Brand New Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wireedm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just bought a new 22 ton splitter with the 5hp Honda from Northern Tool. I ended up paying $1299 for it plus 8 gallons of hydraulic oil. It also comes with the log supports on the beam, which seam very useful so far.

When I was younger dad and I had purchased a splitter from Northern and was very pleased with it, and actually ended up putting on a bigger engine and pump many years later. After dad quit burning wood when he turned about 80 several years back, he sold the splitter. Of course, now I'm starting to burn wood at my new (to us) place. Sure wish I still had that old splitter!

Anyway, other than being a BEAR for one person to handle the beam/hydraulic cylinder to put together, I consider it an amazing purchase. This is a HEAVY made splitter. By the way, just pull the beam/cylinder to the edge of your tailgate, tie a rope on the end of the splitter going to the back of the truck bed, and let it down nice and easy. Once you stand it on its end, it mounts right up to the frame in the vertical position. Very easy once you have a plan!

That little 5hp Honda engine is an amazing piece of machinery. It runs very smoothly, starts in two pulls, and seemingly has the power of any other brand's 8hp versions. If you open the gas cap while its running, you can see the gas flowing back into the tank from the overflow on the fuel pump. I'm amazed at the little extra features that this LITTLE engine has that the larger ones use as well.

I have put a couple 24" forks on the splitter and it went through them at half throttle. IMHO there is no need for any homeowner to need anything bigger! At 13 seconds, its cycle time is faster than the bigger models unless you go to a 22gpm pump and MUCH more hp to handle it. I have used bigger splitters that weren't any more effective than this beauty!

I split all of the wood I had in one afternoon. Now I'm hungry again for more!:cheers:

Last edited:
lol...nice new toys are always fun to play with.

saves the ol' back some pain...doesn't it?

Glad you like it, now, how fuel did you use, I know hondas are generally miserly, and a 5hp should sip it.

Glad you like it, now, how fuel did you use, I know hondas are generally miserly, and a 5hp should sip it.

Great question. I put about 3/4 in that little tank and after about an 1 1/2 hours at mid throttle it looks like its just below half a tank. I'm about as impressed with the engine itself as I am the whole splitter! lol

I split all of the wood I had in one afternoon. Now I'm hungry again for more!

Sounds like you got a good splitter, I like Northern also. I bet once your family and neighbors find out you got one, you will find some more wood to split :)

I purchased the identical splitter this past fall. I also, like the unit. I was wondering how everyone else who doesnt own a bobcat ( I have one) gets the I-beam assembly out of the back of a pick-up and mounted. My honda fired up on the first pull after the splitter was assembled. This thing is great on gas. The gas lasts alot longer than my back does. One thing to watch for my be the clear, return line, that runs back to the tank. The excess slack in the line which enables it to go vertical, once shifted over and rubbed on the tire as I was hauling it. It didnt wear a hole completely in the line, but about 1/2 way through. I really like how balanced it is to move around by hand, and I agree its built heavy duty. If someone ever wanted to upgrade to larger components, it would be no trouble. Hope the unit last you many trouble free years.

Honda small engines are simply the best out there. My company's generators are all Honda powered, and the beating they take is brutal but they always start on 1-2 pulls and runn almost all work day on a tank of fuel.

Honda small engines are simply the best out there.

Wisconsin Engines are great too, I have several engines 20-50 years old and they still run like a clock and they are hand start, they don't look pretty anymore and have also been used an abused but they can take being run hard and put away wet, ain't as fuel efficient, but at least i can work on them with ease if need be.

Last edited:
Back