Breaking chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have had a long run of milling with a 3120 using a 36 inch Oregon bar but I have recently begun breaking chains where I hadn't broke any before over a year of milling. Am wondering if the culprit is a slightly loose sprocket nose, it is now showing a bit of radial movement, is this a likely culprit? I have dressed the bar several times over the last year and it is in need again but am thinking maybe just toss it and start new again. The chains are fairly recent and I replaced the drive sprocket at the last chain replacement. Just haven't had this problem till now and it has happened of two different brands of chain. Thoughts on my problem? Thanks Bman

You will want to give that bar a good inspection check see if it is pinched
causing drag. how much oil is your chain oiler putting out. Everybody says
Increase the oil. Runs cooler.

Got the aux oiler keepin it well lubed. Cant seem to see any problem in the rails other than needing to be dressed clean of the ridges but maybe thats adding to it. Like I said, never had this prob till recently. I went ahead and ordered a new bar from Baileys this morning and will put on a new chain and drive sprocket just for good measure, Just curious where the trouble is. Maybe the last set of chains I modified had the rakers set to low, I guess we'll see when I fix up the new chain.

How about a pic of the broken chain?? It it breaking at the tie straps or the driver? Are you filing too low in the gullett or your rakers set too low? Just curious.....:monkey:
Scott

spacemule said:
Now I'm hearing Fleetwood Mac. ;)

And if you don’t love me now
You will never love me again
I can still hear you saying
You would never break the chain. (never break the chain)

Sorry couldn't help it. Now everyone will hopefully have that song stuck in their head.

:rock:

spacemule said:
Now I'm hearing Fleetwood Mac. ;)

Geezs I walked into that one didnt I. Its breaking at the cutter strap where the rivet goes thru the cutter hole. Hmm,I'm begining to think I set the rakers to low.

Are these chains breaking at the factory installed tie straps or your own? A worn out (flat) anvil on the bench mounted chain spinner will make a bad (weak) tie strap rivot.
Just a thought.

Based upon your description of where the chain broke, the following picture might help.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back