brand new Stihl oil flippy cap problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet all the back roads in hell are graveled with flippy caps instead of crushed rock.

the local logging boys call the flippy flappy caps "Michael jacksons" ...there black and white ,made of plastic and totally childish. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Here goes my rep...

But...

I kinda like the flippys now... :msp_ohmy:

They work fine on the 441, go on and come off easily, don't leak and seem easily to grasp with gloves on, though the flap detent could be a little deeper to make it easier to flip up with gloves on. Do have to be sure to clean them off, and as said, don't fill up the tanks too full.

That being said, I had a terrible time with the oil cap on a 250 before. Took me at least 5 minutes and a few choice words to get it to seat properly, I was seriously about ready to give up. Said that was the dumbest thing ever, and longed for the simple twist cap on my FS-250.

Will say the way the cap keepers attach to the tank is not the best in the world, as they kept coming out of the little slot on my 362.

Speaking of though, the FS-250 has probably one of the best style of caps going, a humped ridge that is easy to grasp, seals great, and have never had any problems with it.

Course it sticks out a little further than the flippy does too.

Flippy caps are the spawn of the devil.:angry::bang:

That was on of the reasons for choosing the 346 XP over the 261. That and the Stihl saleshole kept trying to sell me a MS290 over the 261 because, "I didn't need it".:laugh:

the local logging boys call the flippy flappy caps "Michael jacksons" ...there black and white ,made of plastic and totally childish. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, that's a good one. One could also add that they are totally fubar and die young... and they are only loved by a special kinda yuppie folk. :)

Last edited:
Flippy caps indeed....i'd rather use wine bottle corks. After consumption of said wine.
Let's see.....oil + gas....oh yeah....two bottles of vino.:dizzy:

No cap recall on chainsaws. Yes we are going to torture them people as long a we can,LOLOLOLOL

Hmmm, that's odd that they are willing to replace the other caps but not the ones on the saws. I have a KM110R kombi-motor and my flippy cap was terrible. After fussing with it for 10 mimnutes one day I just thought I must have gotten up on the stupid side of the bed that morning. Then I remembered I got something from Stihl in the mail and sure enough it was this recall. Got a new cap for free and so far it's working ok but I still don't really like it that much.

At least it's not like my dad's Poulan Pro saw that has the famous Poulan swelling gas caps that won't come out without a monkey wrench, literally. He has to have three of them to rotate so he can dry them out and let the swelling go down.

Haha, too funny ya say.....you gotsssa pay....grrrrrr.

Fact is however that one Stihl owner out of two has problems with them sucker caps....that's not something to brag about in Stihl camp...:msp_thumbdn:

Being an ancient Stihl head, it hurts my soul to see that Stihl doesn't listen to the complaints. That also explains why them germans lost WWII I guess....:hmm3grin2orange:

Whatcha talkin bout ya onery sucker. For your info I have brianwashed, oppppps, I mean I have tutored well over 3000 people on the fine art of using those awesome flip caps. After my tutoring rarely do any of my victims, oppps, I mean customers, have any issues with those caps. I do not beleive just because I toldem all if ya come back hollering about those dayummm caps, opppppps, I mean those awesome caps, I'll come cut the tires on ya car and maybe even slap ya granny. Nope I don't think that has anything to do with it my victims, oppps, I mean my customers not having any problems with those f-ing caps, oppps, I mean state of the art closure devises,:D:D:D

Last edited:
I give Stihl a lot of **** and it's all in good fun. The flip caps weren't necessarily a needed "upgrade" but there really is way too much whining about them.

Watch 0:53 - 1:40. :)

[video=youtube;aVvVi47W7YM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVvVi47W7YM[/video]

Dayummmmmmmmmm them caps, sorry you had to struggle with them, it took ya 3 milliseconds to getem on,hehe

The caps on my dads saw gave him trouble, he took it back to dealer and got caps that work well. I think they recalled some.

The flip caps weren't necessarily a needed "upgrade" but there really is way too much whining about them.

It isn't whining when they don't work as advertised. In my case, the 361 was flawless and both an MS200 and MS200T oil cap sometimes well...

If Stihl is allowing for replacements then they know there are issues.

I give Stihl a lot of **** and it's all in good fun. The flip caps weren't necessarily a needed "upgrade" but there really is way too much whining about them.

Watch 0:53 - 1:40. :)

[video=youtube;aVvVi47W7YM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVvVi47W7YM[/video]

My Gawd.....Now I know it's not just me.....someone else has a terrible time with those cursed flippy caps.....I just can not believe he made a video about how terrible it is to take those caps on and off.
Something has got to be done.....we need to storm the Stihl castle and protest...... oh wait.... how long was it about 3 seconds or less per cap......hmmmmm......

Great saw by the way. :yoyo:

Latest posts

Back