apr 3:00 pm.
Get in on 2 open practices ,car feels really great.
Do 1 slight air pressure adjustment on RF tire and go out for the final practice
for the afternoon.
First 2 laps car is fantastic,feeling realyy pumped up ,and confident about
the nights competition .one lap later clutch stars to slip.
Can't have that with 8 lap heat race and 25 lap feature coming up.@#$%^&*()*&^%$#

Go back to pit and we make the call to skip drivers meeting,skip heat race,and change clutch and pressure plate,eventhough we did not have both parts with us,or back at the shop.

Get car up on stands,tear it apart,and speed 10 mi to parts store in town.
Get parts ,speed back to track,install while the rest of my class was in staging area for next race[cutting it close].
Drop car on ground,speed down pit road 2 times checking that the clutch was gripping properly.
Ahhh fixed,get to race,getting pumped up again.

Drive to staging area.Have5 minutes to spare.
Official in staging area gives us signal that the class on the track now are down to 2 laps to go.
All but one crew member up in grandstands ready to watch the race.
Cars from previous race exit track.
My class starts to enter the track,me waiting in the back[penalty for missing drivers meeting].
Car ahead of me starts to roll.I let out the clutch................

NOTHING

Driveshaft falls to pavement.
No bolts were installed in DS to rear end.

I was so disgusted at that point that I just wanted to jump out of the car and go for a long walk.
Couldn't though,as staging area has a slight grade,and there are no E brakes in stock cars.
Rest of crew come down to the car with their hands above head with the WTF? look on their faces.
Turns out it was my uncle that left the bolts out.
Couldn't really say anything to him as he had a lot of time and $$$$$ in the car as I did.
#### happens.

Last time we ever did a repair without a check list.

BTW
I have never figured out how the DS stayed in place during the trial run down pit road 2 times in reverse and apr 1/4 mile forward at FT

that doesn't surprise me.

Ive got all the stories of a broken down vehicle at the wrong time.

In a "previous" life (before I was in the "real world" paying for my own mistakes) I had a Jeep (I still have it, one of my projects) There was a carwash going on, it was for the church habitat for humanity trip, which my mother and sister were going on. So my father wrote a large check from his business for them to wash my jeep.

I decide that the jeep isnt dirty enough, and a few buddies and I decide to take it out in the woods to get it good and ready for them. Well long story short, I demolished the clutch in a mud pit, (Snapped the clutch plate in half, and tore the pressure plate apart, Ive got pics if people done believe me :bang:) Well I had to get it to the carwash because I had the check. I somehow drove it out of the woods, I somehow got it on the road and hammered on it. Got it in 5th gear, redlining, doing about 30 down the highway. Hazards on, one finger salute going to anyone honking at me.

I made it about 3 miles before I overheated the motor. Somehow, a tow truck was passing by, and stopped. He wanted to tow me up the hill to his shop, but I made him bring me a few towns over to wal mart for the car wash, then back to his shop.

Needless to say, that little trip cost a bit more than the carwash fee. Turns out, I turned my current girlfriend onto me at that carwash, this was around 3.5 years ago.

NO JOKE, the very next year, the same group of guys and I go back to the same carwash supporting my girlfriend this time. As karma will have it, pulling out of the carwash onto the main road, I decide to show off a bit, I light the tires up, as soon as I hit second gear I twisted the driveshaft in half. I knew exactly what it was by the sound of it slamming against my rear floorboards, just great.

Ive attached a few pics of the jeep, the driveshaft, and my rear end gears, which are a whole different story (Ive got quite the history with this jeep)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cheeps have the most rediculous drive shafts ever put on an off road vehicle.hence,why i drive a Toyota.

Iron & Oak Super H-D Commercial Firewood Splitter

I recommended this http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=4099+H5&catID=11194, My Splitter to a friend and folks on arboristsite many times, only to have the welds on the engine mounting platform fail. This platform is welded to the Hydraulic Reservoir witch now leaks.
I should say the Splitter was problem free 4 yrs, and is @ my welders getting repaired. peace

That's a lot of dough for a leaky splitter. Looks like a great splitter. A friend stopped by a job and asked me why I buy Husky ground saws. I told him in all the years I've been using them I never had a serious problem. The next week the coil went out in my 575. The following week the coil went out in my 390. Lifetime warranty on the coils but I had to pay the bench charge on each saw.

I was flying down the road in high gear in my father-in-laws 2.5 yard loader, blew a u-joint, the drive shaft beat the piss out of itself and the undercarriage. Without the driveshaft there are no brakes, dam that was a scary ride.

All my reliable equipment seems to fail me when I start to talk about replacing it with a new shinny piece of equipment.

Cheeps have the most rediculous drive shafts ever put on an off road vehicle.hence,why i drive a Toyota.

Family and friends love offroading, many many many times Jeep's are called in to pull out others that are stranded.

The only jeep cherokee (straight 6) had a longer pull in the truck pull this year than most of the v8's in its weight class at the berlin fair taking third.

I've seen some messed up stuff happen off road. Last year one of the guys on our trip broke his connecting rods when he hydro-locked his engine in a stream.

Got a great polaroid of my buddys ranger after it got hung on some railroad tracks...and clubbed by a freight train... It all started with him bragging about how much ground clearance the FX4 pkg had. Appearently skid plates and big tires are no match for trains.

i missed that.

Family and friends love offroading, many many many times Jeep's are called in to pull out others that are stranded.

The only jeep cherokee (straight 6) had a longer pull in the truck pull this year than most of the v8's in its weight class at the berlin fair taking third.

i can't count the Jeeps i have pulled out of the state forest and Portland fairgrounds with my 4 cylinder 4Runner.some are Jeeps i built!

Cherokees are good offroad as long as nothing breaks.my buddy can't get the back hatch open after we go wheeling.it looks nasty though.i put 9 inches of lift on it with a ford 8.8 rear axle.

i pulled a Cherokee out of the mud in Granby.no one would go in after him.you couldn't see him from the road.we ran a couple hundred feet of tow straps together and i pulled him out from the road.they were cold and miserable and i was laughing my a$$ off.jeeps don't bother me.i have made some good money fixing and pulling them.

glad i have a full frame.i will stick with toyota.

What Saw do you pack along for the adventures?

i can't count the Jeeps i have pulled out of the state forest and Portland fairgrounds with my 4 cylinder 4Runner.some are Jeeps i built!

Cherokees are good offroad as long as nothing breaks.my buddy can't get the back hatch open after we go wheeling.it looks nasty though.i put 9 inches of lift on it with a ford 8.8 rear axle.

i pulled a Cherokee out of the mud in Granby.no one would go in after him.you couldn't see him from the road.we ran a couple hundred feet of tow straps together and i pulled him out from the road.they were cold and miserable and i was laughing my a$$ off.jeeps don't bother me.i have made some good money fixing and pulling them.

glad i have a full frame.i will stick with toyota.

Funny how the Suv body style helps with weight distribution.
Ya the unibody cherokee......if they only had a frame :mad:, but they are easy to work on (most of the time, depending on the damage).

Toyota has made a great powerful 4 cylinder, and have seen some nice offroading setups.

The rust that never sleeps is the only concern, and that is for all make and models. Thats New England for you...

Enjoy the offroading adventures where ever they lead you.

yeah the rust sucks.

Funny how the Suv body style helps with weight distribution.
Ya the unibody cherokee......if they only had a frame :mad:, but they are easy to work on (most of the time, depending on the damage).

Toyota has made a great powerful 4 cylinder, and have seen some nice offroading setups.

The rust that never sleeps is the only concern, and that is for all make and models. Thats New England for you...

Enjoy the offroading adventures where ever they lead you.

you should see the 22R engines i build.nice increase in power.sure doesn't feel like a 4 banger.actually gearing for your tires makes a big difference.amazing how many people refuse to do this.

my 4runner is from Tennessee and i try not to drive it here in the winter.it's got a little rust starting on the rear fenders.i need to get on that.it should be all back together by spring.

i usually don't pack a saw off roading.if i did it would probably be the 346xp.

Last edited:
you should see the 22R engines i build.nice increase in power.sure doesn't feel like a 4 banger.actually gearing for your tires makes a big difference.amazing how many people refuse to do this.

my 4runner is from Tennessee and i try not to drive it here in the winter.it's got a little rust starting on the rear fenders.i need to get on that.it should be all back together by spring.

i usually don't pack a saw off roading.if i did it would probably be the 346xp.

Which engine do you like more, the 22R or the 22RE? Ever do a turbo on either?

Back