Brand/Type Saddles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have a buckingham pinnacle with larger d rings than shown in the sherrill catalog. i love the saddle it is so comfy compared to my weaver(i think i gave it way not sure where it ended up) the hard seat makes hanging from a rope real comfy. the wide back support is also nice. my next saddle i think i'll order from sherrill because i believe you could custom order it from them with different options. i have about 4 years on it and its looking pretty worn by now. i believe buckingham makes the saddles for sherrill. what are you currently useing? if you search back a bit i posted the same question and posted a pic of my saddle. if you search back its on page 4.

I have the ArborMaster Pro Series Versatile with the leg straps and the bosun.
Very nice saddle but I find the D rings too small for working.
It should have the D rings secured so they can`t flop around, sometimes it`s a hassle trying to snap your lanyard to the D ring because it has flopped back against the belt.
It also needs an additional belt keeper, I made one from leather and it works fine.
The saddle is very comfortable and well made.

I currently use the Master II that I purchased from Sherrill. It is a lot better than the old butt strap type saddle I did use. I didn’t buy one for years because I was told that the leg straps were “nut crunchers”. Not so with the Master II, the leg straps are very comfortable. The Master II has seven attachment points for your climbing line. When using the split tail climbing system you can clip into two different points and it works like the “rolling D” on the Traverse and Versatile.

The Master II is light, small and fits close so nothing flopping around to get snagged while in a tree. The new colors, green and yellow, are very cool too IMHO. It was well worth the investment.

I use the Jelco 1133. It's ultra-light and has plenty of snaps and loops for equip.

It's the ideal saddle for us split-tailers. Very comfortable and is certainly not the ball-buster my old Buckingham Master was. Love it!!:)

$199 at Sherrill's, spend the extra buck or let them price match to save your dollar. Sherrill's supports this industry in ways that Wespur and others cannot touch. They also keep this site available for all of us. They are also excellent people to deal with, and provide a lot more 'after the sale' support than most other places I've dealt with.

Go ahead, click on that flashing link at the top of the page and help support this site AND the industry as a whole. ;)

I completely agree with Brian (treeclimber165). Buy the saddle from Sherrill. Ask for Johnny Carter. He is a climber as well as the climbing tech at Sherrill and is very helpful when shopping for the best saddle for you. He helped me with my purchase and everything he told me was right on the mark.

i'm not knocking sherrill, i have spents thousands of dollars ordering from them. but wespur has them with the larger D rings. sherrill will also get them for you with the larger D rings but i'm not sure how long it will take. i bought mine from wespur because it was on the shelf with the larger D rings. i have no idea why guys prefer the smaller D rings.

I prefer BIG D`s .

They should be standard and the puny D`s should be special request.

Yer right. Someone must have come into my office and changed my book since I looked at it earlier. I could swear it said $199. They do have a price match policy, though.

I agree with the large D-ring thing. I'm still using an old-style Karl Kuemmerling belt because there is 2 layers of webbed strapping plus a metal strap holding the large D-rings to the belt. When I looked at the buckinghams a couple years ago, they only had one layer of cloth webbing holding the D-ring. Totally different styles now, though. Gonna have to head down to Vermeer and check them out. But I don't like the small D-rings.

To be fair, the Versatile is made two ways, with regular nylon or black brushed leather. The Wesspur site shows the nylon at $198, and the leather at $228. I am not at the store right now, but I'm pretty sure our Versatile is the one with leather, and yes, we'll price match on that. I will post tomorrow when I know for sure about the material.
-Sean

I've been climbing on a Weaver 1040 three D saddle (center D floats) for the last four years. It works well but my next saddle will be a 4D with individual leg loops.

Good Rigging is importing a new Bavarian saddle that is modular in that a batten amd shoulder straps can be added and removed easily. I'm going to check it out after I figure out how much I spent on this last excursion. Though the work in CO did help defray the expenses a bit.

I'm not looking forward to adding up all those reciepts I have in my luggage:rolleyes:

Where?

Where can you get a hold of a new Good Rigging saddle or a Komet Butterfly??

I was unable to find much.

Thanks

The only people carrying the butterfly , to my knowledge, is Fresco of MN.

Several companies are carrying the Bavarian saddle (Good is importing) the one I can recall is Aerial Equipment of IL. The had some 20 of them at the WAA and sold all of them.

I'll probably go with the Bavarian because it has the full bodey capability built in. I find my saddle sliding down my hips when rigging

Saddle search.

I have to buy a new saddle soon. I just realized that my saddle is older than my girlfriend. Not sure that all things get better with age, especially saddles.

Full body aside, would you prefer the Bavarian or the Komet?? Most here in Austin climb with OLD equipment. I am the only person I know of using split tails, etc.

I will contact my former employers and co-workers in deep Bavarian Superland (Munich) and see what they are using and where they can send me shopping. I'll keep all posted.

Fresco connection

Give Fresco a call or email:

[email protected]

At the ITCC in Seattle the Butterfly was THE most popular saddle among all of the climbers. About 25% of the men and women climbers had a Butterfly under them. The second most popular was not even close to the percentage of the total saddles.

That tells me something that I all ready knew. The Butterfly is the most comfortable saddle available right now.

Tom

John,

Is the the saddle that Greg is bringing over?

http://www.freeworker.de/store/docs/pd222276510.htm

The Euro is worth about 1$ US so it seems like a spendy saddle.

I sat in one of those last year at TCI. It seemd comfortable on the show room floor. No trees to climb so not a good test.

Last edited:
yup, thanks buddy.

KG27.JPG

Small world

I know that no one cares but Freeworker.de is in the same little town where I always stay in Germany. Grobenzell 82194, a suburb of Munich. I have searched all over for gear there and never found much.

Stuff can be closer than you think. Now if there was a place to buy gear here in Austin. Vermeer only carries Sherrill catalogs here.

Latest posts

Back