Brand new 460 Rancher barely runs. HELP????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi y'all. Been lurkin over a year. Love this site. You guys and gals rock!!!
Now here's my issue or should I say my brother's issue: he bought a new husky 460xt rancher from a big box store. (Wouldn't take my advise and buy from stealership) Filled it with oil and premix. Started 3rd pull. Seemed kinda boggey but told him a cold saw will do that till warm. Once warm still bogs while blippin throttle. Put it in wood and it dies. Slow trigger pull and it will rev most of the way but has no power. Fiddled with carb screws but it barely makes a difference. (learned how to tune a carb here thanks to you guys) but can't figure how to remove limiters. Seems like they are inside a metal housing connected to the carb. Thoughts and ideas????? And sorry no pics at this time. But it really did happen. I also did try searchin and i know this comes up weekly but my searching techniques suck.:msp_confused:

Box store & Husky, I rest my case.

Bet he paid at least $50 more at Lowes than I got 'em on the shelf for. :msp_sneaky:

Lowes had it listed for $499 but big bro had gift certs and store credit so out the door with a non useable saw for under $100. Looks nice but I think that low kick back chain looks silly. Maybe a good idea for the newbie. Can you even lower the rakers when it's time with em being all bent over?

Bounty Hunter: I think you're onto something here.... Soon it will be my turn to start huntin around for a new saw. I think it would be a good idea to start making my rounds at local and semi-local dealerships and feel them out again. Been a while. My darling wife already agreed to let me get whatever saw I want come tax return time. Yippie! I've got a sweet spot for the 550xp and 562xp. Tough decision I know!

Last edited:
Just remember if we don't support our dealers, they won't be around when we need them.
I have all Stihl saws and that's the only place you can buy new, but even if it wasn't, I'd buy from a dealer, even if it cost a little more.
My Stihl dealer is there for me 7 day's a week, if I have a problem he'll take care of it usually while I wait.

Lowes had it listed for $499 but big bro had gift certs and store credit so out the door with a non useable saw for under $100. Looks nice but I think that low kick back chain looks silly. Maybe a good idea for the newbie. Can you even lower the rakers when it's time with em being all bent over?

Bounty Hunter: I think you're onto something here.... Soon it will be my turn to start huntin around for a new saw. I think it would be a good idea to start making my rounds at local and semi-local dealerships and feel them out again. Been a while. My darling wife already agreed to let me get whatever saw I want come tax return time. Yippie! I've got a sweet spot for the 550xp and 562xp. Tough decision I know!

He should take that saw back, get a new one, drive immediately to the nearest husky dealer, slap some cash down on the counter, like at least a Jackson, and ask nicely if they will set it up for him before he runs it. anyone can understand taking advantage of gift certs, seems reasonable to me.

When my brother makes stupid decisions, especially after being told repeatedly the better choice would be to go or do " xyz" and he still makes the bone head move, I take a few steps back.

The old saying " you can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach it to drink " comes to mind.

You eventually learn from your mistakes, for some people that duration is a very, very long time.:bang:

When my brother makes stupid decisions, especially after being told repeatedly the better choice would be to go or do " xyz" and he still makes the bone head move, I take a few steps back.

The old saying " you can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach it to drink " comes to mind.

You eventually learn from your mistakes, for some people that duration is a very, very long time.:bang:

Whenever I try and give advise to my older brother, he seems to do the opposite almost to spite me or anyone dispensing advise for that matter.

Thought it ended with "can't make it drink" but it still applies.

I'll update when he decides what to do.

I've read soooo many threads about bad experiences with dealers, my thread actually brought to light the many positive experiences members have had and their support for good dealers. Bravo! Bravo!

Latest posts

Back