Brand new Stihl MS441 oiling problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toberwine

Reaction score
On my brand new MS441, acquired off e-bay, there is not enough chain oil getting onto the bar (25"). When I first tried it the chain appeared dry after cutting, and the first tank of petrol ran out while the oil was only about half empty - I have therefore not used the saw since. I have never run a saw with a bar as long as this before (previously 036 with 20" bar was stolen grrr). Having today stripped down the saw (much more than necessary in my quest to figure out how the oiler worked) everything appeared to be in working order. On testing the saw without bar to check to see if oil was coming out of the groove in the head unit which lines up with the hole in the bar, there was oil "welling" up. On fitting the bar and chain and running the saw I could see oil being flung off the nose onto my test log. But when cutting the bottom of the bar was too dry, and only a little oil in the top groove. Could this be an oil quality issue? I remember oil I have used in the past was REALLY clingy - not just viscous, but coming in strands. The "generic" oil I am using is fine for my small MS240 with 14" bar but maybe isn't good enough for the longer bar? I am also cutting hard beech and using the full length of the bar. The oil pump flow adjuster is turned right up, although the position of the screw doesn't seem to align with the full range of the marks on the underside of the saw showing "-" to "+". I am reluctant to take the saw to my usual dealer as I didn't buy it from him and I am unsure if I can register it for a warranty.... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sounds like it is working normally. I typically use 1/2-3/4 of the oil per tank of fuel.

The Ematic system is stingy.

With the oiler all the way up, I'm using right around 3/4" of a tank to every tank of fuel. I do use Stihl organge bottle B/C oil in this saw. I run the cheaper stuff in my smaller saws.

Sounds like something Lake will need to answer, but my 2 cents while you wait for him is that you've described the same thing we talk about as it relates to the MS 361 oiler. Nobody thinks it oils enough but the B&C does not seem to get hot or wear excessively.

Follow up

Thanks for the reassuring advice so far guys - and such a quick response! I think I should use the better quality oil as suggested. If anyone else sees fit to comment, feel free - the more the merrier.

With the oiler all the way up, I'm using right around 3/4" of a tank to every tank of fuel. I do use Stihl organge bottle B/C oil in this saw. I run the cheaper stuff in my smaller saws.

Thanks for rep me.

Sorry, have given out to much rep the last 24 hours, but you are on my list!!!

:greenchainsaw: :heart: :cheers:

toberwine,

The new breed of Stihl saws do have oilers that don't put out as much than their predecessors. I don't have a 441... but have a 361, and with the oiler turned all the way up, I only use about 3/4 tank of oil per tank of fuel.

I do believe (Lakeside can correct me I'm sure) there are "West Coast" versions of the saw that have higher output oilers, full wrap handlebars, bigger dogs, and larger clutch covers. Since these saws see the big Timber of the West Coast USA... they normally see very long bars... so the oilers pump more.

So there should be a higher output oiler available.

But I could be wrong... kinda goin' out on alimb here... Where's Andy when ya need him. :)

Gary

Sounds like it is working normally. I typically use 1/2-3/4 of the oil per tank of fuel.

The Ematic system is stingy.
Yup, it sounds normal to me, ms270 was using about -3/4 oiltank to 1 gas, now with canola it is slightly more but its not slopping off the bar as an older saw would.

:cheers:

Serge

toberwine,

The new breed of Stihl saws do have oilers that don't put out as much than their predecessors. I don't have a 441... but have a 361, and with the oiler turned all the way up, I only use about 3/4 tank of oil per tank of fuel.

I do believe (Lakeside can correct me I'm sure) there are "West Coast" versions of the saw that have higher output oilers, full wrap handlebars, bigger dogs, and larger clutch covers. Since these saws see the big Timber of the West Coast USA... they normally see very long bars... so the oilers pump more.

So there should be a higher output oiler available.

But I could be wrong... kinda goin' out on alimb here... Where's Andy when ya need him. :)

Gary

I'm sure there is a thread on this... ;) but....

Is there a chance the current stingy 441 oiler be okay with a 32" bar running skip?

If you think your poor quality oil may be the problem then just flush the oil tank with saw mix and fill it with quality oil and give it a go. Maybe you will answer your own question and you could post the reults here. That would help us all make more informed decisions. I use Stihl BioPlus in all my saws and am very happy with it.

Some wood seems to suck oil off the chain, esp dead woods. If the chain is throwing oil and all appears well then try the saw in something other than beech and see what happens. Good luck.

I am running a 28" bar on my 441 with no problems!!!

I believe you, the E-matic system oils well, even though it looks like it doesn't, as the oil gets were it counts, and not in the air and dripping off the bar.
It makes the bars become "sappy" down the sides more often than on other saws though, some times......:givebeer: :)

Using veggie bar oil (not just any cheap veg-oil) improves the situation further.

Last edited:
Thanks again

Thanks to 2dogs and sawtroll in particular for your posts. 2dogs you are right as the beech IS dead - and hard! I will try it in something else, although I would have thought running the saw in the air should see more oil on the chain than I am getting. I think what caused most anxiety at the start was what seemed to be NO oil - I did get smoke / overheating of the chain until I stopped, but I was cutting 3/4 inch ply up as firewood and the dust was VERY dry so I guess that would "suck" the oil off as suggested. All the more reason to use the best quality oil, I guess. I have used Stihl Bioplus in the past but this seemed runnier than what I was used to and I've always felt chain oil should be sticky to ensure it clings to the chain. As it is, removing the oil pump and blowing through the oilways may have cleared an un-noticed blockage so my anxiety at "not enough oil" may be misplaced and based on the earlier "no oil" scenario. At least I am getting oil thrown off the nose when I rev the saw up now - I think this may not have been the case at the start (a few weeks ago now so my memory is fading...) and I had been running the saw optimistically in the hope that the oil would suddenly appear. Sorry to ramble - you guys have given me the confidence to use the saw now so I will :)

Also temp. can affect how much oil your getting. If it's below 50 degrees, you oil will thicken up a lot, and thick won't flow well. Stihl makes thinner winter variety bar oil that might help out.

Also temp. can affect how much oil your getting. If it's below 50 degrees, you oil will thicken up a lot, and thick won't flow well. Stihl makes thinner winter variety bar oil that might help out.

OMG! It's time for the annual winter bar oil thread. :)

Welcome to AS, BloodOnTheIce!

If you warm up your saw, (debated thread on here), the crankcase heat will warm the oil as it is part of the case, and it will flow as normal. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back