Brandy new 395xp! How to break it in? and warranty extension?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My old 395xp has a bad crank and it was time to get a new one.
So today was the day,
My local dealer just signed a agreement with Stihl not to carry Husky. and switched Husky to their rental location down the street 2 doors. I decided on the 295 over the 661 as it was about $200+ cheaper comes with a tuneup after break in 2yr warranty and whatever extra warranty I get with synthetic oil purchase matching Stihl and I may get a 36" bar with the Husky yet.
He wanted another $125 for a 36" bar.
I am /was their first Husky customer and they were a little fuzzy on the details of the warranty extension with a synthetic oil purchase since they had not gotten it in yet . The bookkeeper for both businesses promised me she knew the rep for many years and since they didn't have the synthetic oil yet so she is going to reach out to him and get it for me and register my saw for warranty.
I mentioned I wanted a 36" bar, it came with a 28." She said she would see what she can do with the rep about giving me a bar too since she didn't have one yet.
20161213_145310.jpg

I m wondering what oil/ratio to run for break in and how you guys break in a new saw.
THe store said to buy some premix for first tank and I have heard run it like you plan to use it.
I am going to use it on a mill most of the time and think that might be a bit harsh to start.
Let me know your thoughts.
Chad

Hard, but not milling... a least for a couple tanks (IMHO). Know how to tune the saw and keep it a bit rich. Ratio... don't have experience milling. I run 50:1, but I'd probably run 32-40:1 milling.

My old 395xp has a bad crank and it was time to get a new one.
So today was the day,
My local dealer just signed a agreement with Stihl not to carry Husky. and switched Husky to their rental location down the street 2 doors. I decided on the 295 over the 661 as it was about $200+ cheaper comes with a tuneup after break in 2yr warranty and whatever extra warranty I get with synthetic oil purchase matching Stihl and I may get a 36" bar with the Husky yet.
He wanted another $125 for a 36" bar.
I am /was their first Husky customer and they were a little fuzzy on the details of the warranty extension with a synthetic oil purchase since they had not gotten it in yet . The bookkeeper for both businesses promised me she knew the rep for many years and since they didn't have the synthetic oil yet so she is going to reach out to him and get it for me and register my saw for warranty.
I mentioned I wanted a 36" bar, it came with a 28." She said she would see what she can do with the rep about giving me a bar too since she didn't have one yet.
View attachment 543307

I m wondering what oil/ratio to run for break in and how you guys break in a new saw.
THe store said to buy some premix for first tank and I have heard run it like you plan to use it.
I am going to use it on a mill most of the time and think that might be a bit harsh to start.
Let me know your thoughts.
Chad
i would run 3 or 4 tanks through it and run 40:1 in my own opinion 50:1 is not nearly enough oil for milling and back out the h speed adjustment on your carb proly a 1/4 of a turn out.

I like to run the snot outta one new I know nothing about milling but I feel like it wouldn't hurt anything as long as you can keep it under a good load. My opinion if I was gonna mill I'd run 32:1 little extra oil ain't gonna hurt anything personally I run 40:1 but I don't mill or have anything larger than 70 cc

Most of the milling guys suggest 32:1...milling makes a lot of heat at the crank and the extra oil is cheap insurance. You own one of the best, if not THE best milling saws out there...congrats!

I'm not into milling , so when I got mine it was in with 50.1 with redline synthetic , then straight to work . It's never missed a beat .
Fantastic saws .

Latest posts

Back