brand new Stihl oil flippy cap problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that if you got your hands on a good batch of caps, you can`t understand why it is so hard and a pain in the "donkey" but if the caps are just crappy, then ... oh well frankly you deserve it for getting a Stihl I guess. It is funny to put a cap that works in 3 seconds but it is way less funnier when you put one, you check it and it is rock solid and then in one minute is off again... I may be an idiot but if there are more than 50% with the problem,then we are the normal on this one.

You know how every now and then there is a bloke that sells the game for a buck or two? Maybe Stihl got stiffed by the cap guy.
somewhat related:
I have had in my life about 4 computers and two laptops, all new and so it happened that the AMD processor of my third computer was just working bad with the rest of the system. never gonna get an AMD again. Sorry, it may sound and even may be stupid, but why take chances? Last week I bought my latest one, from Futureshop.ca. Not even the extra 2Gb RAM and the 1 Gb video memory for the same price could make me go for an AMD.

One more question for the smart ones that instead of giving help, they mock: have the wolf ever took one of your sheep ? if not, laugh away convinced that the wolf never does that.

It is funny to put a cap that works in 3 seconds but it is way less funnier when you put one, you check it and it is rock solid and then in one minute is off again... I may be an idiot but if there are more than 50% with the problem,then we are the normal on this one.

It's not the wannabee sawyers with the spanking brand new 460 who are in the knowing....they'll change their mind once their get their leg oiled, but probably will be ashamed to admit it happened to them....:hmm3grin2orange:

It's not the wannabee sawyers with the spanking brand new 460 who are in the knowing....they'll change their mind once their get their leg oiled, but probably will be ashamed to admit it happened to them....:hmm3grin2orange:

If/when that happens, I'll pull the iPhone out and take a vid of the after affects and you'll hear me admit it, no doubt about that! You'll hear a new kind of hostility towards them I'm sure. ;) :D

I guess that if you got your hands on a good batch of caps, you can`t understand why it is so hard and a pain in the "donkey" but if the caps are just crappy, then ... oh well frankly you deserve it for getting a Stihl I guess. It is funny to put a cap that works in 3 seconds but it is way less funnier when you put one, you check it and it is rock solid and then in one minute is off again... I may be an idiot but if there are more than 50% with the problem,then we are the normal on this one.

You know how every now and then there is a bloke that sells the game for a buck or two? Maybe Stihl got stiffed by the cap guy.
somewhat related:
I have had in my life about 4 computers and two laptops, all new and so it happened that the AMD processor of my third computer was just working bad with the rest of the system. never gonna get an AMD again. Sorry, it may sound and even may be stupid, but why take chances? Last week I bought my latest one, from Futureshop.ca. Not even the extra 2Gb RAM and the 1 Gb video memory for the same price could make me go for an AMD.

One more question for the smart ones that instead of giving help, they mock: have the wolf ever took one of your sheep ? if not, laugh away convinced that the wolf never does that.

My son and son-in-law help me all the time with cutting wood. I did have to show them once how to use the fippy cap, but I guarantee that in the 10 cord of wood they cut, split and stacked for my wife to use for winter, they never got a drop or oil or fuel on their leg nor have they ever.
My son-in-law never touched a chain saw until he started to date my daughter 8 years ago, and my son never had any interest in running a chain saw until the past couple of years.
Has the fippy cap had problems, yep that is why Stihl recalled them on everything except for the saws, but it was not for falling off it was because they got too hard to remove.
It is your choice not to have Stihl, but there is a reason they are the number one selling saw in Europe and the United States, they are the best. :hmm3grin2orange:

it is funny though, how something designed to make life easier, ends up giving more headache than ease... kinda like my marriage :D

as far "the best saws" concern...oh well, Stihl may have been #1 (not sure though) eons ago but I really think they are loosing it. kinda like Mercedes when they first produced the A Classe that kept capsizing. Fortunately Mercs have eliminated the problem;

In the vid with the new 460, the guy is fumbling with the fuel cap, my fuel cap goes on like greased lightning in comparison. When I got my MS 381 I took it straight from the stihl shop 2 hours into the mountains. Fueled it up, cap on, awesome. Oiled it up, cap, f-ing bulls#@t. After 10 minutes of f-ing about (stihls ARE the best so WTF???) I looked at my fiskars and considered cutting the oil tank off and rigging up a plastic milk bottle in its place with a bit of tubing. After 200 odd refulls the oil cap is still not ideal, but is far better than when first bought.

Mine needs to be pushed down hard, tightened, and then reversed under pressure a half turn, then tightened again. Then it is reliable. I've only had a flippy unflip (but not undo) once, when scrambling through shrubbery that was as thick as the hair on a cats back. When I get my 660 I will check the caps in the shop b4 I leave with it. Stihls rep has definitely taken a hit from the flippy. When bucking OS logs I use a mates 084 with the old screw caps, and they are much more predictable and reliable.

In the vid with the new 460, the guy is fumbling with the fuel cap, my fuel cap goes on like greased lightning in comparison. When I got my MS 381 I took it straight from the stihl shop 2 hours into the mountains. Fueled it up, cap on, awesome. Oiled it up, cap, f-ing bulls#@t. After 10 minutes of f-ing about (stihls ARE the best so WTF???) I looked at my fiskars and considered cutting the oil tank off and rigging up a plastic milk bottle in its place with a bit of tubing. After 200 odd refulls the oil cap is still not ideal, but is far better than when first bought.

Mine needs to be pushed down hard, tightened, and then reversed under pressure a half turn, then tightened again. Then it is reliable. I've only had a flippy unflip (but not undo) once, when scrambling through shrubbery that was as thick as the hair on a cats back. When I get my 660 I will check the caps in the shop b4 I leave with it. Stihls rep has definitely taken a hit from the flippy. When bucking OS logs I use a mates 084 with the old screw caps, and they are much more predictable and reliable.

I had the shrubbery incident happen and also caught it before there was a spill. I guess flippy caps are OK if you are cutting logs up in a driveway or pasture. Stay out of the brush/shrubbery though.

I overheard a phone coversation with a saw mechanic on it. Wish I had it for this thread. He was going through the pitfalls of the flippy cap.

Sorry, but every time I hear Shrubbery, or Nii, my brain goes to this.

[video=youtube_share;2UbtcmjfKa8]http://youtu.be/2UbtcmjfKa8[/video]

Hell yes I am a Yankee why would you say I am not????? :smile2:

Man what are you doing, I told ya not to tell anyone your a dayumm ole carpetbagger yankee, do you realize them rednecks will try to spit baccy juice on ya now, man you don't listen to a word I say, grrr, wait, that may be a good thing, proceed on,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Man what are you doing, I told ya not to tell anyone your a dayumm ole carpetbagger yankee, do you realize them rednecks will try to spit baccy juice on ya now, man you don't listen to a word I say, grrr, wait, that may be a good thing, proceed on,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

WHAT.....why you Hillbilly.... wait no.... a Hillbilly is a Michigan Farmer.....

Hmmm I will just have to think of something

I know.. I will wing a dreaded flippy cap at you..... then you will get the fippy cap disease :biggrin:

WHAT.....why you Hillbilly.... wait no.... a Hillbilly is a Michigan Farmer.....

Hmmm I will just have to think of something

I know.. I will wing a dreaded flippy cap at you..... then you will get the fippy cap disease :biggrin:

Hillbilly, you calling me a hillbilly, why uhhhhhhhh, well ok, I can deal with that,LOLOLOLOL

Had a 261 come in yesterday morning, older guy I had sold it to. He goes love this saw but I'm having a bit of a problem with the oil cap. I go whats it doing. He goes I can't seem to get it closed
at times. I layed the saw on its side and took off the cap and put it back on over and over at least 15 times. He goes how are you doing that. I go its called putting the cap on, he laffed. I said it goes on just like the gas cap. So he tried it and he did it 7-8 times in a roll. I go so whats the
problem with that cap, he goes I guess there isn't any problem after all, he laffed and said see ya later, my kinda customer...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back